IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Installing GS-F/RC-F front lower control arm bushing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-20, 02:45 PM
octagon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whoismiked
It's been about 6 months since I installed mine, but if I am remembering correctly, once you break that 17mm bolt loose, it will spin freely because there is a nut on the top side, but you should be able to fit your hand in around to the top and hold the nut and back the bolt out. Same for putting it back in. If you hold it until it starts to get hand tight it will 'grap' because it has, I don't know the technical term, but the bolt has something like little teeth on one side that will grab what it being tightened to and from there you can tighten it the rest of the way with a socket and torque to spec.

I hope this makes sense, this install is super easy and took me about 30 minutes total, but I did have it on a lift, it could easily be done on jackstands though if you are not a large man and can fit under it.
Awesome! Thanks for clarifying. Yeah I can reach the nut by hand. I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to buy a flex head wrench or not to do this.
Old 02-15-20, 03:10 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by octagon
Awesome! Thanks for clarifying. Yeah I can reach the nut by hand. I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to buy a flex head wrench or not to do this.
Nope you should be just fine holding it. Glad I was able to help! I added some more info and corrected a lot of my horrible spelling mistakes with my last edit lol.
Old 03-30-20, 02:23 PM
Supra8
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar

i got the parts for $127 Canadian and paid a local shop 45$ for the install... only a 30 min job with a lift.
you don’t need an alignment after. Assuming your alignment know is good. My mechanic told me if we changed the whole control arm you would but not for these.
Where did you go to get them for $127 CAD? I live in Toronto, looking to avoid absurb shipping costs and markups
Old 03-30-20, 02:47 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Supra8
Where did you go to get them for $127 CAD? I live in Toronto, looking to avoid absurb shipping costs and markups
I bought them off a Lexus Dealer that sells on eBay. About a year and a half ago. As long as you don’t pay over $200 for the parts I’d say don’t stress it. Shipping is going to be crazy now. And it’s def worth it, car handles so much better now under hard braking and overall wheel feel is really improved. Tires wearing nice and even to.
The following users liked this post:
andwutfu (03-16-21)
Old 03-30-20, 04:39 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Check the megazip website as well...ships from Japan or UAE, but shipping cost is more than reasonable and i got them in 2 weeks.
Old 03-30-20, 05:06 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 202 Likes on 158 Posts

I got them from Monster Parts. Looks like their store is closing. 25% off all in stock parts. https://monsterparts.com/
Old 03-30-20, 07:38 PM
sunamer
Advanced

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

Just installed RC F bushing yesterday. The change is not dramatic, but definitely noticeable and welcome.
The ride is quite a bit firmer and more composed now. It feels like I am constantly in S+ mode, even when in (N or sport), while S+ mode now feeling like S++.
Now, there is quite a bit more feedback coming through the steering wheel. It is not huge, but there is def more information. I think the steering feels more immediate with less “rubberized” feel in the beginning of every input.
It does feel like there is less pulling to either side under heavy braking too.

Old bushings definitely show some signs of wear:

Last edited by sunamer; 03-30-20 at 07:47 PM.
andwutfu (03-16-21)
Old 03-31-20, 11:31 AM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

BIG QUESTION... last time I did the bushing on my 2014, we had the car on an alignment rack (all 4 wheels on ground). We had to pry to lower each arm enough to swap the bushings out. Is it easier on a frame lift rack? Anyone know???
Old 03-31-20, 12:58 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EvilJoker
BIG QUESTION... last time I did the bushing on my 2014, we had the car on an alignment rack (all 4 wheels on ground). We had to pry to lower each arm enough to swap the bushings out. Is it easier on a frame lift rack? Anyone know???
It will be easier as the vehicle weight is not sitting on the wheels...you would be able to move the control by hand to slide the bushing off/on.
EvilJoker (03-31-20)
Old 03-31-20, 02:09 PM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
It will be easier as the vehicle weight is not sitting on the wheels...you would be able to move the control by hand to slide the bushing off/on.
Awesome... thanks
Old 03-31-20, 06:43 PM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

As stated, it will be much easier without the weight of the vehicle in play. But remember, you should still preload the suspension before torquing the LCA spindle nut. If it is torqued with the suspension in full droop, it will induce additional stress into the bushing and lead to premature wear.
Old 04-01-20, 01:43 AM
sunamer
Advanced

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Tungstn-IS
As stated, it will be much easier without the weight of the vehicle in play. But remember, you should still preload the suspension before torquing the LCA spindle nut. If it is torqued with the suspension in full droop, it will induce additional stress into the bushing and lead to premature wear.
I was doing it with the wheels still on, but the car was sitting on the jack stands, so the wheels were off the ground. Had to help LCA with a pry bar a bit. The wheel did not move a lot when I was doing it though...
Old 07-19-20, 08:15 PM
LexusLgend
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tungstn-IS
Thanks for the tip on the spindle nut Tungstn-IS. Just confirming, will it be okay to torque the other bolts while I have the car off the ground, suspension unloaded?
Old 07-20-20, 05:21 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexusLgend
Thanks for the tip on the spindle nut Tungstn-IS. Just confirming, will it be okay to torque the other bolts while I have the car off the ground, suspension unloaded?
Yes it is.
LexusLgend (07-20-20)
Old 01-15-21, 11:00 AM
lottadik
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does car need alignment after Even if bolt marks match up to the old ones?

Quick Reply: Installing GS-F/RC-F front lower control arm bushing?