IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Spark Plugs Change or not at 60K?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-20, 07:17 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by s3v3n
Mine is 6 bangers and service manual says replace plugs at 60K. I'm still doing it at 40K and I really wanted to see all the 6 plugs look like (@40K). Since I will going to that route, might as well replace them.
Yeah 20k mile difference is a bit but nothing crazy. 100k to 40k is crazy haha but I understand that the I4 Turbo has much higher pressures etc due to forced induction so it makes sense.
Old 07-08-20, 07:47 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
Yeah 20k mile difference is a bit but nothing crazy. 100k to 40k is crazy haha but I understand that the I4 Turbo has much higher pressures etc due to forced induction so it makes sense.
Yes agreed 100% that 20K miles is a little too far but I really don't know the history of this car since I'm the second owner. Previous owner might have put regular gas on this.

KCLV is in 18 range and not even going to 20. When I did a seafoam to intake manifold last week, I get a lot of white/brownish smoke. Doing it again this week before getting the plugs done.
Old 07-08-20, 04:44 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by GR3Y5H3ART
FYI: these are the OEM Plugs out at 60K for reference in case you want to compare with yours

what was the gap on the old plugs?
Old 07-08-20, 11:01 PM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

Received 102 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Drcoffee
what was the gap on the old plugs?

i'll check them for ya tomorrow....couldn't hurt to ADD info for 3IS members
Old 07-09-20, 10:34 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

I’m going to do my plugs ASAP, so I know I’m not getting screwed by the shop can someone tell me approximately how long it takes from start to finish to change the plugs on a 2015 350?

thanks!
Old 07-09-20, 10:41 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
I’m going to do my plugs ASAP, so I know I’m not getting screwed by the shop can someone tell me approximately how long it takes from start to finish to change the plugs on a 2015 350?

thanks!
I'm also doing it this weekend and giving it 2~3 hours total including intake manifold seafoam process. Already have the flex ratcheting wrench for that dreaded screw. Will post pics on how 40K plugs look like.
Old 07-09-20, 10:48 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

I'm also doing it this weekend and giving it 2~3 hours total including intake manifold seafoam process. Already have the flex ratcheting wrench for that dreaded screw. Will post pics on how 40K plugs look like.
Do you have the 3.5 V6?
Old 07-09-20, 10:55 AM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

It was not that bad. Seriously. Im not sure of the experience level of those who found it difficult. But once you remove the air intake tube (2 worm screws and disconnect 1 hose) you have open access on the passenger side. On the drivers side, just remove the 10mm bolt at the rear securing the wire loom and unplug a connector at the front and the wire loom is flexible enough to get access to the coil packs and plugs. Do one at a time and use copper antiseize (just a thin smear on lower threads) and some dielectric grease on rubber boot/plug contact. Torque them to 12 ft# and move on. 45 minutes tops.
*use compressed air to blow out spark plug tubes before removing plugs.

if you are new to this, go buy a good torque wrench. Craftsman Beam type is just fine. You will need at least a 6” ratchet extension. I found 1/4” ratchet worked better On the 10mm bolts. 3/8” on the plugs.

Im a bit nervous about using seafoam on this engine. With a ~12:1 compression, yikes. I would not risk hydrolock. Thats just me.

Last edited by Drcoffee; 07-09-20 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-09-20, 11:02 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

It was not that bad. Seriously. Im not sure of the experience level of those who found it difficult. But once you remove the air intake tube (2 worm screws and disconnect 1 hose) you have open access on the passenger side. On the drivers side, just remove the 10mm bolt at the rear securing the wire loom and unplug a connector at the front and the wire loom is flexible enough to get access to the cool packs and plugs. Do one at a time and use copper antiseize (just a thin smear on lower threads) and some dielectric grease on rubber boot/plug contact. Torque them to 12# and move on. 45 minute tops.

if you are new to this, go buy a good torque wrench. Beam type is just fine. You will need at least a 6” ratchet extension. I found 1/4” ratchet worked better On the 10mm bolts. 3/8” on the plugs.
Awesome, thanks for the reply. So 1 hour should be more than enough for a professional mechanic, I’m getting quoted 28$ a plug in Canada from the dealer, didn’t want to buy online hearing about how a lot of plugs are fake.
Old 07-09-20, 11:26 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
Do you have the 3.5 V6?
Yes, got the V6 and I know it's a bit early, but getting bad gas mileage. Figured spending 100$ won't break my pocket. (well, 120 including seafoam lol)
Old 07-09-20, 11:38 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

The 350 takes way less time to do than the 250.
If it's you're first time, allot 2 hours to be on the safe side and just take your time...it's not a race for anyone to win.

If anyone with the 250 is wondering, the intake manifold has to come off to do the driver side plugs. I would allot 3 hours in this case...or a little more.
Old 07-09-20, 12:01 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Im a bit nervous about using seafoam on this engine. With a ~12:1 compression, yikes. I would not risk hydrolock. Thats just me.
I already did it and it also scared me a bit when the engine went limp mode (ultra quiet). It sounds like the engine was really drowning and about to die, but held up and didn't. Doing it again coz I got lots of dirty white and super white smoke the first time.
Old 07-09-20, 08:31 PM
Miintt
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

It was not that bad. Seriously. Im not sure of the experience level of those who found it difficult. But once you remove the air intake tube (2 worm screws and disconnect 1 hose) you have open access on the passenger side. On the drivers side, just remove the 10mm bolt at the rear securing the wire loom and unplug a connector at the front and the wire loom is flexible enough to get access to the coil packs and plugs. Do one at a time and use copper antiseize (just a thin smear on lower threads) and some dielectric grease on rubber boot/plug contact. Torque them to 12 ft# and move on. 45 minutes tops.

if you are new to this, go buy a good torque wrench. Craftsman Beam type is just fine. You will need at least a 6” ratchet extension. I found 1/4” ratchet worked better On the 10mm bolts. 3/8” on the plugs.

Can you explain why the compression matters when using seafoam? I have the 200T and I've been considering seafoaming too but I'm not sure if it's actually bad for the car. The 200T has a 10:1 compression I believe.
Old 07-09-20, 08:55 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

I already did it and it also scared me a bit when the engine went limp mode (ultra quiet). It sounds like the engine was really drowning and about to die, but held up and didn't. Doing it again coz I got lots of dirty white and super white smoke the first time.
I seafoamed a 2001 prelude but don’t know if I could do it to my IS. Not sure the risk is worth the reward. How scared were u when you were doing it? Did you go super slow and steady?
Old 07-10-20, 08:38 AM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Miintt
Can you explain why the compression matters when using seafoam? I have the 200T and I've been considering seafoaming too but I'm not sure if it's actually bad for the car. The 200T has a 10:1 compression I believe.
10:1 should be okay. Fluid is not compressible and a 12:1 comp ratio risks breaking pistons and rings with hydrolock.

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs Change or not at 60K?