IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Latest info on Lexus 4IS powerplant... (hold onto your seats for this one)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-19, 08:19 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,912 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
Lexus is quickly becoming an Acura and Buick competitor and they seem content with itbecause they are still selling vehicles.
I don't think so - or at least, I don't believe that's the way people see Lexus. Though Lexus is a "fancy Toyota" according to haters, I don't think anyone would question the quality of Lexus's products. Some might even see their slowness to adopt new tech as a sign of safe conservatism and a focus on reliability (for better or worse). I wouldn't even put Buick in the same category as Lexus - it's just not chasing the same market.
Old 08-08-19, 09:30 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Yup to the recent posts. Japanese companies, but Lexus specifically, are very conservative about bringing new tech/engines to the table. Just the way it always has been. Their reputation rides on their reliability and new engines and new tech just doesn't help them.... but also doesn't help them compete. So they are in sort of a catch 22. Be as competitive as possible but as reliable as possible. So as a result, lexus tends to fall on the lower end of the spectrum in terms of exciting.

it's mind boggling how much tech bmw and audi is advancing into their new cars.. too many to name. while the most exotic features of new lexuses is it connects to bluetooth
I think BMW, Audi, Merc, push the combustion engine tech really well and their design is incredible but really lack in key technology going forward. Their software expertise isn't at Silicon Valley levels...I've used all the new systems and they lag and the UI is decent but I still highly prefer Carplay and Android Auto. Tesla's UI is simply incredible and completely lag free (the major auto guys should set up shop in Silicon Valley). Also, BMW and Merc got caught with their pants down in EV tech and autonomous auto tech. Their motor designs are still playing catchup to the original Model S (which is 7 years old) and battery tech is completely reliant on 3rd parties like LG. An Audi E-tron has a 90 KWh battery but barely gets 200 miles of range (Model X, which is heavier, has 100 KWh battery and gets 350 miles). I think Honda does better than Toyota in terms of bringing new tech to the table so not all Japanese cars are behind. I could argue the NSX is more advanced than anything BMW has produced and fast as hell. Really, Lexus has rested on its laurels for too long...their new stuff isn't all that great and the rest of their fleet is old as hell.

I'm looking forward to their new engine lineup...I just hope the ancient 3.5L V-6 is put to rest.
Old 08-08-19, 09:51 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,215 Likes on 1,658 Posts

Don't get me wrong.. tech isn't the end all be all. I don't believe in owning tech for the sake of owning it. It's nice but at the end of the day, for me, I really don't care anymore and i just want my car to be somewhat nice and work every day with no fuss. that's why I love my CT200h F Sport. 40mpg, a bit of sport (decent handling for what it is), and golden reliability. Costs next to nothing to insure and maintain. Sort of a Prius without the penalty.. doesn't have the stigma or looks of a Prius.

This was my first CT.. i miss my baby blue. my current one is identical just white.

Old 08-18-19, 09:24 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

Will the 4IS have a touchscreen for Navigation/Entertainment?
Why does Lexus wait so long after the 2020 BMW 3 series has already been released?
It can't be that Lexus waits to see what BMW is going to release and then Lexus tries to up the ante,
because that has never happened in the past. So why wait 2 more yrs after the new 3 series?

I'm getting impatient waiting for the 4IS...so I need to wait till Sept 2020 to order a 4IS or Sept 2021?