IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Brakes are squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-19, 04:27 PM
Thesickest
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Brakes are squeaking

Hey I was wondering if you guys have the same issue with the brakes? They are constantly squeaking and it’s getting pretty annoying..I went to the dealer and my service advisor said it’s a pretty common issue. I recently switched out my rear brakes and bought the front OEM pads because I thought that was the issue but they’re telling me my front pads still got life in them! I was hoping if anyone can give me some advice on how to stop the squeaking..
Old 02-06-19, 04:43 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Common on cars that use aggressive compounds. Best way to mitigate is wash your wheels and brakes with high pressure water regularly. And when you do do a brake job, use a high quality high temp lube in between all the parts and shims (very lightly)

My factory set squeaked loud.

My current set using my methods of install using high temp lube are 3/4 the way through and not a single squeak. And i havent even been washing them. (but i should be washing them)
Old 02-07-19, 03:37 PM
itsx
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

You could try to clean and apply some brake lubricant to the backs of the pads. I use copper anti-seize on the backs of pads.
My friend had a similar issue with her corolla, hawk hps pads on stoptech rotors. I just cleaned off all the brake dust and re-applied anti-seize. No more squeaks, and it's been 10k miles since it's happenned
Old 02-08-19, 09:37 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by Thesickest
Hey I was wondering if you guys have the same issue with the brakes? They are constantly squeaking and it’s getting pretty annoying..I went to the dealer and my service advisor said it’s a pretty common issue. I recently switched out my rear brakes and bought the front OEM pads because I thought that was the issue but they’re telling me my front pads still got life in them! I was hoping if anyone can give me some advice on how to stop the squeaking..
How cold is it? Do you park outside overnight?

I've been having squeaking in colder temps, typically if it's below freezing, since day 1. It's a function of the brake pad compound. That being said, it was getting to the point of being obnoxious when I had about 17,000 miles on the car, so I brought it into the dealer. They said my rotors were scored and resurfaced them under warranty. Even after that, they still squeaked when it was cold out, but the problem would go away after I drove for a few minutes - getting the brakes warmed up makes the issue go away for me.
Old 02-08-19, 09:51 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Porsche and AMG owners all over the forums complain of the same thing. just something you have to expect and live with on a car with aggressive and larger brakes. Once you enter a certain arena, everyone tends to experience similar issues.
Old 02-08-19, 11:29 AM
jaybawan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the very same issue with my IS350 F-sport, but like one of the response says, it goes away once you start driving. I have a louder squeak during cold days in winter but it still squeaks on warm days.
Old 02-08-19, 05:57 PM
Thesickest
Driver

Yeah I noticed it more on colder days but I figured it was because of the weather. it’s just sometimes when I pull into the driveway they tend to squeak and it kinda irritates me! Like an itch I can’t scratch lol..my car only has 25K on it and the dealer resurfaced my rotors at about the 20K mark which makes me think maybe Lexus factory brakes are just trash. Anyone here switched out the rotors and brakes for aftermarket?
Old 02-08-19, 07:27 PM
hanomag251
10th Gear

Yeah I noticed it more on colder days but I figured it was because of the weather. it’s just sometimes when I pull into the driveway they tend to squeak and it kinda irritates me! Like an itch I can’t scratch lol..my car only has 25K on it and the dealer resurfaced my rotors at about the 20K mark which makes me think maybe Lexus factory brakes are just trash. Anyone here switched out the rotors and brakes for aftermarket?
I had the squeaks start around the 20k mark. Resurfaced the rotors, went away for a while, then the squeaks came back even louder!
Got new OEM rotors and went with new Akebono brake pads. Now it only squeaks once on very cold mornings, other than that, no more embarrassing squeaks.
This is just for the fronts, the rears are still factory stock rotors/pads.
Old 02-09-19, 10:38 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

I wouldn't say the Lexus brakes are trash... But the cold weather does make a difference in squealing. My OEM F-Sport brakes never made a squeal until they started to wear out of course.

Originally Posted by hanomag251
I had the squeaks start around the 20k mark. Resurfaced the rotors, went away for a while, then the squeaks came back even louder!
Got new OEM rotors and went with new Akebono brake pads. Now it only squeaks once on very cold mornings, other than that, no more embarrassing squeaks.
This is just for the fronts, the rears are still factory stock rotors/pads.
Got the same setup as you, except I never resurfaced my rotors since I realized I'd most likely have to replace them in like 4-5k miles tops so I just got new rotors. And I agree with the squeaks in the cold mornings. The Akebonos seem to squeak on most mornings for me vs. the F-Sport brakes never did.
Old 02-25-19, 12:24 PM
aniks
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by premier3IS
I wouldn't say the Lexus brakes are trash... But the cold weather does make a difference in squealing. My OEM F-Sport brakes never made a squeal until they started to wear out of course.

Got the same setup as you, except I never resurfaced my rotors since I realized I'd most likely have to replace them in like 4-5k miles tops so I just got new rotors. And I agree with the squeaks in the cold mornings. The Akebonos seem to squeak on most mornings for me vs. the F-Sport brakes never did.

I've been reading around and it seems that everyone recommends Akebonos, but what kind aren't referenced. Could you tell me which ones you've got on yours?

I have a Non F-sport car and the squeal in the morning is unbearable. It's cold here and it seems to do it every time I start the car up and not just in the morning.
Old 02-25-19, 01:31 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by aniks
I've been reading around and it seems that everyone recommends Akebonos, but what kind aren't referenced. Could you tell me which ones you've got on yours?

I have a Non F-sport car and the squeal in the morning is unbearable. It's cold here and it seems to do it every time I start the car up and not just in the morning.
mine only does it the first 2-3x I push the brakes. Really bad when going out of my driveway, but by the time I use them a few times it’s gone. I’m in Canada, very cold, but again they stop squeaking a few min into my drive.
Old 02-25-19, 01:32 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

You have a non-F-sport with squeal? That is odd...

In any case, I would look at this thread and compare the brakes listed in there: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...rformance.html
The following users liked this post:
aniks (02-25-19)
Old 02-25-19, 02:06 PM
aniks
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arentz07
You have a non-F-sport with squeal? That is odd...

In any case, I would look at this thread and compare the brakes listed in there: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...rformance.html
Many thanks for your response! Yeah, it squeals every time I start it up. Goes away after 2 or so stops. I spend half my nights at my GF's apartment (non-covered parking lot) and half the time at my place (garaged parking) and it doesn't do it when I'm at my place. But if I go out to lunch, on the days it was garaged, it will still squeal initially.

If ceramics help with that, then I'll get them! If not, I'll talk to Lexus.
Old 02-25-19, 02:14 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Many thanks for your response! Yeah, it squeals every time I start it up. Goes away after 2 or so stops. I spend half my nights at my GF's apartment (non-covered parking lot) and half the time at my place (garaged parking) and it doesn't do it when I'm at my place. But if I go out to lunch, on the days it was garaged, it will still squeal initially.

If ceramics help with that, then I'll get them! If not, I'll talk to Lexus.
Akebono pads will still squeal in the cold (as mentioned above only for the first few touches of the brakes and mostly in reverse).
Old 02-25-19, 02:21 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Burrcold

Akebono pads will still squeal in the cold (as mentioned above only for the first few touches of the brakes and mostly in reverse).
Yeah, but I'd say that's "normal" even for the stock F Sport high-friction pads. If they squeal persistently, there might be an issue with the rotors. I have the OE F Sport pads, and they only squeal once or twice when it's cold. Sometimes they'll squeal again if I make a run down the interstate (which I assume allows lots of cold air to cool them down between uses).

Quick Reply: Brakes are squeaking