IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Slammed 2015 Lexus IS F Sport Is a Real Show Stopper

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-19 | 01:38 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

This looks pretty good to me, and I'm pretty picky and particular.

The feedback is shocking to say the least. And don't forget, this is someones baby .. 'your cars ugly' comments can be hurtful.

All of a sudden air suspension is 'too low'? SKIPPER rear quad diffuser is rice? Adding side splitter add-ons is 'too many splitters'?

The wheels aren't my taste, but they are SSR, so I respect them more than most off-brands.
Old 03-07-19 | 01:47 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Same colour as mine, and in some ways similar to what I intend to do. Won't slam it, black-out, or put on massive wheels, but will look at spoiler(s), gap reduction, and doing something with the chrome trim.

I wouldn't call it a "show-stopper" as I agree to some extent that it's not really unique in mods, but somewhat typical.
Old 03-07-19 | 02:16 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TOPENDMS
this is someones baby .. 'your cars ugly' comments can be hurtful.
I skimmed the entire thread and the only instance of the word "ugly" was in your post. Nobody else used that word here. Just for the record.
Old 03-07-19 | 02:22 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Originally Posted by E46CT
I skimmed the entire thread and the only instance of the word "ugly" was in your post. Nobody else used that word here. Just for the record.
Somebody called it "hideous", semantics...for the record.
Old 03-07-19 | 05:56 PM
osiriskidd
Driver School Candidate

its a nice looking car.
amazing how its 2019 and a lot of people don't understand how air bag suspension works.
Old 03-07-19 | 08:33 PM
mrmle03
Driver School Candidate

WET! What decklid spoiler is that?
Old 03-07-19 | 09:58 PM
jnesss
Driver

Originally Posted by mrmle03
WET! What decklid spoiler is that?
artisan spirits.
Old 03-07-19 | 10:17 PM
jnesss
Driver

Right I'll never understand the appeal behind this look. Especially once you get past a certain age, or at a point in your life where you're financially able to buy a fairly relatively "expensive" premium car. It's not like we're on Civic forums where these kind of modifications is to be expected. Kind of makes you scratch your head.

It's hard to come down on this kind of stuff cause it's someone's personal taste and personal car. And behind the car could be a genuinely nice person. But at the same time, some day these cars will end up in the hands of future enthusiasts, second and third owners, and also do share the same roads with all of us. In other words, the way you modify your car has the potential to affect or inconvenience others.

I can elaborate bullet point style but would rather not go off topic. Just elaborating a little on above.
please elaborate on what you mean by having a modified vehicle and the potential to affect or inconvenience others for future enthusiasts?
Old 03-07-19 | 11:16 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arentz07
I'm a fan of the diffuser and spoiler, and even the wheels, but the drop was too much for me. If all I can think about is "how am I going to drive this without scraping on a pebble", you have gone too far.
Lol I’m on RSR Downs and I’m already scraping my wind deflectors everywhere. I’m always waiting for that scrape to happen. Anyways, to each their own if it’s on bags then cool just raise it up once you’re done showing off. I personally don’t like the slammed look, but everyone has different tastes.
Old 03-08-19 | 08:49 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jnesss
please elaborate on what you mean by having a modified vehicle and the potential to affect or inconvenience others for future enthusiasts?
I'm actually a veteran on this very topic and have done this song and dance on other forums for almost 10 years.

There's two components to this. One, the aesthetics. Sure, do what you please. We're just saying we don't like that direction and trend. Two, for me at least, the way some mods can be detrimental to others. In various ways.

I'm one of the strongest car modifiers around, particularly in the past. But the right modifications, mostly. I don't modify that much these days. Too old for that. I'd rather spend my time learning cooking or volunteering for cleaning up the beach.--actual important things. I'm one of the first if not the first to do a lot of car mods, unique car mods. I can name some of them if you want. Looking back on it, I've wasted a lot of money on it. If I could do it all over again, I'd be a lot more selective and restrained in what I spent money on mod wise. But one thing is certain I never modded to the detriment of others. Except maybe for loud exhausts, I admit =( But never did delete my cats at least! =) But that's life! It's about learning. And I suppose that's a part of what some of you who like these mods are doing. Do you think you'll do these mods in 10 years time? Probably not. Car guys tend to mellow out and drive more "normal" cars.

So this isn't about modifications in a general sense as you seem to be implying, but about particular modifications. Particularly those that can affect people for the worse. I can dissect this bullet point point by point. And I already know all the responses you'll give to my responses. As I said I know the song and dance. I know car culture. The guy who started the culture you're in and like is actually a friend of a friend. I know all the players and the who's whos. I'm not just an outsider shaking my finger at "the kids." I've done all the car meets, car shows, under the sun. I know the history of certain car lifestyles and mods, when they started, what transformed into what. I'm 40 steps ahead on this.

So I hope that gives you some perspective where I am coming from as well as others who don't agree with the low/blacked out/big wheel/rubberband tire/stanced/slammed/10 diffusers look. Aside from the way some mods can affect others

For those implying some here (possibly me) don't know what's what. I know exactly what's what. I wish I didn't!

Didn't want to go beyond what I've initially expressed in this thread: simply that It's not my taste and it's like wearing baggy pants. But since you asked.

So my answer to your question would involve detail and nuance to some degree. If you're actually objectively interested, I possibly could. But if you're just looking for a response just so you can fight, I'd rather not waste any more time on the subject.

Old 03-08-19 | 09:14 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

With regards to visual mods, so much is a matter of personal taste but some is just plain wrong. Not sure if it's still a trend, but there was this thing about "clear corners". Made no sense -- really, you don't like that colour or something? It's a SAFETY issue, there for a reason. Then there were other guys talking about removing things like seatbelts on their daily drivers to lose weight for better 1/4 mile times. There's such a thing as mods then there's stuff that's non-sensical and reckless. If it doesn't affect other people negatively, go for it and waste your money if it makes you happy, like kids who get tattoos then a couple years later have remorse and spend 10x the amount to get them removed. Plenty of manufacturers and shops around that will happily separate it from you.
Old 03-08-19 | 09:27 AM
ayotomy
Driver School Candidate

I'm actually a veteran on this very topic and have done this song and dance on other forums for almost 10 years.

There's two components to this. One, the aesthetics. Sure, do what you please. We're just saying we don't like that direction and trend. Two, for me at least, the way some mods can be detrimental to others. In various ways.

I'm one of the strongest car modifiers around, particularly in the past. But the right modifications, mostly. I don't modify that much th....
Are you gatekeeping on how to "mod" cars? This "ugly" IS has grown men feeling some type of way...

Last edited by ayotomy; 03-08-19 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-08-19 | 09:48 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ayotomy
Are you gatekeeping on how to "mod" cars? This "ugly" IS has grown men feeling some type of way...
Apparently there was no car-modifying done before he came along.
Old 03-08-19 | 10:02 AM
Intermediate

Holy crap, did I read that long winded essay of a response right? You admitted to wasting money on mods in the past, yet you are slamming on someone doing the same as you did years later?

Dude... you post opinions too much. On behalf of maybe 99% of us on this forum, please stop with the hating. We get it. you like to be "professional."

If slammed cars on bags with aftermarket aero are not your cup of tea, you don't have to drink it.
Old 03-08-19 | 10:04 AM
Intermediate

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present/884151-all-3is-members-please-read-establishing-a-sense-of-community-in-the-3-gen-is-forum.html

Quick Reply: Slammed 2015 Lexus IS F Sport Is a Real Show Stopper