IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-19, 08:17 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by twixx007
In Germany I usually can get 98 at almost any Shell station. This is available due to all the Porsche's, Ferrari's, and Lambos.Other than that, almost all gas stations around me here in Germany carry 93.
The numbers I’m giving are the US AKI fuel numbers not the RON you guys use here. The pumps on our bases here in Germany show both numbers but I do in fact use 98 (93 in the US). I use 98 at the Esso stations off base when I have to.
Old 03-06-19, 09:39 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Redline007
Hello everyone I got a quick question I am considering get the IS 300 and I wanted to know if you can put
regular 87 octane gas in the car

Thank you

i put premium in my RX350 and that was the 2gr-fe engine with only 10.8:1 compression (if I’m not mistaken)
the 2gr-fse in the 3IS is 11.8:1 compression, higher than a e46 BMW M3 which was 11.5:1.... def wouldn’t put regular in it
Old 03-08-19, 09:16 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,185 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Always go the highest the manufacturer recommends. In any car.

Using lower octane fuel against the recommendation will result in not only in reduced performance, but reduced fuel economy long term. You'll be spending less short term but more long term.
Old 03-12-19, 03:17 AM
twixx007
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5

The numbers I’m giving are the US AKI fuel numbers not the RON you guys use here. The pumps on our bases here in Germany show both numbers but I do in fact use 98 (93 in the US). I use 98 at the Esso stations off base when I have to.
Fuel on base is horrible. Economy is sssoooo much better quality. I had fuels tests performed on both base gas vs economy (ESSO) using physicochemical characteristics such as density at 15 c , Reid Vapor Pressure (RVP), ASTM distillation Curve, Research Octane Number( RON), Motor Octane Number (MON), PIONA (Parrafins, Isoparrafins, Olefins, Naphthenes and Aromatics) percentages and Benzene content. The numbers are in favor of ESSO having a lot better results that are better for your engine which will burn cleaner.
Old 03-12-19, 05:40 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Fuel on base is horrible. Economy is sssoooo much better quality. I had fuels tests performed on both base gas vs economy (ESSO) using physicochemical characteristics such as density at 15 c , Reid Vapor Pressure (RVP), ASTM distillation Curve, Research Octane Number( RON), Motor Octane Number (MON), PIONA (Parrafins, Isoparrafins, Olefins, Naphthenes and Aromatics) percentages and Benzene content. The numbers are in favor of ESSO having a lot better results that are better for your engine which will burn cleaner.
Really? I was told since the whole contract with ESSO and stuff they also get supplied the same gas. In the states, I never got gas on base because I knew they went with the cheapest stuff possible, but I didn't think they did that here. Might just have to load up my Esso card and get gas off base every time then.
Old 03-12-19, 12:27 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 202 Posts

Hello everyone I got a quick question I am considering get the IS 300 and I wanted to know if you can put

Thank you
I would never put anything lower than 91 octane.
Old 03-12-19, 01:49 PM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Thank you
Don't listen to these sheep, there is absolutely no reason you can't run 87 octane rated fuel in your car. The manufacturer only recommends that you use 91 so they can help sell their car via hp/torque figures, as using 87 will lower the peak numbers via timing retardation.

Anyone that speaks against this is simply uneducated on the matter (no disrespect). This is direct from a Lexus master tech with over 25 years of experience, who has literally never even heard of a damage claim from use of 87.

If you want the most power out of your car, use 94. There is evidence (again, from the master tech), that the timing can indeed be advanced (under circumstances) to take advantage of it.

Next would be 93, then 92, then 91, and so on.

But if you're not concerned with POWER, then you don't have to use 91+.

Now for the bad news. If you don't use 91+, there is good evidence to support that you will lose efficiency, making a gas-guzzler engine even worse.

Your choice.
Old 03-12-19, 02:50 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Originally Posted by VisualEcho
Don't listen to these sheep, there is absolutely no reason you can't run 87 octane rated fuel in your car. The manufacturer only recommends that you use 91 so they can help sell their car via hp/torque figures, as using 87 will lower the peak numbers via timing retardation.

Anyone that speaks against this is simply uneducated on the matter (no disrespect). This is direct from a Lexus master tech with over 25 years of experience, who has literally never even heard of a damage claim from use of 87.

If you want the most power out of your car, use 94. There is evidence (again, from the master tech), that the timing can indeed be advanced (under circumstances) to take advantage of it.

Now for the bad news. If you don't use 91+, there is good evidence to support that you will lose efficiency, making a gas-guzzler engine even worse.

Your choice.

ROFL @ 25 years of experience!

Mr. Master Tech 25 years experience, check this out.

Last edited by s3v3n; 03-12-19 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-12-19, 02:50 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Your choice.
We already answered the question in pretty much the same way you did, if you look across the responses in the thread.

@sunamer did a test of 87 versus 91 a while back with his 350 and found some pretty noticeable differences in timing advance even at low RPM. Timing advance at low RPM = efficiency.
I'm not saying you will grenade your engine by using 87, but I am saying there are reasons besides "the manual says so" to run 91+.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-f-sport.html

To say we are uneducated or sheep is missing the bigger picture. If your non-car-enthusiast aunt asked you what fuel to put in her 5-series, would you tell her about timing advance? Would you explain how timing advance has an effect on peak power, throttle response, and gas mileage?

The OP doesn't care about all that timing advance stuff. He just wants to know what gas to put in the car. He never said anything about gas mileage, power, or anything of the sort. Most people should just follow the manual unless they know what they are doing.

Besides, you don't have to make yourself feel better by calling us names. I know good and well the ECU can adjust timing, as do most people on this forum, as they are car enthusiasts. The manual even says something along the lines of "87 can be used if no other fuel is available".

Of course people can put 87 in the car if they want. Is it actually a good idea? No.
The following users liked this post:
BrettKA7 (03-20-19)
Old 03-12-19, 03:24 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Extracted from an IS300 manual;

To the OP, again... as the 25 years of experience "master tech" says..... Your Choice!
The following users liked this post:
BrettKA7 (03-20-19)
Old 03-12-19, 11:31 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Lol, I guess some people just can't resist trying to feel better than the rest. It's not necessary to be so passive aggressive because we gave an opinion you didn't like. We were simply recommending what was best for the engine OVERALL. But as I always say in almost all my posts, to each their own it's not my car you're messing with.
Old 03-13-19, 02:45 AM
twixx007
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Really? I was told since the whole contract with ESSO and stuff they also get supplied the same gas. In the states, I never got gas on base because I knew they went with the cheapest stuff possible, but I didn't think they did that here. Might just have to load up my Esso card and get gas off base every time then.
That's exactly what I have been doing for a few years since being over here in Germany. I "re-charge" my ESSO card and get gas off base.
Old 03-13-19, 04:47 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

That's exactly what I have been doing for a few years since being over here in Germany. I "re-charge" my ESSO card and get gas off base.
I’m going to start doing that lol. It’s going to be a bigger pain in the ***, but worth it. I used to go out of my way to get Shell in the states because I like their Nitro+ V Power Premium haha.
Old 03-13-19, 05:42 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by s3v3n
ROFL @ 25 years of experience!
He was already a master tech at Toyota when I started there in 1996.

Originally Posted by arentz07
If your non-car-enthusiast aunt asked you what fuel to put in her 5-series, would you tell her about timing advance? Would you explain how timing advance has an effect on peak power, throttle response, and gas mileage?
I would.

Besides, you don't have to make yourself feel better by calling us names.
That wasn't quite the point, just that a lot of people don't question, when IMO they should.

Of course people can put 87 in the car if they want. Is it actually a good idea? No.
"Good idea" is a subjective term, not an objective term. Under certain circumstances it may be a good idea.

Originally Posted by s3v3n
Extracted from an IS300 manual; To the OP, again... as the 25 years of experience "master tech" says..... Your Choice!
I'll take the tech's advice over Toyota's CYA advice with absolutely no merit. Just show me one Lexus car that has had an engine replacement brought on by knocking because of low octane fuel use.

Lol, I guess some people just can't resist trying to feel better than the rest. It's not necessary to be so passive aggressive because we gave an opinion you didn't like. We were simply recommending what was best for the engine OVERALL. But as I always say in almost all my posts, to each their own it's not my car you're messing with.
I'm certainly not trying to feel better than anyone. But as my mom used to say, the proof's in the pudding. 0 detonation damage claims should be everyone's clue that what Toyota says is CYA/sales/gas mileage (under certain conditions), nothing more.
Old 03-13-19, 09:29 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

I'll take the tech's advice over Toyota's CYA advice with absolutely no merit. Just show me one Lexus car that has had an engine replacement brought on by knocking because of low octane fuel use.
Most likely due to people following the recommended fuel guidelines lol. I mean the gas tank door DOES say “Premium Only”.

Quick Reply: Gas