IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

(2017 IS 200t) ok to drive in Normal mode at start up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-19, 05:32 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
^Exact same way i've been starting my car everr since the 2IS.

Newer engines dont require the long " warm up" times like before. Engineering speaking, the oils need to flow and lubricate all the pistons rings etc etc etc and thats best achieved driving the vehicle rather than at an idle. Just dont gun it on a cold engine.
Thanks to those who helped clear this up

My head's still quite a ways in the past on a lot of things.

I'll start my drive once rpms drop to normal idle position 1.2k. which is normally shortly after starting.

Heres one of the articles. They mention this being damaging until car is up to 40 deg. F.
Popular Mechanics

Regardless, I'm convinced now warmup times in the morning, lunch break, after work, and evening trips all need to be cut from the 2-3 minutes I give it now LOL
Old 02-21-19, 05:37 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Further incentive to move right away now, as the new exhaust is pretty loud in the underground when it's at 2K after startup. Putting 'er into gear quiets her right down.
Old 02-21-19, 10:33 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Thanks to those who helped clear this up

My head's still quite a ways in the past on a lot of things.

I'll start my drive once rpms drop to normal idle position 1.2k. which is normally shortly after starting.

Heres one of the articles. They mention this being damaging until car is up to 40 deg. F.
Popular Mechanics

Regardless, I'm convinced now warmup times in the morning, lunch break, after work, and evening trips all need to be cut from the 2-3 minutes I give it now LOL
Yeah that’s excessive. 1 minute MAX. 30 seconds to 45 seconds is a good startup sequence. Obviously, this applies to just cold starts, not when you’ve been away from the car for just 2-4 hours. Lol
Old 02-22-19, 05:49 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar

i think it’s climat dependent. A guy is California is not “warming up” his car the way I am, in Canada, on a -40 degrees winter day so cold my nav screen and hvac buttons barely work. In cold weather I always give the vehicle a few min to warm up. You want the oil and transfluid to warm up a bit before you take off... usually 5 min warm up on a cold day. The rest of the year I just wait maybe 15-30 seconds than go. Also I don’t drive it fast till it’s reached operating temperate which is half way on the temperature gauge.
Where in Canada do you live? -40? 👀

I live in Canada and have never seen that, thankfully. Lol
Old 02-22-19, 07:35 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by JBison73
Where in Canada do you live? -40? 👀

I live in Canada and have never seen that, thankfully. Lol
im in Ontario, small town outside of Ottawa. We hit as low as -45 sometimes during the winter and I don’t have a garage, those are the days I let it warm up 5 min before taking off.
Are u on west coast?
Old 02-22-19, 07:41 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar

im in Ontario, small town outside of Ottawa. We hit as low as -45 sometimes during the winter and I don’t have a garage, those are the days I let it warm up 5 min before taking off.
Are u on west coast?
Ah, makes sense. I lived in Ottawa for two years and I hated the winters there. I'm in southern Ontario, near Toronto. It gets cold but rarely, if ever do we see -40 temps. I'd say we average around -10ish.
Old 02-22-19, 09:23 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by JBison73
Ah, makes sense. I lived in Ottawa for two years and I hated the winters there. I'm in southern Ontario, near Toronto. It gets cold but rarely, if ever do we see -40 temps. I'd say we average around -10ish.
my sisters in Toronto, I love the weather there, wayyyy less snow and cold there. I just got back from visiting last week, a few colder days but nothing like here.

im especially jealous of west coasters.
Old 02-22-19, 09:51 AM
HOMER350
Racer

OK how about this one.....

Am I the only weirdo that let's the car "cool down / relax" after running real hard. I don't like to go immediately from a hard run then straight to killing the engine.

I either want to drive calmly for a minute first (pulling into the neighborhood) OR I let it idle for up to a minute before shutting down. I don't drive the car to it's absolute limits often so not a big one for me. Nor is it harmful I just am curious if there is still any logic to that lol.

Really, I forgot exactly why but I got this idea with my first car and just stuck with it.

​​​​​​
Old 02-22-19, 10:01 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by HOMER350
OK how about this one.....

Am I the only weirdo that let's the car "cool down / relax" after running real hard. I don't like to go immediately from a hard run then straight to killing the engine.

I either want to drive calmly for a minute first (pulling into the neighborhood) OR I let it idle for up to a minute before shutting down. I don't drive the car to it's absolute limits often so not a big one for me. Nor is it harmful I just am curious if there is still any logic to that lol.

Really, I forgot exactly why but I got this idea with my first car and just stuck with it.

​​​​​​
i have a long stretch of 4-5km of empty country road leading to my house, I like to let the car stretch out it’s legs a bit there, when I pull into the driveway I usually wait 10 seconds after putting it into park and killing it.
just one of those things that seems like it makes sense. I also will never start and pull away instantly,even with car warm I always wait a few seconds. Again don’t know why, probably because it’s my first really nice car and I treat it like my baby and doing those little things that *probably* don’t do anything significant long term just makes me feel better and like I’m doing something others aren’t.
Old 02-22-19, 10:14 AM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I fly small airplane, piston powered and my aircraft manual says no takeoff should be attempted when oil temperature hasn't reached 38 C (100 F) but I haven't seen something equivalent in my car's manual. I do have oil temperature readout in the aircraft (air cooled engine). When we fly we pretty much operate the engine close to its red line, that's a big difference from automotive world.

Last edited by Olasek; 02-22-19 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-22-19, 11:28 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

User manual for the 200t states let the car idle after long use or hard runs. I let it idle for about 2-3 minutes after driving hard especially since I’m running a tune that pushes the PSI higher.
The manual states: Make sure to idle the engine immediately after high speed driving or hill climbing. Stop the engine only after the turbocharger has cooled down. Failure to do so may cause damage to the turbocharger.
Old 02-22-19, 11:36 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Old 02-22-19, 02:25 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Yeah this is just a peace of mind and makes sense. Does it really matter, idk but I may look into it. Curious.

Turbo cars I know especially benefit from this. Never see anymore but people used to have turbo timers. It would allow you to remove the key, and leave the vehicle which would then shut off after a short period of time.
Old 02-22-19, 05:40 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I've seen this and follow the exact steps as you.. I'm still curious what changes Lexus made from the 2016 turbo version where it asked users to give a 1 min(?) idle before shutting down even under normal driving conditions.
Old 02-22-19, 11:07 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
I've seen this and follow the exact steps as you.. I'm still curious what changes Lexus made from the 2016 turbo version where it asked users to give a 1 min(?) idle before shutting down even under normal driving conditions.
Yeah I’m curious too. It changed in 2018. Maybe they did some more research and found that it wasn’t necessary to idle that long or they changed the design of the turbo slightly. My first post was from the actual 200t and the picture is from my actual 2018 manual so not sure.

Quick Reply: (2017 IS 200t) ok to drive in Normal mode at start up?