IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Nankang AS-25 Tires for F Sport Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-19, 11:32 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Nankang AS-25 Tires for F Sport Wheels

I have not seen many reviews on these Nankang Tires. I wanted cheap tires incase I buy new wheels.I did not want a no name brand tire for sure. After researching, I decided to get Nankangs. I admit, I used to make fun of my friend for using Chinese/Taiwanese tires! I never had success with cheap tires until...now! I just installed these and I am impressed they do not make noise! These tires are quieter than the Pirelli I had on and half the cost! I have not tried hard cornering or hard breaking but I'm sure it will be decent.I'm sure it does not compete with Michelin or Yokohamas but for the price, you can't beat it!

If you don't want to break the bank and don't plan on tracking your car or anything, these are good tires!

Will report back in 1,000 miles.

Front:

https://amzn.to/2Gby3l4

Rear:

https://amzn.to/2Il4rmQ
Old 04-10-19, 05:04 AM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

I can’t speak for the Nankang AS-25, but I did purchase their NS-25 A/S UHP tires for mine when I changed my wheels. I gave just under $300 for the full set through discounttiredirect.com with free shipping. Had them mounted at my local shop for an additional $90. I can’t complain one bit, they’re quiet as stock, maybe more so, and hold pretty good in all weather conditions. Now this should go without saying, these are cheap tires, they don’t hold as well as my Cooper RS3-G1’s when pushed to the limits, but I did get the full set shipped and mounted for less than I gave for just the rears. So I didn’t expect super performance from them, I bought them with no reservations or expectations, but felt they couldn’t be too bad based upon Nankangs history and ties to Yokohama. Would I buy them again, YES, I’ve put 5k so far and the wear is really good, rated as a 50k tire, I’m hoping to get half that from them. Factory Bridgestone I’d rate at one star, the Coopers, I’d give 4 stars, these Nankangs, I’d give a solid 3 stars. That’s because of their handling limits only. On hard cornering they roll in, not confidence inspiring, then they pick up in grip, but will break abruptly at the limit. That’s the only reason for the 3 star. If you don’t push your car, these would be awesome for the money, if you know your car and it’s limits, these are still awesome for the money. If you don’t know your car, don’t get too spirited with these until you do, that is my only advice.

Last edited by KYLexusMkr; 04-10-19 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 04-10-19, 07:43 AM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Here’s the link to the ones I bought, forgot to include it as well, for those interested.

Front tires

Rear tires

This for the staggered OEM setup on 18” wheels.
Old 07-19-19, 05:03 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I was wondering if you guys have any updates on your tires. I think the OP meant NS-25.

I ordered a set on a commuter and amazon reviews on this tire, majority seems to be 5 stars, and an occasional 1 star, saying they blow out over pot holes or sidewall blow out. That does make me seem a little nervous.

It may be hard to get the 50,000 miles out of them.. before it hits that mileage on low profile tires, you are usually tired of the noise or some kind of edge wear will have you change them out before then.
Old 07-19-19, 07:37 PM
Mewannalex
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SC3coupe
I was wondering if you guys have any updates on your tires. I think the OP meant NS-25.

I ordered a set on a commuter and amazon reviews on this tire, majority seems to be 5 stars, and an occasional 1 star, saying they blow out over pot holes or sidewall blow out. That does make me seem a little nervous.

It may be hard to get the 50,000 miles out of them.. before it hits that mileage on low profile tires, you are usually tired of the noise or some kind of edge wear will have you change them out before then.
Those reviews do make me nervous, although any low profile tire that hit a pothole nasty enough will blow. I have considered those tires too, but I'm concern with them.
Old 07-19-19, 08:03 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mewannalex
Those reviews do make me nervous, although any low profile tire that hit a pothole nasty enough will blow. I have considered those tires too, but I'm concern with them.
I think I did notice the poor reviews are fairly low profile. In my case mine is 45 profile so not even call them low profile these days.

Plus I will be handling the install myself making sure the bead is not damaged in the process.
Old 07-21-19, 08:12 AM
evident
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

How cheap are they? You can buy sumitomo's off tirerack for pretty damn cheap and they are great tire
Old 07-21-19, 04:34 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

They are pretty cheap, link above is for the IS wheel sizes.
Currently seems like is
$78 Amazon vs $120 for a sumitomo (cheapest model) for a rear tire.
$54 vs 96 for front.

I checked the weight on the NS25 I ordered, they are same or a little more than the same sized Michelin pilot sport AS3.
So, it doesn't seem like sidewall was skimmed.

When I balance the tire I can see if how round is the tire, if it wobble all over, or if it needs alot of weight
Old 08-05-19, 08:31 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

all 4 ns-25 installed.. they are good and round, rounder than my coopers zeons. btw coopers made in china!

2 of them initially took alot of weight. remounted the tire matching this light spot with TPMS's weight.
doing this reduced by few oz to very acceptable weight. one took minimal weight.

noise is as quiet as any new tire.

the sidewalls are cushy, don't expect sharp turning response. more of a luxury feel.

thread blocks feel a bit soft as well, there is no way this is a 500 wear / 50K tire. but for $60 per tire I can replace them yearly if I wanted.
Old 01-06-20, 07:44 PM
phil2277
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC3coupe
all 4 ns-25 installed.. they are good and round, rounder than my coopers zeons. btw coopers made in china!

2 of them initially took alot of weight. remounted the tire matching this light spot with TPMS's weight.
doing this reduced by few oz to very acceptable weight. one took minimal weight.

noise is as quiet as any new tire.

the sidewalls are cushy, don't expect sharp turning response. more of a luxury feel.

thread blocks feel a bit soft as well, there is no way this is a 500 wear / 50K tire. but for $60 per tire I can replace them yearly if I wanted.

How did you install these? I've been thinking about buying a manual tire installer and balancer, just wondering how difficult it is with these tires?
Old 01-06-20, 08:25 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by phil2277
How did you install these? I've been thinking about buying a manual tire installer and balancer, just wondering how difficult it is with these tires?
I bought a Weaver tire changer and balancer, a rim clamp turn table machine.
45 tires are not too difficult after I had already done a few cars with taller tires.

I think a manual tire changer would be difficult, I have heard of people using them for steel rims.

By the way, in case anyone is wondering the tires are working great. I would buy again.
The following users liked this post:
Jaycruz425 (01-10-20)
Old 01-07-20, 01:55 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They are ok for day to day use, as I learned from people I know who used the tires for long period. These tires cannot be compared to Michelin, continentals or goodyear but the nankang can rank close to other well known lower rank tires such as kumho, hankook and nexen.
The main complaints I heard about them were stiffness and low grip.