IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Are Centric rotors recommended for 2016 IS350 F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-19, 08:13 AM
sarun6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Centric rotors recommended for 2016 IS350 F-Sport

Recently had a complimentary inspection at the Lexus dealership. Was told that the front brakes are at 2mm and rears 7mm. Lexus recommended me to change the front brakes. I asked if rotors need replacing also and they said no. The following day, I heard some noise from the rear wheels (not sure if brakes and rotors scraping?). I bought the brake pads but didn't purchase the rotors yet. The cost of labor to change the pads vs pads & rotors is the same. I purchased the vehicle about 5 months ago.I am suprised the brakes need replacing just after 5 months because I figured the dealerships replace them if they're less than 50% or something. Anyways, wondering if I should change my rotors also and if so, any recommended rotors? Blanks are fine with me.
Old 03-04-19, 08:57 AM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

How many miles did you drive in those 5 minutes? Are you an aggressive driver?

For your pads to go down to 2mm after 5 months is pretty high IMO. Your purchase documentation should include what the pads were measured at during inspection.
Old 03-04-19, 10:00 AM
itsx
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

You may not need to replace rotors. To be sure you'd have to measure them and see if they're still within tolerance. They have a minimum thickness measurement. To measure, you measure at 4 parts, the 0, 90, 180, and 270 degrees to see if they measure relatively the same. Obviously if your rotors are found to be warped, or uneven wear, then you'd need to replace rotors. As far as pad wear, it's known that the oem f sport pads aren't long lasting.

I personally don't see a real need to get brakes done at the dealership, I prefer going to an indy/local trusted mechanic or doing it myself.

I buy stoptech/centric rotors. I put blanks on my friends car, and slotted on my own. All about personal preference and driving style.
Some members like using akebono pads bc of how little brake dust they create, Some members just use the oem f sport pads, and oem non f sport pads.

There's other brake pad brands out there that cater to different driving styles.
Some popular ones that I have used in the past are EBC Yellow, Hawk HPS, Carbotech 1521. These pads are more geared for the aggressive driver.

Something to note, when changing pads, makes sure you get the pads bedded. Each manufacturer has different padding procedures.

Last edited by itsx; 03-04-19 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-06-19, 11:28 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by itsx
You may not need to replace rotors. To be sure you'd have to measure them and see if they're still within tolerance. They have a minimum thickness measurement. To measure, you measure at 4 parts, the 0, 90, 180, and 270 degrees to see if they measure relatively the same. Obviously if your rotors are found to be warped, or uneven wear, then you'd need to replace rotors. As far as pad wear, it's known that the oem f sport pads aren't long lasting.

I personally don't see a real need to get brakes done at the dealership, I prefer going to an indy/local trusted mechanic or doing it myself.

I buy stoptech/centric rotors. I put blanks on my friends car, and slotted on my own. All about personal preference and driving style.
Some members like using akebono pads bc of how little brake dust they create, Some members just use the oem f sport pads, and oem non f sport pads.

There's other brake pad brands out there that cater to different driving styles.
Some popular ones that I have used in the past are EBC Yellow, Hawk HPS, Carbotech 1521. These pads are more geared for the aggressive driver.

Something to note, when changing pads, makes sure you get the pads bedded. Each manufacturer has different padding procedures.
what in your opinion is the difference in performance and wear etc between slotted vs blank?
same question about hawk hps, performance, wear, price, noise vs ceramic or factory pads.
Old 03-06-19, 07:30 PM
itsx
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar

what in your opinion is the difference in performance and wear etc between slotted vs blank?
same question about hawk hps, performance, wear, price, noise vs ceramic or factory pads.
If you don't do any AutoX or Track Days, or any form of driving of that nature where you are constantly demanding brakes, then slotted rotors, when used in conjunction with the appropriate pads and brake fluid make sense.
IIRC slotted rotors are more better than blank faced rotors due to the slots dissapating gasses from the brake rotor that trap heat. These gasses are produced as a byproduct of brake pads being used. Also, slotted/drilled rotors will wear your pads out faster.

For a daily application where you only drive city traffic, and fwy traffic, including low speed stop and go, oem blank style rotors from a good manufacturer is all you need. Same thing with pads. Any pad from a reputable manufacturer will be sufficient.

If you don't do or demand the same level of braking performance that you would from hpde/autoX, then the only other reason I can think to get slotted, or drilled, or slotted + drilled would be purely be for aesthetics.

Brake pads are a tricky subject. I typically ask friends who do trackdays or hpde for pad recommendations. One thing to note is that different pads perform differently based on weight of vehicle, as well as how well your brake fluid is. I am a fan of HPS and EBC Yellow. I usually just see what's available and/or cheaper if it's for a friend. I currently use carbotech 1521 pads, haven't decided what I'll do next. It also depends on what pads you had previously, I prefer not to switch brands around during the life of the rotor due to the need of bedding pads and cleaning rotor surfaces.

So if you're not sure when the brake fluid was done, and you're not intending on doing any hpde/autox events do a brake flush with any off the shelf dot 3. I use the O'Reilly brand.
Pick a brake pad based on your driving style and routine. If you want a super low dust option, the akebonos aren't a bad choice.
Same with rotors. Blanks if you don't hpde/autoX, unless you're going for that look.
Old 03-07-19, 08:58 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

A few weeks ago, i got Centric High Carbon rotors & Akebono pads. Works like a charm & no dust!
Old 05-01-19, 08:48 AM
sarun6
Driver School Candidate

What was the part number of the Centric rotors you got? Was it for a 2016 IS350 F-Sport also?
Old 05-01-19, 10:28 AM
AVIAT0R
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Where do you guys get your Akebono pads from in Canada? How much CAD does it cost?
Old 05-01-19, 10:43 AM
sarun6
Driver School Candidate

Usually get them from Amazon for about $75 CAD. I know it's also available from RockAuto for cheaper but the shipping kills the deal.
Old 05-01-19, 12:25 PM
AVIAT0R
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sarun6
Usually get them from Amazon for about $75 CAD. I know it's also available from RockAuto for cheaper but the shipping kills the deal.
Oh okay thank you sarun6.