IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Front Grill, Black or No?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-19, 09:55 AM
BLambo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Grill, Black or No?

To preface, I have a black 2015 IS350 F Sport. So, I plan to plasti-dip the chrome trim around the grill black (black plus glossifier). The decision I am unsure about lies in the fact that the grill itself is not black, but a dark gray that matches the F-Sport wheels. I like the gray grill matching the wheels, but not sure if it will look weird once I dip the chrome trim black. Should I dip the entire grill black along with the trim, or just dip the trim? Thoughts?

I have seen several images with blacked out chrome trim, but the grill itself is always already a black grill. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-04-19, 09:57 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 811 Likes on 410 Posts

If it were me, I would just have the chromes plastidipped, that being said I also would steer away from plastidip. Lots of members here use it with no complaints, but with my experience in the AZ sun is that it fades and deteriorates quickly!
Old 02-04-19, 09:57 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,172 Likes on 1,632 Posts

The grill being intricate as it is will look horrendous if plastidip starts peeling. And there'd be a million points for it to start peeling at.

If I were you I'd wrap the grill surround instead of dipping it.

there's some nice gloss black vinyl out.
Old 02-04-19, 10:31 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

I would agree on having the grill surround vinyl wrapped instead of using plastidip.
I have my chrome wrapped and never even notice that the grille isn't black.
Old 02-04-19, 10:38 AM
BLambo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. That's a solid point regarding the dip peeling all over the grill. I'll just do the chrome trim. I did get the window frame vinyl wrapped. How hard was vinyl wrapping the grill trim, or did you have it done? My guy said the grill may be difficult around the middle parts where it angles to points.
Old 02-04-19, 10:45 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 811 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by BLambo
Thanks for the feedback. That's a solid point regarding the dip peeling all over the grill. I'll just do the chrome trim. I did get the window frame vinyl wrapped. How hard was vinyl wrapping the grill trim, or did you have it done? My guy said the grill may be difficult around the middle parts where it angles to points.
I had all the chromes wrapped on my IS. My guy admitted it was pretty difficult, actually having to redo it once to get it perfect. Find a reputable shop to do it. Once its done right, itll last a really long time if you take care of it. Dip loves to peel. I stay away from that stuff at all costs.
Old 02-04-19, 11:04 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

At least one guy on here did the grill in three pieces, and said you have to look closely to see the seams. Shops I've asked said they'll only do it as one big piece, which of course will cost more.
Old 02-04-19, 12:06 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

I got a sheet of gloss black at home awaiting my chrome delete. Started over the weekend and....well I need some time to do this. The cutting around the edges is difficult. I did 2 trims and ripped it off.

My plan is to wrap the front grille surround in 3 pieces. I don't think it'd be Super hard done that way. Shops don't want to do that as 3 pieces as it's not too reputable. I've had 4 shops look at that grille sideways and a couple asked if I'd be ok with spraying it instead lol.

Plastidip won't last more than 6mo is my guess but may he more resistent to rock chips than paint??
Old 02-04-19, 12:45 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,172 Likes on 1,632 Posts

It's best to remove the grill from the bumper to wrap it. You can do it in sections (3 pieces too) but you'll want knifeless tape. i have some experience wrapping as i've wrapped some trim on my other Lexus. it's fun and satisfying to do.
My CT grill (similar to IS grill) ends up peeling at one particular point in the corners. But I did it with the grill on the car. I can do a perfect job if i remove the grill. Try it though. wrap is cheap.
Old 02-04-19, 12:59 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

I'd like to have the grille surround chromed black if possible.
Was toying with the idea of getting another surround and having it chromed black, then just swapping them out. Front bumper would have to come off and apart though. Not really wanting to do that again.

As for the Plastidip - i did my rear emblems a few years ago and they still look the same. We get temps from -30C to +30C, plus rain, plus snow, plus salt, plus brine...so it's fairly impressive it's lasted this long.

I did a vinyl wrap on the grille surround with Vivvid vinyl, in one piece. The lower half of the surround is surprisingly easy, but once you get pass the hourglass bend in the trim, what a disaster the rest of the way to the top.
Admittedly wrapping is not my forte, but it was harder than i thought. Let's say it looks good from far...I think you know how the rest of that saying goes.
Old 02-04-19, 01:41 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I'd like to have the grille surround chromed black if possible.
I'd still like to try black chroming the trim and emblems, as I'm not a big fan of the "total blackout" look. Customizers here say the Duplicolor Shadow spray is "alright" so I might just buy it and get some scrap chrome trim to experiment. They also say the vinyl is thicker and difficult to work with, and as a result charge DOUBLE to wrap.

My plan with the emblems is to do them on the car. Mask around them, then wipe everything with the Dip Release. Plastidip black, then peel it off the emblem pieces only, clean them, and spray the black chrome using the Plastidip on the paint background as the mask. Should then be easy to pull the Plasidip off the paint, as long as it doesn't sit too long as non-Pastidip product on it doesn't end up too well.
Old 02-04-19, 04:34 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
I'd still like to try black chroming the trim and emblems, as I'm not a big fan of the "total blackout" look. Customizers here say the Duplicolor Shadow spray is "alright" so I might just buy it and get some scrap chrome trim to experiment. They also say the vinyl is thicker and difficult to work with, and as a result charge DOUBLE to wrap.

My plan with the emblems is to do them on the car. Mask around them, then wipe everything with the Dip Release. Plastidip black, then peel it off the emblem pieces only, clean them, and spray the black chrome using the Plastidip on the paint background as the mask. Should then be easy to pull the Plasidip off the paint, as long as it doesn't sit too long as non-Pastidip product on it doesn't end up too well.
I just did this on Saturday.
Previously, I wrapped the L with a tinted transparent wrap intended for headlights. Same used on the front emblem. This created a black chrome look.

​​​​​​Preferred a spray and had the idea to use plastidip to mask surrounding area, exactly as you've described. I hadn't seen or heard of that before but makes sense. Funny that you mention it now ha.

Here's where I screwed up....
Even though plastidip is not the final product, layer it on think as though it were. Still needs to be peeled off. Good thinking with dip release but probably not necessary obviously don't get it too near the emblems.

Wait for plastidip to dry entirely before spraying with paint. I used Tamiya and I believe it bled in with the plastidip and left a small about of paint on the clear coat, underneath the plastidip covered area. It probably dried about 30 minutes...I thought it was good to go. Talk about stoopid . It's not horrible and will clay right off but just throwing it out there in case I can save you the heart ache!
Old 02-04-19, 04:46 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Thanks, I figured it should work. Never Plastidipped before, but I've seen it go wonky if you spray something else on top, thus suggesting the Release all over everything to make sure it comes off easily -- first off the emblems, then off the Plastidip base + emblem paint on the masked paint surface. And yes, should spray enough just as if you're doing a "regular" job, so it'll peel properly. I gather you only did one or two layers then, that the Tamiya went through it? Did it peel off the emblems nicely to begin with, leaving only them exposed for painting? If I can get a decent look from practice on some scrap chrome I think I'll give it a try, along with the other trim.
Old 02-04-19, 05:11 PM
HOMER350
Racer

I did three coats, enough that it pulled off the lettering okay, but not great 1st warning I failed to heed. But, it did leave some little crumbles of plastidip dip around the edges of the emblems. A little of this is expected. So I took a fine point and picked away at them so I had a clean line.

I intended for medium thickness as I feared if it were too thick it may peel off too much exposing the surrounding area.....which I should know better being that it's not the 1st time I've played this game. Just layer it on there. 4-6 coats after your initial light spray. You want it well protected.

Really curious thought about doing this for the other trim pieces. However, just masking is pretty straight forward no? Easier to get the masking tape alighed well, with the emblems it's kind of out of the question.

I plan to wrap mine when I have a good day of sunlight and time to get it done.

Keep me posted really curious how it turns out. I may redo mine.

​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
AtomicAWD (02-04-19)
Old 02-04-19, 05:21 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Thanks, will be sure to layer it well. That's why I considered the release, so it'll come off easier from the emblems and hopefully from the car surface too since it'll have other gunk on it. As you said, could always use a blade around to help it in case it doesn't break well. It's basically the opposite of what's usually done, leaving the backing on. Yours looks quite dark, did you use the smoke Tamiya?

The side and grill trim should be a piece of cake -- just mask them off and spray. Only consideration is its permanency, thus why I want some practice material.

Quick Reply: Front Grill, Black or No?