IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-19, 10:38 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5

Most likely due to people following the recommended fuel guidelines lol. I mean the gas tank door DOES say “Premium Only”.
Somewhat, but really, Toyota is a very smart company, and they take everything into consideration. I think it's just that the ECU is smart enough to handle 87 octane under any circumstances. If they didn't take that into account I think they would be remiss.
Old 03-13-19, 10:42 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by VisualEcho
Somewhat, but really, Toyota is a very smart company, and they take everything into consideration. I think it's just that the ECU is smart enough to handle 87 octane under any circumstances. If they didn't take that into account I think they would be remiss.
I’m not saying the car can’t handle regular, I’m saying it’s MOST likely a bad idea to run regular on a car tuned for 91 octane for a long time.
Old 03-13-19, 10:48 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

I’m not saying the car can’t handle regular, I’m saying it’s MOST likely a bad idea to run regular on a car tuned for 91 octane for a long time.
I hear you bro, I'm not trying to argue with you, you're one of my favorites .

I'm just stating the facts:

- Using gas with an octane rating of 87 isn't going to damage the engine
- Toyota recommends 91 because they use HP numbers to help sell cars
- There is good evidence across multiple data sets to suggest that you will get an increase in power at certain times if you use 93
- There is good evidence across multiple data sets to suggest that you'll get better gas mileage with higher rated octane gas

Pretty simple.
Old 03-13-19, 11:21 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 201 Posts

If you can't afford premium fuel, buy a TOYOTA! --------> https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...gular-gas.html

Last edited by s3v3n; 03-13-19 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-13-19, 12:39 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

I hear you bro, I'm not trying to argue with you, you're one of my favorites .

I'm just stating the facts:

- Using gas with an octane rating of 87 isn't going to damage the engine
- Toyota recommends 91 because they use HP numbers to help sell cars
- There is good evidence across multiple data sets to suggest that you will get an increase in power at certain times if you use 93
- There is good evidence across multiple data sets to suggest that you'll get better gas mileage with higher rated octane gas

Pretty simple.
Soooo, what would be the point in using 87 except for emergencies?
Old 03-13-19, 12:41 PM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Soooo, what would be the point in using 87 except for emergencies?
Money. Overall you'll save a lot more in money using 87 than the loss of efficiency wastes in gas, especially over 3 years, or even 10 years (reasonable for a Lexus).
Old 03-13-19, 01:09 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Current gas price in my area.

Regular (87) = 2.55/gallon
Premium (93) = 2.95/gallon

Using premium
I fill my tank every month (2.95 x 17.4gal = 51.33/month ) x12 = $615.96 / year x 10 years = 6,159.60

Using regular (2.55 x 17.4 = 44.37/month) x 12 =532.44 / year x 10 years = 5324.40

Difference of $83.52 a YEAR!

and

835.20 in 10 years

Difference is not even enough to buy tires for 10 years

C'MON MAN!
Old 03-13-19, 01:13 PM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Originally Posted by s3v3n
Difference is not even enough to buy tires for 10 years
Not everyone is like you, drives their car like you, or lives in your area. The prices will massively fluctuate within 3 years as well.

I shoot for Mecum auctions and drive mostly for a living (about 1 hour shooting for every 5 hours driving), and I can tell you it makes a big difference over the long haul.

Just keep doing what you're doing, no one is trying to convince you otherwise.
Old 03-13-19, 01:17 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Not everyone is like you, drives their car like you, or lives in your area. The prices will massively fluctuate within 3 years as well.

I shoot for Mecum auctions and drive mostly for a living (about 1 hour shooting for every 5 hours driving), and I can tell you it makes a big difference over the long haul.

Just keep doing what you're doing, no one is trying to convince you otherwise.

Completely agree, but also consider putting 87 will drop MPG so will also end up putting more gas which equals to more $.

... Why do I have a feeling we will never meet an end to this lol.
Old 03-13-19, 01:22 PM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Originally Posted by s3v3n
Completely agree, but also consider putting 87 will drop MPG so will also end up putting more gas which equals to more $.

... Why do I have a feeling we will never meet an end to this lol.
You're right, there is some efficiency loss under load under certain conditions, but on the highway at cruising speed at what, 2,000 rpm? I don't think it's much. Maybe that's a better argument for in-town driving.

I think there is a discussion like this on many forums, probably once every few months. To each their own I say, as long as they know the facts, like literally using 87 octane rated gas will not damage your engine, even if the manual says it might. It has literally never happened on this engine.
Old 03-13-19, 02:11 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

You're right, there is some efficiency loss under load under certain conditions, but on the highway at cruising speed at what, 2,000 rpm? I don't think it's much. Maybe that's a better argument for in-town driving.

I think there is a discussion like this on many forums, probably once every few months. To each their own I say, as long as they know the facts, like literally using 87 octane rated gas will not damage your engine, even if the manual says it might. It has literally never happened on this engine.
Here's my issue with saying "will not damage your engine". We both know the way the timing is reduced is a reactive, not proactive, operation. The car will reduce timing in response to knock. The KCLV is named that way because it is correcting the knock it's encountering.

Oh, and looks like this engine is capable of having issues due to using lower octane after all.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post7649994

25 years of anecdotes - that's just a lot of anecdotes. (Granted, this is just one story, but it's a story nonetheless. There's lots of discussion in that thread about this same subject, by the way - with lots of sifting through facts and hearsay - read: dealership recommendations.)

The fuel filler door says "PREMIUM UNLEADED ONLY", but I reckon that's just not good enough for some.
Old 03-13-19, 02:24 PM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arentz07
Oh, and looks like this engine is capable of having issues due to using lower octane after all.
My question is simple; did they replace the engine because of the use of 87 octane?

If the answer is no, then there is simply no discussion to be had.

And even if the answer was yes, what, once? Ever?

I mean, come on bro, you're literally grabbing at ghosts.
Old 03-13-19, 02:35 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

My question is simple; did they replace the engine because of the use of 87 octane?

If the answer is no, then there is simply no discussion to be had.

And even if the answer was yes, what, once? Ever?

I mean, come on bro, you're literally grabbing at ghosts.
They may not have replaced it, but it is still not "good" to be misfiring with a CEL. It would be annoying to have and should be avoided if possible.

In a thread in the NX forums, two 8AR-FTS engines were broken down at 60k miles probably due to misfiring caused by carbon build-up on the valves, however it is unclear if less than 91 gas was used or is at fault.
Old 03-13-19, 02:37 PM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pngo
They may not have replaced it, but it is still not "good" to be misfiring with a CEL. It would be annoying to have and should be avoided if possible.
I agree with that, I just feel like if it were a real issue we'd see a lot more of this sort of thing, and we just don't. Maybe something else was wrong with the car? Maybe he was driving it like he stole it constantly, running 87? Who knows?
Old 03-14-19, 12:02 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

I agree with that, I just feel like if it were a real issue we'd see a lot more of this sort of thing, and we just don't. Maybe something else was wrong with the car? Maybe he was driving it like he stole it constantly, running 87? Who knows?
I still don't think you have a strong argument. I would take an educated guess and say 98% of drivers driving Lexus' that require premium do so. You want proof of engines that were destroyed due to running 87. You won't hear about them because people don't run 87 lol.

Quick Reply: Gas