IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2018 Lexus IS350 Fuel Lid

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-19, 10:34 AM
Fantasy332
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2018 Lexus IS350 Fuel Lid

Hello, so I need to remove the fuel lid for my painter to have a reference of the paint when painting my front bumper. Unfortunately I am unable to give them my tow hook lid because i was involved in an accident.

So... how do you take off the fuel lid? I don't see anything i can disconnect.

Last edited by Fantasy332; 04-24-19 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-24-19, 11:57 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,823 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by Fantasy332
Hello, so I need to remove the fuel lid for my painter to have a reference of the paint when painting my front bumper. Unfortunately I am unable to give them my tow hook lid because i was involved in an accident.

Can't they just paint the front bumper according to the proper paint code and then blend? I think that's the normal process.

Sorry if that was an unhelpful answer, just curious if you even need to do this.
Old 04-24-19, 12:18 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

I don't operate an auto-body shop but...That seems like a very odd request.

If you know and trust whoever is asking, then cool maybe there's a reason for that beyond me.

However, if they're someone new to you than requesting this it may be a sign they're not very professional.
Referencing paint color to existing material is not how it's done. I'm like 99% sure on that.

But rather, like arentz07 said, paint shops order the paint by paint code.
That's as much of a sure thing we got to get the color right.
Old 04-24-19, 12:26 PM
Fantasy332
Driver School Candidate

They asked for a paint code and also a sample (Piece of the car), so they did ask for both.
Old 04-25-19, 09:20 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Ok...so what I'm understanding here is that they have the bumper and you have the car.
They want to paint the bumper using the paint code and a sample of the car to get the color match as close as possible...so they don't have to bend into the fenders and hood to color match.

So they asked for the fuel lid door...which for any car is likely a chore to remover, and for sure on the Lex.

I would suggest an alternative...give them the cover for one of the side mirrors.
It's easy to take the mirror apart...the only down side is you would have no mirror. You might be able to put the glass back without the colored cover though...I haven't tried personally.
The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (04-25-19)
Old 04-25-19, 12:08 PM
Isaac88
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Find a new painter.
Old 04-25-19, 02:27 PM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts

I would agree that it's odd for a body shop to ask for a piece of your car to 'match' the paint.

I've taken my previous cars to reputable auto body shops many times for repairs and paint jobs - never once have they asked me to provide something from the car to match the paint. All they needed was the paint code and they would blend in the area that would be painted. I never had a problem with the results.
Old 04-26-19, 08:04 AM
SSworks
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Its to match the color, different companies sell different brand paints and while the color code is the same and the measurements for it is the same, different companies or even different batches may have very slight shade differences, to make sure its an exact match they want a piece of your car. Personally I would stick with them, it shows that they want it done right the first time.
Old 04-26-19, 11:35 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SSworks
Its to match the color, different companies sell different brand paints and while the color code is the same and the measurements for it is the same, different companies or even different batches may have very slight shade differences, to make sure its an exact match they want a piece of your car. Personally I would stick with them, it shows that they want it done right the first time.
I kinda have to agree with SSworks on this one.
What they're asking for seems odd, but this could be a next level painter that is confident he can mix the paint to match the car without blending into the existing panel. That takes experience and skill.
The fuel door was a bad ask though...what car has an easily removal fuel door?!?!?!
Old 04-26-19, 02:44 PM
Fantasy332
Driver School Candidate

So apparently, i figured it out. You just slide the door towards you and it comes off.....
Old 04-26-19, 03:37 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

So apparently, i figured it out. You just slide the door towards you and it comes off.....
Lol...I stand corrected...maybe it was that easy.

Could you attach a pic of the inside of the door? Just so we can see how it's held on.
Old 02-03-20, 02:57 PM
Glenluster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Can't they just paint the front bumper according to the proper paint code and then blend? I think that's the normal process.

Sorry if that was an unhelpful answer, just curious if you even need to do this.
REf (: Paint code ) dont aways match , Ive had front and rear hit two seperate times and both times paint was not close enough to blend . With that being said
is a good reason to take the gas lid off so your paint supplier can do a closer match . Just my 2cents ! Good luck !
Old 02-03-20, 03:30 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,197 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Yeah what a shop would do is take a little device to your car that takes a highly accurate reading of your particular paint and tells the paint man what #s to punch in his paint mixing computer. You can take 10 cars of the same year and paint code and all will come back with a slightly different hue (in any direction) based on how that paint was applied, cured, cared for, sat in the sun, etc). i'd be willing to bet that you can also take certain brand new cars from different dealers all across the country and they'd be slightly different as well depending on what batch of paint was used to paint those cars, regardless of paint code.

so in op's case, they probably couldn't take their device to the car for whatever reason and wanted him to take a piece of his car to the device. ideally though you'd want to use an adjacent panel.

Old 02-03-20, 04:07 PM
Atav25
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SSworks
Hit the nail on the head with this one! Really make me glad to hear some places actually care about their work enough and have the skill and experience to do this kind of work. Last time I heard a car being painted like this was atleast 15 years ago when my dad took one of his cars to his friends body shop. This is how OG's paint cars. Devil is in the details