IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2016 IS 200t F sport brake DYI questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-19, 12:03 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 812 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT

PS don't do the drilled/slotted rotors. they suck. Extreme groaning.
Do they really suck that bad? I was thinking about picking some up for my RC when my stock ones decide to kick the bucket. Are there any good options?
Old 02-06-19, 12:17 PM
350phi
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

All you needed was two m8x1.25 bolts to remove the rotors.

instead of buying new rotors, you could have just had your rotors turned at a local machine shop. usually $15 each rotor. My car had warped rotors at around 20k. the brake lube is for moving pin calipers. usually calipers that have brackets like the stock rear caliper. I use brake quiet for the pads which I apply between the pad and shim. I never put it on the backside surface of the pad that's touching the pistons. Not sure why many people do it this way, I believe it's wrong. I've done over 300 brake jobs in my life. nothing wrong with drilled or slotted rotors. people say they get cracks which is a rare track situation. I'm running OEM isf drilled rotors from brembo. no issues.

Last edited by 350phi; 02-06-19 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-07-19, 08:44 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by Pittsy
Do they really suck that bad? I was thinking about picking some up for my RC when my stock ones decide to kick the bucket. Are there any good options?
I bought the stop tech ones (or was it powerstop) either way name brand. They stopped fine but groaned very loudly. Stock pads. The pads did not like the cuts in the rotor. Switched back to stock style rotors and all was normal again.

Originally Posted by 350phi
All you needed was two m8x1.25 bolts to remove the rotors.

instead of buying new rotors, you could have just had your rotors turned at a local machine shop. usually $15 each rotor. My car had warped rotors at around 20k. the brake lube is for moving pin calipers. usually calipers that have brackets like the stock rear caliper. I use brake quiet for the pads which I apply between the pad and shim. I never put it on the backside surface of the pad that's touching the pistons. Not sure why many people do it this way, I believe it's wrong. I've done over 300 brake jobs in my life. nothing wrong with drilled or slotted rotors. people say they get cracks which is a rare track situation. I'm running OEM isf drilled rotors from brembo. no issues.

The F Sport rotors have very little wiggle room as to manufactured allowed tolerance. @ min. thickness.

The manufacturer allows for 2mm of wear (1mm on each side) before requiring replacement for safety reasons. So basically as soon as you feel a lip on the rotor (1mm deep) they are done.

In my experience you can get about 15-20k miles out of a front rotor set on the F Sport
Old 02-07-19, 10:18 AM
itsx
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I bought the stop tech ones (or was it powerstop) either way name brand. They stopped fine but groaned very loudly. Stock pads. The pads did not like the cuts in the rotor. Switched back to stock style rotors and all was normal again.
That's weird. I'm running Stoptech Slotted Rotors, but with Carbotech 1521pads. It only groans when i'm barely lifting the brakes from a dead stop to roll like an inch as slow as i can.

When you installed the Stock rotors and pads did you bed them in? Like is there a bedding process for stock rotors/pads or blank faced rotors with stock pads?
Old 02-07-19, 10:22 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by itsx
That's weird. I'm running Stoptech Slotted Rotors, but with Carbotech 1521pads. It only groans when i'm barely lifting the brakes from a dead stop to roll like an inch as slow as i can.

When you installed the Stock rotors and pads did you bed them in? Like is there a bedding process for stock rotors/pads or blank faced rotors with stock pads?
Interested in this. I'm perfectly fine with a groan when its described like ITSX said but if theyre groaning every time i touch the brake pedal im not sure Ill do that then.
Old 02-07-19, 10:42 AM
itsx
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Interested in this. I'm perfectly fine with a groan when its described like ITSX said but if theyre groaning every time i touch the brake pedal im not sure Ill do that then.
Just to clarify for my specific application. I have
Stoptech Cryo Treated Slotted Rotors
Carbotech Bobcat 1521 Pads

The rotors and pads were brand new when I did the bedding procedure

The bedding procedure I used was:
Stopping 60 - 30 firm steady braking
did that about 9 times, i ran out of road every 3 times so i had about a 2 minute window to get to my "starting" position

then did 60 - 5 foot all the way down 3 times, and drove home like a regular person
you can probably just park it somewhere and grab some food it'd be the same.

Old 02-07-19, 11:54 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by itsx
Just to clarify for my specific application. I have
Stoptech Cryo Treated Slotted Rotors
Carbotech Bobcat 1521 Pads

The rotors and pads were brand new when I did the bedding procedure

The bedding procedure I used was:
Stopping 60 - 30 firm steady braking
did that about 9 times, i ran out of road every 3 times so i had about a 2 minute window to get to my "starting" position

then did 60 - 5 foot all the way down 3 times, and drove home like a regular person
you can probably just park it somewhere and grab some food it'd be the same.
Thanks for providing how you did this.
Old 02-07-19, 12:55 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

That groan (without hearing it) sounds normal for any brakes...the way it's described.
It's when you just barely lift your foot and the car just starts to creep forward, you hear a groan, and the groan will stay if the car doesn't go any faster. It will happen with any brakes.
Old 02-07-19, 12:57 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Did you know that the Germans invented brake groan...first found in BMW's! LMAO!!!

Sorry...that has nothing to do with the thread. But if you laughed, then you probably understand what it means.
The following users liked this post:
Flash5 (02-07-19)
Old 02-07-19, 09:44 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Did you know that the Germans invented brake groan...first found in BMW's! LMAO!!!

Sorry...that has nothing to do with the thread. But if you laughed, then you probably understand what it means.
Idk why we don’t ALL just buy BMW’s they seem to invent EVERYTHING and it’s all QUALITY!
The following users liked this post:
Sasnuke (02-11-19)
Old 02-08-19, 12:02 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
That groan (without hearing it) sounds normal for any brakes...the way it's described.
It's when you just barely lift your foot and the car just starts to creep forward, you hear a groan, and the groan will stay if the car doesn't go any faster. It will happen with any brakes.
Yeah I knew that. Sometimes I like to play with my brakes till they make the noise haha. Just dont want any groaning under deceleration if that makes sense. creep groaning is fine.