Ok shop ran a test again on battery crank kicked 700
but 548 and said Battery test failed
But the battery is only 7 months old?
Old 02-05-19, 03:05 PM
aznxdragon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
When the clock is flickering, is anything else on the dash or doors flickering?
I ask because the circuit that effectively supplies the clock illumination with Power and Ground feeds many other things on the dash and doors with their illumination Power and Ground.
So if the clock is flickering, the rest have to be flickering too...they would have no choice!
Unless, the clock illumination is failing only...which considering the DRL's are flickering, sounds like an impossibility.
That would mean that both DRL's and the Clock all failed at the exact same time.
yes just the clock is flickering all rest of dash is fine.

right now I’m at the store where I got the battery and the DRL are off and won’t turn on with headlights i go to parking light option they turn on, I go to auto and the headlights go on but DRL off
Old 02-05-19, 03:51 PM
aznxdragon
Driver

This is the reading so they are swapping the battery now
Old 02-08-19, 11:37 AM
aznxdragon
Driver

Update - car went to Lexus Dealer, and they are stating there is a SHORT in the main harness which is causing the drop to the DRL. they cant pin point where exactly is the short, the suggestion is replace the main harness which is 4500 bucks PLUS labor costs.... is there a work around to have the DRL functional
Old 02-11-19, 10:17 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

I'm guessing whether there is a work around or not for the DRL's, is it a good idea...that is the real question.

Let's assume there is a short, what potential hazards can be caused by not correcting it and just bypassing the effected systems.
The car has exhibited 3 conditions so far: DRL's flicker, Clock illumination flickers, and Taillight fuse blew.
As much as they are all related to illumination, it's really three separate circuits.
Whatever is causing the issue could potentially start to effect more circuits in the vehicle if left alone.

I'm not saying the harness should be replaced, but at that price it would be cheaper to pay the labor to find the short and fix it. That's assuming a short is the issue.

I still can't fathom how only the clock flickers inside the vehicle...that pretty much says to me that if I followed the clock circuit back to it's illumination power and negative source, I should find the issue somewhere along the way.
The clock illumination is connected in parallel with so many other things that if the source was the issue, a lot more things would be flickering...therefore the clock circuit is being directly effected.
And whatever is effecting the Clock is also effecting the DRL's and Taillights...which are at opposite ends of the vehicle.

Just throwing it out there, but are there any signs of water intrusion or rodent intrusion in the vehicle?
I can't imagine for the life of me that the harness developed a short just like that. Was the vehicle in any kind of accident?
Old 02-11-19, 11:10 AM
aznxdragon
Driver

Update - Car was in an accident I was side swiped on driver side, back in Oct 2017. Lexus took apart the front area, that was damaged in the accident, to check if the harness was "retaped" or not clipped on correctly. They found the harness that ties the headlights/DRL together across the front by the radiator was not clipped right, he looked further in found the wire harness has started a hole in the area that was rubbing against the frame, peeled the wire housing apart found 3 wires crimped and one with exposed wiring, with it all apart he started to tap the wire and shake the wire to see if it causes any flickering.but it did not, so they took the car over the weekend, he cleaned up the wiring re crimped the exposed wires and attached the wire where it was supposed to be, so far they said its working.

I get the car tonight so i will see how she does driving home. Something that simple that I didn't think of, since I thought a year and some months later it occurs, i figured it was something else.

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I'm guessing whether there is a work around or not for the DRL's, is it a good idea...that is the real question.

Let's assume there is a short, what potential hazards can be caused by not correcting it and just bypassing the effected systems.
The car has exhibited 3 conditions so far: DRL's flicker, Clock illumination flickers, and Taillight fuse blew.
As much as they are all related to illumination, it's really three separate circuits.
Whatever is causing the issue could potentially start to effect more circuits in the vehicle if left alone.

I'm not saying the harness should be replaced, but at that price it would be cheaper to pay the labor to find the short and fix it. That's assuming a short is the issue.

I still can't fathom how only the clock flickers inside the vehicle...that pretty much says to me that if I followed the clock circuit back to it's illumination power and negative source, I should find the issue somewhere along the way.
The clock illumination is connected in parallel with so many other things that if the source was the issue, a lot more things would be flickering...therefore the clock circuit is being directly effected.
And whatever is effecting the Clock is also effecting the DRL's and Taillights...which are at opposite ends of the vehicle.

Just throwing it out there, but are there any signs of water intrusion or rodent intrusion in the vehicle?
I can't imagine for the life of me that the harness developed a short just like that. Was the vehicle in any kind of accident?
Old 02-11-19, 11:18 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

At least we now know the issue was the accident...and subsequently poor repair by the body shop.
I guess the only thing to do now is wait and see if the tech caught all the issues in his repair. Good on him for finding it.

@E46CT Sorry mate...the sky isn't falling on this one. Better cancel red alert and power down all weapons lol!!
Originally Posted by E46CT
That seems too much to be a coincidence that your clock, rear tail light, and front headlights are all flickering. Wonder if this is something to do with your computer that controls all these things. Guys I'm telling you we're going to start seeing a lot more problem threads it seems. Kind of disheartening!
Old 02-11-19, 02:24 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

If your car was repaired by a shop that is certified by the insurance at the time of accident then it should be covered by their lifetime warranty, I would call your insurance ASAP and report it along with the diagnosis from Lexus, push for a full harness replacement and cite hazardous Driving situation

Originally Posted by aznxdragon
Update - Car was in an accident I was side swiped on driver side, back in Oct 2017. Lexus took apart the front area, that was damaged in the accident, to check if the harness was "retaped" or not clipped on correctly. They found the harness that ties the headlights/DRL together across the front by the radiator was not clipped right, he looked further in found the wire harness has started a hole in the area that was rubbing against the frame, peeled the wire housing apart found 3 wires crimped and one with exposed wiring, with it all apart he started to tap the wire and shake the wire to see if it causes any flickering.but it did not, so they took the car over the weekend, he cleaned up the wiring re crimped the exposed wires and attached the wire where it was supposed to be, so far they said its working.

I get the car tonight so i will see how she does driving home. Something that simple that I didn't think of, since I thought a year and some months later it occurs, i figured it was something else.
Old 02-12-19, 06:15 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Just want to chime in and say I read this whole thread just now and I'm glad it looks to be coming to a happy ending. At least, one with a reasonable conclusion.

Get that in writing from the dealer who's looking at it now and I too would want some serious compensation from shop responsible. If a good shop yeah, all new harness etc.

Start to fix half-*** work as some kind of recovery mission and you're not left with the same results as doing right from beginning (based on my own half-*** experience).

Last edited by HOMER350; 02-12-19 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-13-19, 06:51 AM
aznxdragon
Driver

Update - I have had the car back A day so far and all is working no more flickering. Old insurance rep is trying to see if she can issue me a refund for the work performed total was ($360.00)
Old 02-13-19, 09:34 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by aznxdragon
Update - I have had the car back A day so far and all is working no more flickering. Old insurance rep is trying to see if she can issue me a refund for the work performed total was ($360.00)
good to hear