IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Ceramic Coat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-19, 05:28 PM
Neat
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ceramic Coat?

Do you have a ceramic coat on your car? If so, what product was used, how much did it cost (including labor if you went to someone), would you recommend it?

I got two quotes - one for Nanolex and one for Kamikaze.. not sure which one I should go with
Old 04-21-19, 06:27 PM
ex00
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Neat
Do you have a ceramic coat on your car? If so, what product was used, how much did it cost (including labor if you went to someone), would you recommend it?

I got two quotes - one for Nanolex and one for Kamikaze.. not sure which one I should go with
Honestly you can do it yourself and it's really not that hard either. Rave reviews on the Kamikaze collection, I think base layer you want 2 layers of Miyabi and 2 layers of ISM 2.0 after Miyabi. Very expensive to do still but you get good protection. Only thing is that you must maintain the coating, a lot of people think that they can get away with just a wash and detail but you still need ceramic infused products like soap or detail spray to maintain the performance of any coating. Also the 9H ratings can mean totally different things instead of hardness level.

GTechniq Crystal Serum Light and EXO are easy to use as well! If you have a covered carport or garage(even better) you can get this done on a nice day.

I had Carbon Flex C9 which was easy to apply and buff out after application and the wheels had CQuartz UK. Wheels will still get dirty but a bit easier to clean once coated.

For ceramic infused soap, I would go with PURA/Jade Car Soap and detail spray I would get Technician's Choice XPC3.
The following users liked this post:
lance55 (04-23-19)
Old 04-21-19, 09:14 PM
M1AH3A7
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

Cquartz UK on my car, its something you can do yourself, if you have the time. I was off on paternity leave and worked on it overnight while taking care of my son. Well worth the time and money. I no longer have to wash my car as much, i used to have to wash it every other week, now i can go for a month without needing a wash. Depending on where you live, your mileage may vary. I did my rims as well and they are easy to clean now that they have the coating on them. Would recommend it for sure if you are OCD like me about having a clean car.
Old 04-22-19, 06:09 AM
AVIAT0R
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have CQuartz Finest on my car and it is amazing! I love coatings and will have it on every car that I own.
Old 04-22-19, 09:31 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,167 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Ceramic is too expensive, too much work, and doesn't immunize you from scratches. My friend who is a pro detailer says he doesn't even bother with Ceramic (though he does it for his clients all the time). This is one of those things I think industry insiders don't bother with. it's just a consumer hype thing. Yeah it works, but the cost-benefit analysis has to be done. It's best done on a brand new car and you have to have perfect maintenance habits or else it's moot. Honestly it's just as effective to wax your car twice a year w/ good wax.

I find a good coat of Collinite 845 twice a year does the trick. The best wax in the business. One bottle can do several cars, your friends cars, for years. Used it on my BMW for several years. Good stuff!

Old 04-22-19, 10:02 AM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts

I ceramic coated my 2018 Camry Xse and 2017 is as soon as I got it, it just makes it easier to clean and does keep the shine. It won’t prevent door dings, deep scratches, or rock chips. If I am driving in the rain on the highway the car is clean by the time I get home, water just beads off but if I’m parked you will still get water spots.
Old 04-23-19, 07:42 PM
Lexyaaaas
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ceramic coating is really more of a wax. You literally apply it like wax buff it on, then buff it off