IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Installing GS-F/RC-F front lower control arm bushing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-19, 06:00 AM
wirelessg
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar

i just checked google maps your 15 min from Markham, go see this guy if you want he’s the independent master Toyota tech I saw last week..

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-p...ationFlag=true

thats his ad his contact info is there. He would do the work right in front of you and surely charge you no more than 30 min labor, he was really good working on my car I got to sit beside him and watch everything
I had a conversation with the mechanic that you recommended. He's quoting 2.5 hours for the install because he said the lower control arm needs to be removed in order to install the bushing...

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
That's what I'm doing...waiting for the weather to get better.
Likely when I have the front up to put on the summer wheels I'll do it at the same time.
If you got jack stands, just use those.
With the car ramps once you loosen off the bushings the weight of the vehicle may cause the end of the control arm to move slightly.
It's not fall or nothing crazy like that, just might be a little hard to get the holes for the bolts lined up exactly...not the end of the world though, that's pretty easy to get around.

There's a couple shops in Richmond Hill near me if you need a recommendation.
That's a great a idea, kill two bird with one stone. A few mechanics that I've asked so far are quoting me over 2 hours for the job :/ I'm highly considering on doing this install myself. And yes.. I do have jack stands, I'll use those instead of the ramps.
Old 03-05-19, 06:06 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by wirelessg
I had a conversation with the mechanic that you recommended. He's quoting 2.5 hours for the install because he said the lower control arm needs to be removed in order to install the bushing...
Clearly thinks the bushing needs to be pressed out/in.
Obviously he hasn't done one before...but he shouldn't be guessing if he hasn't.

If it was a Toyota, then he is correct for the vast majority (if not all) their vehicles.
Old 03-05-19, 06:43 AM
wirelessg
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Clearly thinks the bushing needs to be pressed out/in.
Obviously he hasn't done one before...but he shouldn't be guessing if he hasn't.

If it was a Toyota, then he is correct for the vast majority (if not all) their vehicles.
I shared a photo of the bushing location (underneath the car) and explained that I have an entire new bracket/bushing.

I just shared this Youtube video to the mechanic:

Will have to wait and hear back if he'll lower the labour rate. Man I sound like I'm being cheap for haggling on the labour $$$ lol
Old 03-05-19, 06:48 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

The 3IS process is even easier than the ISF...the subframe is slightly different in that spot on the 3IS making it easier for the bushing to slide out.
Otherwise it's the same 4 bolts and 1 nut per bushing to remove.
Old 03-05-19, 08:23 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

There’s another video of the install with the RR Racing bushings. It really isn’t that complicated ESPECIALLY if you have a lift. So 2.5 hours is pushing it.
Old 03-05-19, 03:27 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

I shared a photo of the bushing location (underneath the car) and explained that I have an entire new bracket/bushing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWa3EDMvQXE&t=47s

Will have to wait and hear back if he'll lower the labour rate. Man I sound like I'm being cheap for haggling on the labour $$$ lol
see what he says once he sees the part, everyone quoted 2-3 hours till I showed pictures and a video
Old 03-06-19, 07:47 PM
darkfire
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, after I told my shop that pressing isn't required, he lowered the quote to 1.25 hours. I get them installed Friday.

Chris
Old 03-06-19, 09:18 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Flash5
There’s another video of the install with the RR Racing bushings. It really isn’t that complicated ESPECIALLY if you have a lift. So 2.5 hours is pushing it.
A lift really doesn't help much unless you have bad knees.
Old 03-06-19, 09:43 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWa3EDMvQXE&t=47s

Started as a good video, but he completely messed up the bushing lubrication. You do not lube the arm. There is absolutely no movement between the arm and center cylinder of the bushings. These parts are bolted tightly together when the nut is installed. The lube goes on the outside of the metal center cylinder of the bushing (where metal meets polyurethane).

Also, I did not see a torque wrench involved in the re-tightening of the bolts

Last edited by TOPENDMS; 03-06-19 at 09:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jbreezie (04-02-19)
Old 03-07-19, 10:57 AM
dteskmo
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TOPENDMS
Started as a good video, but he completely messed up the bushing lubrication. You do not lube the arm. There is absolutely no movement between the arm and center cylinder of the bushings. These parts are bolted tightly together when the nut is installed. The lube goes on the outside of the metal center cylinder of the bushing (where metal meets polyurethane).

Also, I did not see a torque wrench involved in the re-tightening of the bolts
RR Racing also states in their instructions to do this. I questioned it as well, but there is no harm in doing it.
Old 10-17-19, 09:30 AM
valeoray
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

How does one torque the nut to 83 ft-lbs with the wheels on the ground? Is there enough space to work with?

Also, something weird. I found in another thread different torque specs for the large bolt and the bracket ....different from post 18. Which one is correct?

Old 10-17-19, 09:45 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 202 Posts

I'd go to a car shop if you don't have jack stands. It is super easy to do it on a lift jack.

..... but I will never pay 350$ for that and not even 100$ ... call me cheap but 50$ is already expensive for a 15-minute job.

I would not get alignment right away if you do the above. Drive the car and if your call pulls to either side on a straight road then go for an alignment...

I did mine and didn't need an alignment but then again, your experience could be a different case.
Old 10-17-19, 10:14 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by s3v3n
I'd go to a car shop if you don't have jack stands. It is super easy to do it on a lift jack.

..... but I will never pay 350$ for that and not even 100$ ... call me cheap but 50$ is already expensive for a 15-minute job.

I would not get alignment right away if you do the above. Drive the car and if your call pulls to either side on a straight road then go for an alignment...

I did mine and didn't need an alignment but then again, your experience could be a different case.
Its a 30 min job from start to finish. A lot of people quote high because they think they have to press the bushings, show the shop a picture, tell them there’s no pressing & your friend had it done in 30 min. Some shops charge a minimum but not hard to find a shop that would charge a half hour. Alignment is a good assurance but not necessary. I installed mine, went for an alignment and the shop told me I was in spec for everything and didn’t charge me. But again it’s a cheap assurance.
Old 10-17-19, 10:16 AM
valeoray
Intermediate

Originally Posted by s3v3n

I have jack stands, but my jack isn't low enough to get it in to raise the entire front of the car. If I use the hydraulic jack on the pinch weld, is there a place on the frame where I can put the jack stand?
Old 10-17-19, 10:18 AM
valeoray
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
Its a 30 min job from start to finish. A lot of people quote high because they think they have to press the bushings, show the shop a picture, tell them there’s no pressing & your friend had it done in 30 min. Some shops charge a minimum but not hard to find a shop that would charge a half hour. Alignment is a good assurance but not necessary. I installed mine, went for an alignment and the shop told me I was in spec for everything and didn’t charge me. But again it’s a cheap assurance.
Hey Nick. I called that Toyota Master mechanic in Markham, and he wanted to charge me $90 per side. I explained how easy it was, but he wouldn't budge.

Quick Reply: Installing GS-F/RC-F front lower control arm bushing?