IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Just bought a 2016 IS 200t.. Reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-19, 09:53 AM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Tharr62
This is something I was wondering the other day! (the above info was amazing BTW). So, basically when I cruise around town all soft and careful it's building up carbon (not good) and when I am driving more sporty.. its actually good for the engine.

So, in real life application if I drive say 5 days a week around down and go say a tank of gas all soft and efficient, and then on Saturday I paddle shift my way on the high way for some quick fun, would this be enough to burn off the carbon?

The gas near me is Mobile. I saw use Techron (Cheveron)? Is this really going to make a difference?

Lastly, if I get lots of build up like that.. is that fixable? or is that where the motor is just gone.?
Just have a little bit of fun once in a while, you don’t need to go crazy. If you do have a high amount of carbon build up then you can walnut blast the head to clean it, look up direct injection walnut blasting on YouTube. I would worry to much about it, the port injections might not be used much but it is still a much better designed then the is250 engine it replaced. I’m more concerned about the longevity of the turbo and liquid cooling system and how long it will last, thankfully there has not reports or either dying. New engine design equals to more points of failure.
Old 05-21-19, 10:16 AM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Tharr62
WOW. How are you not getting the inner tire wear issue that has been talked about with this car? Have you done any changes to the cars setup to get even wear? So far I was under the impression that tires only last 12 - 15K on this hungry monster!

How do you have a bumper to bumper till 100K? I know Doug and watch all this videos (my fav.).

What do you think about carbon build up in this engine?
Not everyone will have the inner tire wear, I unfortunately happen to get it due to my route for work, worst case senario is drive it and see, for me the cost of tires every 12k was a big NO, I spent 500 on new RCF LCA, spc rear camber arms and alignment was set to my specs for longevity. I have 8k+ on these tires and no sign of wear and expect 30k or more miles out of my tires, I do 24k miles a year.
I want a bit of toe in the front and rear to help with the scrub and tire wear, I also want less then one degree of camber to mitigate camber wear, after the alignment I am getting exactly what I was after, mileage and daily driving comfort.
There is a compromise between handling and longevity, you gotta figure out what is more important.

about the engine, don’t sweat it, once you start digging into knock, timing, fuel tables, and all the other factors you will drive yourself crazy. All engine will have some build up. The dual injection was designed for MGP not to combat carbon build up, it was a secondary factor.

if you get a CPO (certified pre owned) car from Lexus you get the remainder of the factory warranty plus an additional 4 year of unlimited miles. So technically my warranty is up October 2023 with unlimited mileage, for my driving habits it was totally worth it to me to get a CPO.

just enjoy your car and do the normal maintenance, this engine is much better then most 4cyl turbo. If you want a headache go look at the Subaru forum and EJ motor, I had a 17STI and got rid of it for the Is200t.
if you want new tech you gotta deal with new design, with any new design there will be a learning curve.