IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lower springs on front only

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-19, 04:02 PM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Lower springs on front only

Just as the title says, I’m curious to know has anybody done this? I don’t mind the gap at the rear, also I do carry passengers in my vehicle, but I would like to close the gap up front. I have an IS300 awd and was looking at the Lexus springs, but didn’t know for sure if I could just install the front springs only. I know they’re sold in sets only, that’s not an issue. Has anybody done this? Are there any other ramifications by going this route? Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 05-04-19, 12:05 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by KYLexusMkr
Just as the title says, I’m curious to know has anybody done this? I don’t mind the gap at the rear, also I do carry passengers in my vehicle, but I would like to close the gap up front. I have an IS300 awd and was looking at the Lexus springs, but didn’t know for sure if I could just install the front springs only. I know they’re sold in sets only, that’s not an issue. Has anybody done this? Are there any other ramifications by going this route? Any insight would be appreciated.
This would be interesting. I feel the rake would be very sloped. I don't know that there would be issues since you have AWD, but technically it shouldn't be an issue it's just going to look like the back of your car is much higher than the front I think. I don't think I've ever actually met or heard of someone lowering just one end.
Old 05-04-19, 06:40 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

I have had a front pair of Downs for a couple months now, but am still waiting for a friend to install them. Several of us with 3xx AWDs have been either doing or considering the same thing -- different springs front-to-back. Look up Santorini, as he did Supers front and Downs rear (in fact, I have his fronts) and his front/rear gaps came up perfectly. Another did Halfs on the front and said there was minimal difference, and another seemed to get good results with Downs front only but he has also had an accident and replacement of his front end.

In short, we "think" that Downs-only on the front SHOULD even the car out, but because ride height isn't always the same we won't know until we try it. Indeed -- I measure mine occasionally and one time the right side fender height was the same front and rear(!). Another time, I could get two fingers on the right rear but barely one on the left rear.
The following users liked this post:
Neat (05-04-19)
Old 05-04-19, 09:29 AM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Good to know, I’m just looking to get an inch to 1.5” out of the front, nothing too extravagant, but enough for me. I do appreciate the responses, so now I guess I can go ahead pick up some springs. 😃
Old 05-04-19, 09:48 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Check the threads and pics folks are posting -- you almost certainly won't get a 1" drop in the front on an AWD from Halfs, especially a 3xx. Even RS-R on their site says 0.8-1.0" for RWD. It will take Downs to get that much on an AWD.

Last edited by AtomicAWD; 05-04-19 at 10:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
KYLexusMkr (05-04-19)
Old 05-04-19, 02:38 PM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
Check the threads and pics folks are posting -- you almost certainly won't get a 1" drop in the front on an AWD from Halfs, especially a 3xx. Even RS-R on their site says 0.8-1.0" for RWD. It will take Downs to get that much on an AWD.
oops. i missed that it was AWD. nevermind.
Old 07-31-19, 06:36 AM
yeeyk82
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Was reading for more information and found this thread.
Driving 2017 IS200T and will like to know if i can put RS-R Down in front and rear remain stock?
Old 07-31-19, 09:13 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

If you're on instagram, ISFaster did this on his ISF with swift springs. Im sure he has a clublexus account. I was thinking of reaching out to him as I was thinking of doing the same thing. Obviously different vehicle, but its something.
Old 07-31-19, 10:12 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RageRacerM
If you're on instagram, ISFaster did this on his ISF with swift springs. Im sure he has a clublexus account. I was thinking of reaching out to him as I was thinking of doing the same thing. Obviously different vehicle, but its something.
There's a full thread here of IS-F owners putting on front-only springs, and with good results. As per my sig, mine looked good with front Downs only, but I put on rear Halfs and it came out better.
Old 08-03-19, 03:29 AM
Grey3IS
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Factory F-sport Front spring install

I got the F sport 1" lowering springs for my 2014 IS250 RWD as a birthday gift from the wife. I wanted to close tire fender gape just like the rest. I installed the fronts and ran out of steam before I started on the rear, regular work kills/ rather work on my car.. After I got the front together I knew I would have some miles before everything settled and sat proper where it should after the 1" lower. So I thought I've got some time to get the rears on but as the front settled I loved the slope so the rear springs and spring puller are still in there box in the shop. They only down side I've had so far is I noticed some rear end fluid, small drops on the ground after the springs settled. My garage floor is painted so I noticed immediately. Very small amount, a few drops and usually only after the slip light yells at you a few times. As I panicked the rear end was going out. I investigated it I found a very small amount of fluid on the passenger side rear end mount and bushing. I cleaned this up, wiped everything else in the area down as I couldn't figure out how it had got there. Checked the rear end throughly for cracks leaks worn gaskets, loose bolt-nothing. Puzzled I figured I'd give it a day or two and check to see if there was fluid in this area again, sure enough a very small amount. With the front lower the angle of the rear end changed causing some excess fluid to run out the breather/over full tube at the top of the rear end case. I cleaned everything up one more good time and checked the rear fluid and it quit and I haven't had a drop since. I imagine when I flush and change rear end fluid to Motul same as my brake fluid it will happen again until it levels it's self off. I'll post some pic of the car and area where I found the fluid some time later today; I take pictures of the car like a girl does her pet.
Old 08-03-19, 01:25 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Grey3IS
I got the F sport 1" lowering springs for my 2014 IS250 RWD as a birthday gift from the wife. I wanted to close tire fender gape just like the rest. I installed the fronts and ran out of steam before I started on the rear, regular work kills/ rather work on my car.. After I got the front together I knew I would have some miles before everything settled and sat proper where it should after the 1" lower. So I thought I've got some time to get the rears on but as the front settled I loved the slope so the rear springs and spring puller are still in there box in the shop. They only down side I've had so far is I noticed some rear end fluid, small drops on the ground after the springs settled. My garage floor is painted so I noticed immediately. Very small amount, a few drops and usually only after the slip light yells at you a few times. As I panicked the rear end was going out. I investigated it I found a very small amount of fluid on the passenger side rear end mount and bushing. I cleaned this up, wiped everything else in the area down as I couldn't figure out how it had got there. Checked the rear end throughly for cracks leaks worn gaskets, loose bolt-nothing. Puzzled I figured I'd give it a day or two and check to see if there was fluid in this area again, sure enough a very small amount. With the front lower the angle of the rear end changed causing some excess fluid to run out the breather/over full tube at the top of the rear end case. I cleaned everything up one more good time and checked the rear fluid and it quit and I haven't had a drop since. I imagine when I flush and change rear end fluid to Motul same as my brake fluid it will happen again until it levels it's self off. I'll post some pic of the car and area where I found the fluid some time later today; I take pictures of the car like a girl does her pet.
How long did you have just the fronts on, and did you measure the actual drop? Most who've got the F Sport springs report a minimal drop of maybe 1/2". I had my front Downs on for maybe a month before doing the rear Halfs and never noticed any drips. Drop was about .8".
Old 08-04-19, 01:36 AM
Grey3IS
Rookie

Default 1 inch 10k miles

I didn't record when I measured ride height last but I got a full inch, and the rear hasn't got done yet I like it, the front clip does not. Regular Areas you drive where you didn't scrub before you will now. I got it recorded as Oct 02 2018 at 66,348 so i've got right at 10 months - 10k miles on them. I really didn't notice a difference until I did my first oil change after install. I use Cusco's tire slopes in oil change routine and I couldn't get myself under the front end of the car any longer I had to really reach for it. Oh also a recent realization I didn't adjust headlights so I can ride with the brights on all the time, like a true road warrior.
Old 08-04-19, 01:48 AM
Grey3IS
Rookie

this was all I got, I have a nice curve to a left 90 off interstate with a tight curve right and and tight curve left down a hill so my slip light is pretty active. I haven't had any other issues or drips.