IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Mirrors Won't Tilt Down In Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-19 | 01:18 PM
Wisconsin1
Driver School Candidate

Default Mirrors Won't Tilt Down In Reverse

Hello, just purchased a 2016 IS-300 F Sport. Car is great, only issue so far is that when in reverse the mirrors don't tilt. I was told by the dealership tech that you can't have either R or L mirror buttons lit up, has to be neutral. Double checked, both buttons are off. They want me to bring it to the dealership which is a PITA if this is a simple fix.

Has anyone else ran into this, and if so, what was the fix?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-25-19 | 01:25 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

I don't believe Fsport models have tilt down mirrors mine doesn't.
The following users liked this post:
Wisconsin1 (03-25-19)
Old 03-25-19 | 01:43 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Do you have memory seats? If not, you don't have the reverse auto tilting mirrors. They were part of the same package. If you do happen to have the luxury package, then put the car in reverse and move the little mirror button to either left or right, and adjust the mirror to how far you want it to tilt down. It will keep that setting when you put it back into park.

Last edited by Burrcold; 03-25-19 at 01:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Wisconsin1 (03-25-19)
Old 03-25-19 | 01:53 PM
Wisconsin1
Driver School Candidate

wow that seems ridiculous that a car of this level doesn't have tilting mirrors, especially with beautiful stock wheels that can get curbed.
Old 03-25-19 | 01:59 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wisconsin1
wow that seems ridiculous that a car of this level doesn't have tilting mirrors, especially with beautiful stock wheels that can get curbed.
Well it does have them, just not on every model. My 2018 F Sport has them. Very handy though for the exact reason you mentioned!
Old 03-25-19 | 02:00 PM
Wisconsin1
Driver School Candidate

now is this something that can be done with programming or are the mirrors themselves different and don't have the ability to tilt?
Old 03-25-19 | 02:12 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

now is this something that can be done with programming or are the mirrors themselves different and don't have the ability to tilt?
I'm assuming there is an ECU that connects the tilt function with the memory seats and steering wheel. You would probably have to update to that ECU but I doubt it's that easy (no idea though).
Old 03-25-19 | 02:12 PM
Pittsy
Racer

It depends on which package you got in the car.
Old 03-25-19 | 02:16 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

If your car has them, you would need to make sure the L or R mirror selector is ON, not OFF, in order for them to tilt.
Old 03-25-19 | 10:27 PM
TinoPing
Driver

Burrcold is spot on. I had a 2017 FSport, and that year there was no comfort package available on the F Sport post refresh. That package was reintroduced for the 2018 F Sport. Also my 2017 didn't have parking sensors, only rear traffic sensor. Those two options (mirror tilt and parking sensors are deal breakers if you were used to them on previous cars).
Old 03-26-19 | 07:32 AM
lexuscanuk
Driver

That's why I chose the "Executive" package even tho I really wanted the F-Sport that had the adaptive suspension, F-cluster and awesome RED leather seats. At the time you could not get power tilt steering, heated steering wheel and ventilated seats as well (besides the mirror tilt or memory seats) if I chose the F-Sport (2014). I would still choose chose the Executive if I were to do it again tho.
Old 03-26-19 | 12:08 PM
dteskmo
Driver

Originally Posted by lexuscanuk
That's why I chose the "Executive" package even tho I really wanted the F-Sport that had the adaptive suspension, F-cluster and awesome RED leather seats. At the time you could not get power tilt steering, heated steering wheel and ventilated seats as well (besides the mirror tilt or memory seats) if I chose the F-Sport (2014). I would still choose chose the Executive if I were to do it again tho.
I would also still choose the Executive package as it came with every possible feature, minus the F-Sport exclusive items. The only thing I would have liked added on was the adaptive suspension.
Old 03-26-19 | 01:11 PM
SSworks
Driver

Originally Posted by lexuscanuk
I have a 14 IS 350 F sport with power tilt steering....
Old 03-26-19 | 06:47 PM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

My old Audi A4 had that feature.
I miss it. My 2017 IS300 Fsport has no seat memory
either. But.....I find with our large mirrors I am able
to prop myself up a bit, and get a good view of the curb.
Parlking sensors would be nice also, but none of these
lacking features were a deal breaker for me.
Old 03-26-19 | 10:15 PM
TinoPing
Driver

I know we're veering off topic here, sorry, but one thing missing with or without the luxury package is a front camera. Sometimes I have to park front facing and always end up asking the wife to step out so I don't smash my front end/spoiler on the curb. It's a pet peeve of mine but I want the front end, which is low on the IS to remain spotless. Someone on the forum installed a cam connected to the nav screen, looked like a major full day job and the kit was expensive but now I'm thinking about it.

Quick Reply: Mirrors Won't Tilt Down In Reverse