Search this Thread

Old 05-10-19, 12:35 PM
logix1229
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default High Beam hotspot after adjusting headlight beam

Hey everyone,

Can someone advise if this is normal.

I tried to adjust my driverside lowbeam up just slightly and it seemed to work fine however, when turning on high beams, the driver-side now has a pretty large hot spot. The passenger side doesn't have this issue. I'm not sure if this is by design, but i'm pretty sure both sides are supposed to be pretty much identical.

In the video you'll notice the camera re-focus and you can definitely tell the hotspot when the high beams are on.

I followed instructions on how to adjust the headlight from another video but after closer look, i don't think it's 100% correct. i think i'm adjusting something on the high beam perhaps?

can someone advise if this is normal?

(Sorry the video is flipped upside down for some reason).
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_7648.mov (1.51 MB, 93 views)
Old 05-10-19, 02:08 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,157 Likes on 1,620 Posts

are we talking about the headlights of a Ford van? or a chicken truck? garbage truck? exactly what year make model are we talking here.

If you have an older style 3IS, then AFAIK the low and high beams adjust as a single unit, as does most cars. I don't know about the newer models. Either way headlights (typically) should be identcial left to right). your video displays weird for me, can't really tell what's going on. a photo would be better of both patterns. (and easier quite frankly)
Old 05-10-19, 03:29 PM
logix1229
Rookie

Originally Posted by E46CT
are we talking about the headlights of a Ford van? or a chicken truck? garbage truck? exactly what year make model are we talking here.

If you have an older style 3IS, then AFAIK the low and high beams adjust as a single unit, as does most cars. I don't know about the newer models. Either way headlights (typically) should be identcial left to right). your video displays weird for me, can't really tell what's going on. a photo would be better of both patterns. (and easier quite frankly)
Sorry forgot the basic info. it's a 2014 IS. below are 2 photos. one with high beam on and other just low beam. notice the picture with the high beam, the driver side has a pretty big "hot spot" i guess you'd call it...while the passenger seems to be perfectly in line with the low beam...this only happened after i adjusted the driver side light up just ever so slightly.

high beam on

low beam
Old 05-10-19, 07:46 PM
jnesss
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

from google:

The top of the low beam shining on the wall should be at or slightly below the height of the center of the headlight lens for most vehicles. You should expect the light pattern to be higher on the right side (passenger side) to illuminate road signs and lower on the driver's side to prevent blinding other drivers.
Old 05-11-19, 04:44 PM
logix1229
Rookie

Originally Posted by jnesss
from google:

The top of the low beam shining on the wall should be at or slightly below the height of the center of the headlight lens for most vehicles. You should expect the light pattern to be higher on the right side (passenger side) to illuminate road signs and lower on the driver's side to prevent blinding other drivers.
Yes i'm very much aware of this. I would never try to raise my driver side headlight with a sole intention to blind oncoming drivers. My question is more concerned with the "hot spot" when the high beam is on. After adjust the (driver side) headlight, when the high beam is on, the hot spot is there while on the passenger side, there is no hot spot, The beam of the (high beam) light lines up perfectly with the low beam, it just seems to intensify the light, while on the driver side, it seems the high beam is not lined up and it's creating the hot spot.

I"m just asking because I have a bad habit of trying to be a perfectionist and I just like to see things evenly haha. I'd rather have my driver side match with the passenger side, that's all. Either way, I'll just try to reverse the screw direction on the driver side headlight to see if it'll fix the hot spot issue. I just wanted to know if this "hot spot" was designed this way or not since I didn't check prior to making the adjustments on my headlights.