IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Dead 5 month old battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-19, 07:21 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Dead 5 month old battery

Not sure what's going on but I just noticed 2 days ago that my battery died. I just came back from a Orlando road trip. Everything was fine when driving down and around town. The first thing I did was removed the battery. I'm going to exchange it out since it's under warranty. I just hope it's just that. I read on these forums that a number of is drivers have this same issue.
Old 04-26-19, 07:37 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

I never had this issue - During the winter, I will put my vehicle on a battery tender for about 2 days to top it up and will do that every month or so, and even during that 1 month of non use, the battery never lost its charge.
Old 04-26-19, 08:38 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by GibbsLexus
Not sure what's going on but I just noticed 2 days ago that my battery died. I just came back from a Orlando road trip. Everything was fine when driving down and around town. The first thing I did was removed the battery. I'm going to exchange it out since it's under warranty. I just hope it's just that. I read on these forums that a number of is drivers have this same issue.
Are you saying you drove the IS to Orlando,drove it around while there, and then drove it back? And then the battery died?
I was trying to understand where the battery removal came into play.
Old 04-26-19, 01:44 PM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm guessing yours is a 2014 or 2015? I've heard those year's model had some issues with the battery but I think the resolution to the battery drain was a replacement or update of the ECU. Might be something you check out with the dealership as there is a TSB on it for those model years.

Reading your original post, if everything worked as expected, your long road trip should've charged the battery fully and as you mentioned you were able to drive around town without issues. Have you checked the battery voltage before disconnecting? Was it completely 0 or very low amps?

But since you were able to drive around town, but then when you came back the battery died, that initially tells me:
1. Your alternator is working, at least enough to provide a charge to your battery so that you could start/drive your car.
2. The battery is not holding a charge or holding a very weak charge, barely enough to start your car - which could be confirmed if you tested the voltage at rest and with the engine on.
3. There's something else on your car that is still 'on' (or always 'on') that's draining your battery over time, despite your car being turned off.

All of this of course would be outside of the obvious, such as if you had accidentally left your headlights manually on with the car off without realizing...
Old 04-26-19, 01:52 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,172 Likes on 1,632 Posts

fwiw my 16 200t has been a trooper battery wise. ran an amp/sub on it since new, leave it parked out in the hot sun for three weeks at a time multiple times, expecting at least a weak start. but it starts up every time as if the car was new. my 16 has a build date of late 2015 so it's pretty old now. not bad for a small battery

is your battery new or the car is new? can't tell from your post?
Old 04-26-19, 01:57 PM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

I was traveling last week with no issues. When I returned Sunday, it was parked until Wedensday evening. I tried starting. I jumped it with my other car and ran for a few mins. Yesterday I tried again. Now I'm returning the battery. After testing, the battery is dead. I will replace. This should resolve the issue. However if it occurs again, then I will investigate and most likely it would still be something running.
Old 04-26-19, 01:58 PM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by E46CT
fwiw my 16 200t has been a trooper battery wise. ran an amp/sub on it since new, leave it parked out in the hot sun for three weeks at a time multiple times, expecting at least a weak start. but it starts up every time as if the car was new. my 16 has a build date of late 2015 so it's pretty old now. not bad for a small battery

is your battery new or the car is new? can't tell from your post?
I got the battery in September 2018.
Old 04-26-19, 01:59 PM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by unioncorps
I'm guessing yours is a 2014 or 2015? I've heard those year's model had some issues with the battery but I think the resolution to the battery drain was a replacement or update of the ECU. Might be something you check out with the dealership as there is a TSB on it for those model years.

Reading your original post, if everything worked as expected, your long road trip should've charged the battery fully and as you mentioned you were able to drive around town without issues. Have you checked the battery voltage before disconnecting? Was it completely 0 or very low amps?

But since you were able to drive around town, but then when you came back the battery died, that initially tells me:
1. Your alternator is working, at least enough to provide a charge to your battery so that you could start/drive your car.
2. The battery is not holding a charge or holding a very weak charge, barely enough to start your car - which could be confirmed if you tested the voltage at rest and with the engine on.
3. There's something else on your car that is still 'on' (or always 'on') that's draining your battery over time, despite your car being turned off.

All of this of course would be outside of the obvious, such as if you had accidentally left your headlights manually on with the car off without realizing...
2014 f sport.
Old 04-26-19, 04:45 PM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

I installed the new battery and it appears to be back to normal.
Old 04-26-19, 05:33 PM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by GibbsLexus
alternator dying or just died?
Old 04-26-19, 05:50 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

No car drains a battery in 3 days for no reason.
Sometimes they just have a bad cell. I've been through 3 in a little over a year before. Different car but wasn't the cars fault is the point.

Glad it got resolved now hopefully there's nothing causing serious drain.
Old 04-26-19, 05:55 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Oh and on that note...probably avoid AutoZone duralast "gold" lol.

I went to a battery only place sells no name batteries with 3 year warranty and more CCA for $50 less than auto parts store
Old 04-27-19, 09:56 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Oh and on that note...probably avoid AutoZone duralast "gold" lol.

I went to a battery only place sells no name batteries with 3 year warranty and more CCA for $50 less than auto parts store
I'll keep that in mind. I got the 3 year Evermaxx with 700 CCA from Walmart
Old 04-27-19, 09:58 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Sometimes they just have a bad cell. I've been through 3 in a little over a year before. Different car but wasn't the cars fault is the point.

Glad it got resolved now hopefully there's nothing causing serious drain.
Yeah I ran a few errands this morning and I'm 100% sure it was just a lemon battery.
Old 04-27-19, 10:46 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

That's what just happened to mine, it went from working great to completely shot in a split second. No signs at all of a weak battery, slow cranking or anything. I went in to the store and came out 5 minutes later, it was so dead the LED interior lights wouldn't even turn on. I jumped it with my truck and drove it home, turned it off and immediately tried to restart it. Same thing, didn't even hold enough charge to power anything at all. It was only a 2 year old battery from Lexus.

Quick Reply: Dead 5 month old battery