Roof Rack - Yakima

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-19, 10:33 AM
maxutil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof Rack - Yakima

Hey guys,

I want to get a roof rack for my car to transport a surfboard or two around. I have no experience installing something like this, and my car has a naked roof. Based on the config suggestion on Yakima, I am getting this buildout:

And this is just some bars on the top of my car, so it looks like I also need something like this:

Am I getting this right? I'm looking at $700 to get a proper rack on my car? How easy is the install for someone like me? Do you know if this requires any drilling? This is quite expensive, but I don't see a better alternative.
Old 05-10-19, 10:55 AM
MoreNachos
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I have this exact setup only with the aero shaped bars. The rack is very easy to install, should be no problem if you just follow the directions. Placing it in the right spot on the roof is what took me the longest, everything else is just tightening a few screws and clips.You might check local classifieds for the board attachment. I found my snowboard one for 1/3 the price, barely used.

I used the rack often this winter with no issues.
The following users liked this post:
maxutil (05-10-19)
Old 05-10-19, 02:10 PM
maxutil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoreNachos
I have this exact setup only with the aero shaped bars. The rack is very easy to install, should be no problem if you just follow the directions. Placing it in the right spot on the roof is what took me the longest, everything else is just tightening a few screws and clips.You might check local classifieds for the board attachment. I found my snowboard one for 1/3 the price, barely used.

I used the rack often this winter with no issues.
Thanks. Which of the bars do you have? The highest option adds another $90 or so, and the middle option adds $20.

Old 05-10-19, 02:22 PM
MoreNachos
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by maxutil
Thanks. Which of the bars do you have? The highest option adds another $90 or so, and the middle option adds $20.

I have the core bars, in my experience round bars whistle a bit more and I think the core bars look better. Whether or not they are more efficient than the round ones, I'm not 100% sure but can say my mpg's only dropped by about 0.4 with this rack on my IS.
The following 2 users liked this post by MoreNachos:
maxutil (05-10-19), momak (03-27-20)