Would you roll your fenders?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-19, 05:15 AM
BlazeL
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Question Would you roll your fenders?

Hello all,
I'm not really interested in having it done to my car at the moment but just was thinking as I was looking through some pictures of builds of some users.
This might be frowned upon since I've never really seen anyone talking about it on here for the couple months I've been on here. I previously owned an STi and used to browse their forums daily and one really common topic over there was rolling fenders. Has anyone done it to their 3IS?? If not, why is that? Is this more of like a ricer thing that I'm just not aware of? Our car seems it would greatly benefit from it as the fender has an odd (in my opinion) negative angle that's not perpendicular to the wheels? I think even rolling them out like 1/4" would completely change the look/ stance of the car. Especially for those lowered and running spacers.
I added a picture below that @HOMER350 recently added as I think it's a pretty good representation of what I'm talking about.
Let me know your guys' thoughts.

Old 02-08-19, 08:45 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

I think the question shouldn't be "would", but rather "can".
On the rear, you can't. The fender is already factory rolled and sealed with seam sealer.
You can try to pull it, but anything notable will likely crack the paint.
The front you can get a slight roll out of...that's it.
Old 02-08-19, 08:47 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Never ever ever ever .... EVER. one of the things that grinds my gears. You go to stance meets and see people with rusted crusty peeling fenders and they wear it as a badge of honor. Tends to go with baggy pants. you get the idea.

It ruins and potentially cracks the paint. And there goes your ability to resell the car. not to mention it looks bad, uneven, wavy. you can tell from a mile away. Plus the 3IS fenders curve in for aero purposes. there's engineering behind it. just leave it be.

if you have to roll fenders, you need to get wheels that actually correctly fit your car. or raise your car up.
Old 02-08-19, 09:31 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

The ”negatice angle" / chamfered edge is common amongst many cars. Seemingly most Japanese (Toyota, Mazda, Acura). Look around and you'll see it on every other car.
​​​​​​
Yeah rolling the fenders is out.

Cars a long time ago were able to do this and it was a practical application. Not always that hideous hack-job described.
IDK about any others these days but yeah...just get what fits.

As for mine in that picture...I took a shot but I'll be replacing with smaller spacers.
Old 02-08-19, 09:35 AM
BlazeL
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I think the question shouldn't be "would", but rather "can".
On the rear, you can't. The fender is already factory rolled and sealed with seam sealer.
You can try to pull it, but anything notable will likely crack the paint.
The front you can get a slight roll out of...that's it.
A quick search and I found this... granted, I don't have the sound on the video so I can't hear what he's saying but I wonder how he was able to do it with the so-called seam sealer you're talking about. As these look to have the same 'negative angle' I was referring to.

Originally Posted by E46CT
Never ever ever ever .... EVER. one of the things that grinds my gears. You go to stance meets and see people with rusted crusty peeling fenders and they wear it as a badge of honor. Tends to go with baggy pants. you get the idea.

It ruins and potentially cracks the paint. And there goes your ability to resell the car. not to mention it looks bad, uneven, wavy. you can tell from a mile away. Plus the 3IS fenders curve in for aero purposes. there's engineering behind it. just leave it be.

if you have to roll fenders, you need to get wheels that actually correctly fit your car. or raise your car up.
I understand that things are engineered a certain way from the manufacturer.... and that would be all fine and dandy but in reality I would say 75%+ of the people on the forum have modified their car in some way that has went against the "engineering" that goes into the design of their cars.

Again, I'm not interested but I've seen many other car brand forums, Audi, Subrau, and yes E46CT, BMW, talk about rolling fenders so I was genuinely curious if somebody had tried it.
The following users liked this post:
mayuketchu (12-02-21)
Old 12-02-21, 09:40 AM
mayuketchu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlazeL

I understand that things are engineered a certain way from the manufacturer.... and that would be all fine and dandy but in reality I would say 75%+ of the people on the forum have modified their car in some way that has went against the "engineering" that goes into the design of their cars.

Again, I'm not interested but I've seen many other car brand forums, Audi, Subrau, and yes E46CT, BMW, talk about rolling fenders so I was genuinely curious if somebody had tried it.
These guys just hate anything fun lol
Old 12-02-21, 10:33 AM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

My car is considered decently modified.. I would not want anything done to my fenders lol.. above posters are right, looks super ghetto with wavy fenders and rust all over it. Even when people slam their cars and have that bumper fender connector / release looks so tacky. If you do get it rolled, get it done by a professional
Old 12-02-21, 10:55 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Absolutely not. It's kid stuff and just creates rusty banged up cars with rippled ugly wavey sheetmetal. best case scenario using youtube videos you won't get any rust but i can still tell a mile of way you poopoo'd all over every body panel by stretching the metal.

i used to bang the bmw boys hard back in the day for this rolling fender nonsense and catch so much heat from the kids for crappin on wavy fenders. but man when i used to go to car meets, rows and rows of cars with rusty torn up rippled up fenders. looks horrible. maybe they don't notice cause of the neon sunglasses they're inevitably wearing.

if you install wheels that fit correctly, there's no need to take a baseball bat to your ride.