IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Speckles on Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-19, 06:34 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Speckles on Windshield

Does anyone else have speckles on their front windshield like the ones in the photo? They show more during sunset when the sun is shining directly at the windshield. This shows even after a wash.

I noticed them a couple of weeks after buying the car as a CPO. I would have brought it up but didn’t see it during the test drive, probably cause it’s most visible during sunset.

Old 03-16-19, 06:50 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Lots of rock chips. Does the glass say Lexus on it? The original windshield could have been replaced with a cheaper China made product...
Old 03-16-19, 07:01 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Burrcold
Lots of rock chips. Does the glass say Lexus on it? The original windshield could have been replaced with a cheaper China made product...
Yup, it does say it’s a Lexus part. I’m guessing it wouldn’t be a warrantable issue..
Old 03-16-19, 07:04 PM
SikhSipahi
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Person before you drove too close the vehicle in front. Check hood/bumper for chips
Old 03-16-19, 07:37 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by pngo

Yup, it does say it’s a Lexus part. I’m guessing it wouldn’t be a warrantable issue..
Unfortunately not, although you can most likely convince your insurance company to replace it (tell them it's a major distraction while driving). I did the same, although it was for a scratch on my windshield. They replaced it with OEM Lexus branded glass (not OEE).
The following users liked this post:
pngo (03-16-19)
Old 03-16-19, 10:43 PM
Chazzer96
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I had that on my Camry and people said a clay bar would take it off. So I bought a clay bar and used their liquid and it took it off. Hell, I even used a microfabric trowel and sprayed the spray that came with the clay bar and it came right off. I would try the clay bar before you decide to replace it eventually.
The following 5 users liked this post by Chazzer96:
babaijebu (01-07-20), davyjordi (01-09-20), Jazzrock (01-02-20), pngo (03-16-19), V350 (01-03-20)
Old 03-16-19, 10:50 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chazzer96
I had that on my Camry and people said a clay bar would take it off. So I bought a clay bar and used their liquid and it took it off. Hell, I even used a microfabric trowel and sprayed the spray that came with the clay bar and it came right off. I would try the clay bar before you decide to replace it eventually.
ill have to try that before paying my insurance deudictible. Thanks
Old 03-17-19, 02:33 PM
trivo32
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can try scrapping it with a razor too. Obviously try not to actually scratch the windshield but if you keep the blade flat it will get a lot of it off
Old 01-02-20, 09:50 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Anything come of this clay bar fix?
Would of never guessed tiny risk chips, but by the looks of my bumper that must be what I have.
Pretty obnoxious.
Old 01-02-20, 11:22 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Anything come of this clay bar fix?
Would of never guessed tiny risk chips, but by the looks of my bumper that must be what I have.
Pretty obnoxious.
I claybarred my whole car a couple of months ago and I haven't paid any attention to this... maybe because it went away? I will make sure to check next time I am driving towards the sun and update.
Old 01-03-20, 12:51 AM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 198 Likes on 155 Posts

Can you use any clay bar for the windshield? Does it matter if the water used as a lubricant is hot or cold? I watched a video and the guy said warm water.
Can I use window cleaner afterwards or do I need to use something else after cleaning with the clay bar? My car has marks I can see in the sun as well,
though not nearly as bad as the OP.
Old 01-03-20, 01:20 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Water temperature should not matter for clay baring, the biggest aspect of using a lubricant is so the clay bsr glides over the surface so it doesnt cause more scratches and damage to the surface.

I would specifically use automotive or detailing clay as it is more refined and less abrasive.
Jazzrock (01-03-20)
Old 01-03-20, 03:35 PM
V350
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

As others have said, just clay bar it. Wash the car, then clay, make sure to use plenty of lubricant (you can use detailer spray or invisible glass cleaner, just don't use spray wax, most kits come with a spray lubricant). When you are done, you can use car wax to seal it and keep it streak free in rain for a few months.

Most of the time this is contamination that stays on the glass. Research doing a full body decontamination (chemical decontamination using an iron remover) and mechanical decontamination (clay bar).
Jazzrock (01-03-20)
Old 01-03-20, 03:55 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

If it is removable contamination (clay bar) and the sparkles are gone it's OK to wax or seal glass. But if the sparkles are still there, it's micro abrasion from dust and dirt. Waxing it will make the sparkles even worse!!! I figured that out the hard way. I was able to get my windshield replaced thru auto insurance ( no deductible) because there was also a chip. They didn't ask for a photo, they just asked if it was in my line of vision and created a hazard. Your company may be easy or difficult. Worth a shot.
Jazzrock (01-03-20)
Old 01-03-20, 06:06 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Has anyone tried glass polish? They look like micro stone chips from the salt that gets kicked up on highways.

Quick Reply: Speckles on Windshield