IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Mounted Tablet/iPad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-19, 10:12 AM
drwindow
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Mounted Tablet/iPad?

I've tried searching the threads, but haven't really found anything dealing with this.

Has anyone tried mounting a tablet/iPad to the center console in front of all the HVAC and audio controls? It looks to be the perfect spot to add a tablet. I guess it's basically no different than having your phone there as many of you already do have one mounted to the vent or a magnet. But I was looking at the thread with the android 10.25 inch screen replacement and at the price of that ($800), you can add a great tablet to the dash instead.

It would work something like this:
where you mount it using 2 magnetic mounts. Maybe it will look tacky I am not sure. You also wouldn't really lose any HVAC function that I am aware of yet since you can do that in the infotainment I think?

What do you guys think? Has anyone tried this before?
Old 03-19-19, 11:29 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by drwindow
I've tried searching the threads, but haven't really found anything dealing with this.

Has anyone tried mounting a tablet/iPad to the center console in front of all the HVAC and audio controls? It looks to be the perfect spot to add a tablet. I guess it's basically no different than having your phone there as many of you already do have one mounted to the vent or a magnet. But I was looking at the thread with the android 10.25 inch screen replacement and at the price of that ($800), you can add a great tablet to the dash instead.

It would work something like this: https://youtu.be/64EMpe-iMn4?t=218 where you mount it using 2 magnetic mounts. Maybe it will look tacky I am not sure. You also wouldn't really lose any HVAC function that I am aware of yet since you can do that in the infotainment I think?

What do you guys think? Has anyone tried this before?
I just don't think it would be practical for this car. I also feel it would look a bit tacky. It's personal preference though, if you try it out let us know how it looks and how you like it!
Old 03-20-19, 04:47 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

I don't think anyone has tried this as it's kinda of a big unit to mount in a car that doesn't have a ton of space, even if you go with a Mini.
And from a practical standpoint, what would I do with the iPad that I couldn't do with my phone.
In the video the guy used his iPad to play music on the head unit of the car via Bluetooth...while he's holding his iPhone in his hand...seems a little redundant unfortunately.
Assuming the iPad doesn't have cellular service, then using it as navigation won't be possible...plus he still has his iPhone...will likely has cellular service.

I guess for me until I could figure out a practical use for the iPad, i don't see the point. That and I'm a Samsung user, so it would be a Samsung Tab something I would be mounting.
Ironically I actually use the HVAC and radio buttons on the unit...but you are correct, you could control most of those things through the infotainment system.
Old 03-20-19, 08:53 PM
drwindow
Driver School Candidate

I think you guys are right, I didn't realize that spot was as small as it is. I think the appeal for me is to have a bigger screen. It looks like getting the android 10.25 inch head unit is the way to go if I decide to upgrade anything.
Old 03-21-19, 07:25 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by drwindow
I think you guys are right, I didn't realize that spot was as small as it is. I think the appeal for me is to have a bigger screen. It looks like getting the android 10.25 inch head unit is the way to go if I decide to upgrade anything.
^^^^ Agreed.
Old 03-23-19, 12:20 AM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

I used a CD mount and had my iPhone X mounted to it, it was pretty nice but the CD mount kept falling out so I ended up just taking it out.
Old 06-06-19, 10:13 PM
drwindow
Driver School Candidate

So I decided to just try a tablet and I think I actually like it this way. Here are some pictures in case anyone decides to do it. I have it set to launch the car launcher app when it detects the cars Bluetooth so it works right when you turn your car on. Works great so far!

Old 06-07-19, 07:13 AM
lance55
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks awesome. Do you have a link to that magnetic mount? What tablet is that?

Have tried to fit my unused Nexus 10 in that space to no avail. This mount looks like it might be able to make that happen.
Old 06-07-19, 08:07 AM
drwindow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lance55
Looks awesome. Do you have a link to that magnetic mount? What tablet is that?

Have tried to fit my unused Nexus 10 in that space to no avail. This mount looks like it might be able to make that happen.
No link to that specific one, I believe I got that one at Autozone. But here's a link to one that looks similar:
https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-WizGear-Universal-Rectangle-Dashboard/dp/B01M0DUVZV/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=magnetic+mount&qid=1559919487&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-WizGear-Universal-Rectangle-Dashboard/dp/B01M0DUVZV/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=magnetic+mount&qid=1559919487&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

What you can also do is get this:
https://www.amazon.com/Maxboost-Magnetic-Universal-Dashboard-ADH-Tape/dp/B0721D4NPP/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=magnetic+mount&qid=1559919625&s=gateway&sr=8-8 https://www.amazon.com/Maxboost-Magnetic-Universal-Dashboard-ADH-Tape/dp/B0721D4NPP/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=magnetic+mount&qid=1559919625&s=gateway&sr=8-8
and putting one each where I circled if you're worried about covering your CD slot.

The tablet I used was the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019) - this is probably the biggest you can go without it looking too weird. It's probably all you need as it is already quite large.

Post some pics up if you're able to get it working!