Headlamp flickering issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-19, 05:19 AM
aznxdragon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlamp flickering issue

2014 is350 f sport
So my headlights are doing a weird thing, this started this morning. they are flashing every now and then, turned off headlights and went to DRL only and it stopped, went to headlights on flashes every now and then, went back to auto flash every now and then seems to be after 15 min of driving. Noticed when i was driving behind a pick up, looked at the tailgate, looked like might of been the high beams flashing wasn’t too certain because it was a quick flash. I pulled off my work ramp stopped, sat in the parking lot and looked at the lights no flicker.

Also noticed on the way home yesterday the clock display light was flashing with the headlight set to auto, turned off auto and it stopped.

Yesterday morning my rear tail lights were out, found that to be the fuse was blown.

Any ideas on what this could be?

Old 02-05-19, 05:34 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

So i think the issue is clearly electrical rather than something mechanical.

The rear taillight fuse being blown is concerning...why would it blow? Fuses just don't blow for no reason.

Sounds like a loose ground connection that's effecting the entire vehicle. I would start with checking both battery cables to make sure they are tight on the battery.
Then check the negative cable of the battery to make sure it's connected to the chassis properly.
Then check all other ground straps...there's couple under the hood.

Do you have any aftermarket accessories installed?
Has the vehicle had any kind of service/repair recently?
Old 02-05-19, 05:38 AM
aznxdragon
Driver

Only repair it has had was back in December for tires being changed.

Could it be alternator going? car is going on 5 years and has about 140k.
Also just remembered last week, the NAVI/Radio rebooted on me while driving.
Old 02-05-19, 06:31 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aznxdragon
Only repair it has had was back in December for tires being changed.

Could it be alternator going? car is going on 5 years and has about 140k.
Also just remembered last week, the NAVI/Radio rebooted on me while driving.
The navi unit unfortunately has it's on issues aside from the vehicle...especially the 2014 models.
Rebooting randomly, black screen, and endless rebooting are the common problems.

If the alternator was going you would get a condition where the battery would simply run down and the vehicle would stall.
When you see lights flickering and random fuses blowing, then there is something loose somewhere.
The car runs off the battery, the alternator charges the battery, so realistically the issue is between the battery and the car.
Old 02-05-19, 07:02 AM
aznxdragon
Driver

Stepped out of the office for a quick break and took pictures of the neg. all looked fine and tight.

Old 02-05-19, 07:39 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Make sure nothing is obstructing the light sensor on the dash...just in case it's messing with the auto headlights.
The sensor is on the right side of the defrost vent for the windshield.

Also check the fuses for the headlights.
They are in the fuse box right behind the drivers headlight.
The cover should have a diagram inside of the fuses...you're looking for 15A H-LP LH-LO and RH-LO.
Make sure they are in there secure...take them out and check them if you want to be sure.

I'm still curious as to why the taillight fuse blew.
It's a 15A fuse under the dash, so for the amperage to exceed it and blow it, it would have to be some kind of short.

Just confirming there are not aftermarket accessories...like an autostart, light kit, dash cam, radar detector, etc.
Old 02-05-19, 08:27 AM
aznxdragon
Driver

Aftermarket No - other than intake and exhaust, and rr racing flash, which was done over a year ago.
I set up an appt after work with a local shop to check the alternator just to rule that out. Battery is new was replaced in June.

Only thing that was done was my son washed my car Sunday night, I moved the car back into the garage. woke up the next day the display took longer to launch than normal, didn't think anything of it, had someone beeping at me to tell me my tail lights were out, granted IDK how long they been out, found out the fuse was blown so replaced it.

This morning with the headlights but it was 6am so it was dark. the interior clock flashing happened yesterday at 430pm daylight but when i noticed it, i drove under some trees.. but it also happened Last week, and it was also dusk but was driving down a main road with no trees. I checked the sensor nothing is blocking it, I checked the auto headlight sensitivity setting it set all the way to the left, last night since i noticed the clock light flickering, I decided to move the sensitivity one notch to the right, (i dont think the one notch would cause the headlights to flicker like it did this AM would it?) My windshield is tinted at 35% been like that for 2 years now could that now be throwing it off'?
Old 02-05-19, 09:08 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aznxdragon
Only thing that was done was my son washed my car Sunday night, I moved the car back into the garage. woke up the next day the display took longer to launch than normal, didn't think anything of it, had someone beeping at me to tell me my tail lights were out, granted IDK how long they been out, found out the fuse was blown so replaced it.
I think you found the root problem right...the car wash.

In my first post I wonder why the fuse blew, cause fuses don't blow for no reason.
My thought is water got in a taillight section, either one of trunk lid or body side portions, and then into a bulb connector/socket, and that's what caused the fuse to blow.You replaced the fuse likely after the water dried out or moved on, so the lights work now, but there's still water in there causing the flickering. The illumination circuit is tied together front to back, so even if the headlights flicker, it likely has nothing to do with the headlights.

You could have the shop check the alternator, but honestly you're just wasting money there...check the taillights instead.
Old 02-05-19, 09:23 AM
aznxdragon
Driver

Ill check the tail light area see if there is water anywhere.

I just wouldn't think it was that, since i have washed my car many times before that, but def something to check also.

and thanks for chiming in and helping out
Old 02-05-19, 10:14 AM
aznxdragon
Driver

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I think you found the root problem right...the car wash.

In my first post I wonder why the fuse blew, cause fuses don't blow for no reason.
My thought is water got in a taillight section, either one of trunk lid or body side portions, and then into a bulb connector/socket, and that's what caused the fuse to blow.You replaced the fuse likely after the water dried out or moved on, so the lights work now, but there's still water in there causing the flickering. The illumination circuit is tied together front to back, so even if the headlights flicker, it likely has nothing to do with the headlights.

You could have the shop check the alternator, but honestly you're just wasting money there...check the taillights instead.
So i took apart the tails on my last break, checked sockets and the area where the LED board is and all looks pretty dry, I checked the fuse pulled them out and re seated them, checked the headlight housing area and looks dry also.

Old 02-05-19, 10:21 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,222 Likes on 1,661 Posts

That seems too much to be a coincidence that your clock, rear tail light, and front headlights are all flickering. Wonder if this is something to do with your computer that controls all these things. Guys I'm telling you we're going to start seeing a lot more problem threads it seems. Kind of disheartening!

Normally if its just the headlight i'd say your LED driver (it's a small silver box) is likely to blame. but seems all your stuff is going bonkers. Can you repeat it all the time? this may require some dealer diagnosis.
Old 02-05-19, 10:28 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

What about the taillights on the trunk lid? can you see any moisture in them?
Old 02-05-19, 10:28 AM
aznxdragon
Driver

Originally Posted by E46CT
That seems too much to be a coincidence that your clock, rear tail light, and front headlights are all flickering. Wonder if this is something to do with your computer that controls all these things. Guys I'm telling you we're going to start seeing a lot more problem threads it seems. Kind of disheartening!

Normally if its just the headlight i'd say your LED driver (it's a small silver box) is likely to blame. but seems all your stuff is going bonkers. Can you repeat it all the time? this may require some dealer diagnosis.
It just started the headlights today so no not really, Ill keep an eye on it as i drive home after work. and tomorrow morning when i drive into work. just really dont want people to think im flashing them when im not..
Old 02-05-19, 10:30 AM
aznxdragon
Driver

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
What about the taillights on the trunk lid? can you see any moisture in them?
i couldn't take off the carpet, but I did check inside the lens and all look dry inside, didn't see any trace of dry water.
Old 02-05-19, 10:30 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by E46CT

Maybe a little overly dramatic! LOL!
Btw...the Body ECU controls the lights...and no one has reported anything like this, or any other Body ECU related issues (that I'm aware of).

Quick Reply: Headlamp flickering issue