Lifetime Transmission Fluid What's your highest mileage

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-19, 01:48 PM
ex00
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Toyota fluid is recommended.
I went with another brand full synthetic but my 1st choice was OEM. It's just want my trusted shop had and liked so I went with it.
Is there a specific part number for the ATF or if I just search Toyota ATF I can buy the first one that I find in a search?
Old 04-13-19, 01:50 PM
ex00
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
i used AMSOIL Signature series low viscosity, what did u use?
Where can you get AMSOIL? There is hardly any shops that carry it in Hawaii, if they did it's like $10-$15 a quart.
Old 04-13-19, 09:27 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by ex00
Is there a specific part number for the ATF or if I just search Toyota ATF I can buy the first one that I find in a search?
Toyota ATF WS

Where can you get AMSOIL? There is hardly any shops that carry it in Hawaii, if they did it's like $10-$15 a quart.
I could Google it real quick but actually I think that price sounds about right...maybe even more for Toyota.
The following users liked this post:
ex00 (04-13-19)
Old 04-13-19, 09:34 PM
ex00
Intermediate

Toyota ATF WS

I could Google it real quick but actually I think that price sounds about right...maybe even more for Toyota.
Thanks man! I'll probably stick to OEM fluids as much as possible just not to give the stealership a reason things are not specs.
Old 04-14-19, 07:21 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Same here Im in Canada, Amsoil is around $15 a quart, Toyota WS fluid more like $10 a quart. I went with Amsoil because it’s suppose to be “better” as in takes higher temperatures better and whatever. I obviously would never mention to the dealer “hey btw I’m trying different tranny fluid”. If you google or YouTube search “Amsoil vs Toyota WS” there’s hundreds of people who said they switched and the tranny shifts way better so I figure for an extra $5 a quart might as well try it.
Old 04-14-19, 12:19 PM
ex00
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
Same here Im in Canada, Amsoil is around $15 a quart, Toyota WS fluid more like $10 a quart. I went with Amsoil because it’s suppose to be “better” as in takes higher temperatures better and whatever. I obviously would never mention to the dealer “hey btw I’m trying different tranny fluid”. If you google or YouTube search “Amsoil vs Toyota WS” there’s hundreds of people who said they switched and the tranny shifts way better so I figure for an extra $5 a quart might as well try it.
I still got a lot of time before I do this, will probably go with Amsoil when I need to. Would it be good to drain and fill then drive with the ATF for 500-1000 miles and then drain and fill again?
Old 04-14-19, 12:32 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

I still got a lot of time before I do this, will probably go with Amsoil when I need to. Would it be good to drain and fill then drive with the ATF for 500-1000 miles and then drain and fill again?
i did 2 drain n refills, total capacity of transmission fluid is around 8-10 quarts (in that ballpark) but you only get around 2-3 quarts doing a drain n refill, so me personally I did one than about 1 month later did another one. Will be doing a 3rd soon. After my 3rd I figure the majority of the fluid will be new and I’ll leave it alone for a while.
Old 04-17-19, 06:45 PM
lychee416
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Which shop?

Hey homer350, are you living in Toronto? Which shop do you go to get your car serviced at?
Toyota fluid is recommended.
I went with another brand full synthetic but my 1st choice was OEM. It's just want my trusted shop had and liked so I went with it.
Old 04-17-19, 06:56 PM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
^Good point too. But good fluid shifts better as well. Makes for a happier car.
Have you heard of the partial drain and fill method? I know it's common on Acura's. Supposedly there are some issues with a full drain/fill, so they do a partial 3 times to finally get the entire amount of fluid cycled. And they pretty much never recommend a flush.

I'm wondering if the IS could just do with a drain/fill every 40,000.
Old 04-19-19, 10:54 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Originally Posted by VisualEcho
Have you heard of the partial drain and fill method? I know it's common on Acura's. Supposedly there are some issues with a full drain/fill, so they do a partial 3 times to finally get the entire amount of fluid cycled. And they pretty much never recommend a flush.

I'm wondering if the IS could just do with a drain/fill every 40,000.
Yep! Did that to my E39 back in the day. W/ filter too. Such a PITA. my arm wanted to fall off after undoing ALL the transmission pan bolts and retightening them.

30% new fluid is better than nothing.

Acura transmissions (with exception of latest ZF units) are problematic as it is, so I don't think "flushes" are to blame.

The "flushes being bad" stories are old wives tales. Flushes is a stupid word anyway. i've talked about this at length on bmw forums where some criticise replacing fluids on high mileage trans as a precursor to failure because you've now dislodged crud which was holding things together.

Transmissions handle incredible amounts of heat, stress, hydraulic pressure. No way some sludge is "holding" anything together.

Whether one calls it a flush, a swap, a change, etc... The idea and end-goal is fluid replacement. Which is always a good thing. When it comes to anecdotal "evidence" based on stories of peoples trans failing shortly after a fluid change--those trans were on their way out and destined to fail anyway--usually changed out because of an underlying performance issue. Then it's convenient to just blame it on the new fluid.

Now sure if it's a throw away car with 250k miles and it's on the original fluid, i may leave it alone just due to cost/benefit alone. Often times a $400 trans fluid service exceeds the value of such a car anyway.

For many of us though with 40-50k, i'd highly consider a change if you plan on keeping your car long term, especially if you can DIY. I admit though it's complicated and messy. My CT200h just involved a simple drain and refill using just two bolts. No lines, no filters. and only 4 litres vs. the 10 the IS likely uses.
Old 04-19-19, 11:26 AM
SSworks
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Do the dealerships use a hydraulic machine to pull the full compliment of transmission fluid out or do they use drain and fill?

Don't see the reason why I need to pay $185(starting) as stated by the dealership to do a drain and fill and only get out 3 quarts.
Old 04-19-19, 11:42 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Originally Posted by E46CT
Yep! Did that to my E39 back in the day. W/ filter too. Such a PITA. my arm wanted to fall off after undoing ALL the transmission pan bolts and retightening them.

30% new fluid is better than nothing.

Acura transmissions (with exception of latest ZF units) are problematic as it is, so I don't think "flushes" are to blame.

The "flushes being bad" stories are old wives tales. Flushes is a stupid word anyway. i've talked about this at length on bmw forums where some criticise replacing fluids on high mileage trans as a precursor to failure because you've now dislodged crud which was holding things together.

Transmissions handle incredible amounts of heat, stress, hydraulic pressure. No way some sludge is "holding" anything together.

Whether one calls it a flush, a swap, a change, etc... The idea and end-goal is fluid replacement. Which is always a good thing. When it comes to anecdotal "evidence" based on stories of peoples trans failing shortly after a fluid change--those trans were on their way out and destined to fail anyway--usually changed out because of an underlying performance issue. Then it's convenient to just blame it on the new fluid.

Now sure if it's a throw away car with 250k miles and it's on the original fluid, i may leave it alone just due to cost/benefit alone. Often times a $400 trans fluid service exceeds the value of such a car anyway.

For many of us though with 40-50k, i'd highly consider a change if you plan on keeping your car long term, especially if you can DIY. I admit though it's complicated and messy. My CT200h just involved a simple drain and refill using just two bolts. No lines, no filters. and only 4 litres vs. the 10 the IS likely uses.
I think you just confirmed everything I've been thinking. I'm asking my Lexus mechanic what his take on it is as well, but I imagine I'll be doing a full drain and fill every 40K for sure. Maybe even earlier.
Old 04-20-19, 05:52 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

This is direct from my Lexus tech.

"In twenty four years, you know how many problems I’ve seen on rear wheel drive transmissions other than electrical stuff like solenoids or ECUs? None. Zero. They just don’t break, no matter how much the owner abuses them. Front wheel drive transaxles are a different story. Anyway, if you’re going to change fluid, I would say to do it regularly. A drain and fill is only going to change maybe three quarts of fluid. I checked, your tranny holds 10.6 quarts. One drain and fill every few years probably doesn’t do much of anything. The main problem with a drain and fill on your car is putting the proper amount back in. There’s no dipstick, so it can be tricky. You can’t properly check fluid level without a scan tool.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s never a bad idea to change fluids, but I think tranny fluid at 30-40k is a bit extreme. We don’t even start to recommend it before 75k.

Speaking of which, I think the diff fluid is more important to change frequently than the tranny fluid, especially the front one. I have seen some nasty fluid come out of the front diff at 30k. For whatever reason, the rear doesn’t get as nasty. Lexus doesn’t call for it that frequently, but like I said , it gets nastier than you might think."

So, for me at least, I'm having the front diff fluid changed at 30K for sure, and probably the rear as well.
The following users liked this post:
Solara350 (04-20-19)
Old 04-20-19, 06:46 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by VisualEcho
This is direct from my Lexus tech.

"In twenty four years, you know how many problems I’ve seen on rear wheel drive transmissions other than electrical stuff like solenoids or ECUs? None. Zero. They just don’t break, no matter how much the owner abuses them. Front wheel drive transaxles are a different story. Anyway, if you’re going to change fluid, I would say to do it regularly. A drain and fill is only going to change maybe three quarts of fluid. I checked, your tranny holds 10.6 quarts. One drain and fill every few years probably doesn’t do much of anything. The main problem with a drain and fill on your car is putting the proper amount back in. There’s no dipstick, so it can be tricky. You can’t properly check fluid level without a scan tool.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s never a bad idea to change fluids, but I think tranny fluid at 30-40k is a bit extreme. We don’t even start to recommend it before 75k.

Speaking of which, I think the diff fluid is more important to change frequently than the tranny fluid, especially the front one. I have seen some nasty fluid come out of the front diff at 30k. For whatever reason, the rear doesn’t get as nasty. Lexus doesn’t call for it that frequently, but like I said , it gets nastier than you might think."

So, for me at least, I'm having the front diff fluid changed at 30K for sure, and probably the rear as well.
Agreed ! When my IS350 at 60k KM , i asked one of the Mechanic at Lexus Downtown to see how he thinks, he Answered me, Change Front/Rear Differential and Cabin air filter first. Yes the Transmission fluid has to be at the right Level ! i don't care what people says, i'll do Diff/Trans/Engine Air Filter every year, i'll see about the 4th Gen IS350 , i am thinking to go back to "Toyota Supra" back to the Future, the golden days .

Last edited by Solara350; 04-20-19 at 06:49 AM.
Old 04-22-19, 07:30 AM
little2576
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Solara350
Agreed ! When my IS350 at 60k KM , i asked one of the Mechanic at Lexus Downtown to see how he thinks, he Answered me, Change Front/Rear Differential and Cabin air filter first. Yes the Transmission fluid has to be at the right Level ! i don't care what people says, i'll do Diff/Trans/Engine Air Filter every year, i'll see about the 4th Gen IS350 , i am thinking to go back to "Toyota Supra" back to the Future, the golden days .

i'll do Diff/Trans/Engine Air Filter every year,

Does anyone have a ballpark cost from the stealership doing this above ?

Quick Reply: Lifetime Transmission Fluid What's your highest mileage