IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Regarding spacers and their effects

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-19, 01:16 AM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts
Default Regarding spacers and their effects

So I might be using RSR down springs and spacers (based on peoples' results) 15mm back 20mm front. What will be effects of the spacers mostly? Will there be more vibration? Are they safe to use? I was thinking about using HR brand. Please let me know, thanks.
Old 03-14-19, 03:02 AM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by swaangin
So I might be using RSR down springs and spacers (based on peoples' results) 15mm back 20mm front. What will be effects of the spacers mostly? Will there be more vibration? Are they safe to use? I was thinking about using HR brand. Please let me know, thanks.
There wont be vibration if you get the proper spacers with 60.1mm hub bore.

I have a pair of open-box Eibach 20mm for sale. Used to test fit then removed. I will sell those at 30% off.

Eibach Wheel Spacers
Old 03-14-19, 06:44 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Have had mine on for a week, no discernible difference. Just get good ones and torque them up correctly.
Old 03-14-19, 01:42 PM
bumbletuna
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am running the same spacers. Just make sure they are hubcentric and you torque them correctly.

These are the ones's I purchased.

20mm spacer in front hubcentric
Amazon Amazon
15mm spacer in back hubcentric
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-10-19, 10:40 AM
waterdd
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bumbletuna
These are the ones's I purchased.

20mm spacer in front hubcentric
Amazon

15mm spacer in back hubcentric
Amazon
I bought those same ones, based one your recommendation here. However I put the wider spacers (20mm) on the back rotors.

Last edited by waterdd; 04-10-19 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Forgot to add pic
Old 04-10-19, 10:55 AM
waterdd
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here are a couple “before” pics, for those interested in seeing the

difference
Old 04-11-19, 11:15 AM
Maxxxx
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's safe as long as they are hub-centric and properly installed. I have 20mm all around for about half a year and somehow the wider track lowered the car overtime(about an inch, compared with my friend's IS without spacers). Now my wheels fill the wheel well pretty good and I don't need to get RSR downs anymore.

Just a pic for how it looks:

Ignore my plate lol, was surprised that it wasn’t taken and got it as a souvenir. Sadly, ISFSPORT won’t fit. New ones are on their way.

Last edited by Maxxxx; 04-11-19 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Attaching picture.
Old 04-11-19, 11:27 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Maxxxx
It's safe as long as they are hub-centric and properly installed. I have 20mm all around for about half a year and somehow the wider track lowered the car overtime(about an inch, compared with my friend's IS without spacers). Now my wheels fill the wheel well pretty good and I don't need to get RSR downs anymore.

Just a pic for how it looks:

Ignore my plate lol, was surprised that it wasn’t taken and got it as a souvenir. ISFSPORT won’t fit anyways. New ones are on their way.
Hey, what tips did you get? Did you replace the stock Tsudos with them? Distance to the mufflers is very short, so one shop is kindof balking at changing them.
Old 04-11-19, 11:38 AM
Maxxxx
Driver

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
Hey, what tips did you get? Did you replace the stock Tsudos with them? Distance to the mufflers is very short, so one shop is kindof balking at changing them.
Hey there, they are angled double wall tip (outer ones are shorter) and 4" OD for each tip if I remembered correctly. Indeed I do have Tsudo axlebacks, I basically told them to cut the original burnt tip off (all the way up to the muffler, no piping at all after the muffler now) and weld the tip onto the muffler. Worked out great. Just measure it first then try to get a shorter tip and you'll be fine.

Old 04-11-19, 11:46 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Maxxxx
Hey there, they are angled double wall tip (outer ones are shorter) and 4" OD for each tip if I remembered correctly. Indeed I do have Tsudo axlebacks, I basically told them to cut the original burnt tip off (all the way up to the muffler, no piping at all after the muffler now) and weld the tip onto the muffler. Worked out great. Just measure it first then try to get a shorter tip and you'll be fine.
Right, thanks. Pretty much what I was looking for -- double-wall angle-cut and staggered, but maybe 3.5" than 4". Did you just source them locally?
Old 04-11-19, 12:20 PM
Maxxxx
Driver

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
Right, thanks. Pretty much what I was looking for -- double-wall angle-cut and staggered, but maybe 3.5" than 4". Did you just source them locally?
I got them on Amazon. I believe the outlet is actually 3.5”, just that the thick double wall made the tip 4”.
Old 04-11-19, 02:36 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Technically, the bore on a spacer does not have to be a precise fit. That would not be the inherent cause of vibration. The vibration comes from miscentering during installation. Which can occur from a bore mismatch, but not necessarily be caused by it. The bore being centered simply aids installation, particularly if you're in a rush or don't have good technique.

I used to be of that camp that repeated this until I actually studied what was actually going on. Lots of nuance in my statement so read it carefully.

But for all intents and purposes, try to get a spacer designed for your particular application.

As for the downside, you will experienced an effective reduction in spring rate. In other words, there will be higher torque on your suspension therefore you'll have a softer suspension. you'll also have increased wear on bearings. But nothing crazy so long as your spacers are reasonable.

Keep in mind more maintenance, more things to be aware of for safety, and more things to triple check. Your have doubled your surface area of contact faces and doubled your fasteners. Ensure you are purchasing grade 8 fasteners and ensure everything is torqued properly. you will also want to pull the wheels after a ride around the block to make sure your fasteners are still tight on the hub/rotor. Then wait two weeks and re-check.

you just have to be a lot more careful in general cause you've now introduced multiple dozens of question marks into the very things holding your car on the road.