IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Take 2 - BeatSonic Lexus Carplay

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-19, 02:16 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Will31894
Also, as another update their product no longer uses the integrated USB ports from the car and instead uses a external USB which they run through the glove box. If anyone has an reviews or any issue please dont hesitate them discuss them here!
Yeah I don't like that you have to install two black boxes behind glovebox and run a wire for USB port was hoping it uses car's port.
Old 09-12-19, 02:27 PM
Will31894
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Yeah I don't like that you have to install two black boxes behind glovebox and run a wire for USB port was hoping it uses car's port.
Exactly, at first I thought that was an awesome selling point. Im not sure if the feature was removed because it stopped regular USB port functionality or if it was causing them issues. At least it uses the cars integrated mic, thats a cool feature that was added.
Old 09-13-19, 10:45 PM
AlgoTrader
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought a Beat-Sonic integrated unit for my 13 RX350. I'm on Android (Samsung Note9) and they said AA was working now. Once I receive and install it, I can post some pix and my review.
The following users liked this post:
Will31894 (09-19-19)
Old 09-15-19, 12:08 PM
Jazzkanda6
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone comment in Android autos audio quality when it is set up. Specifically using tidal hifi streaming. If at all it drops from OEM Bluetooth I don't see this system being worth it.
Old 09-19-19, 01:34 PM
hieu5000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
My car is 2014. Possibly newer cars may have different connectors. Funny thing about these eBay sellers is that they listed all 3rd gen IS are compatible but on their box they shipped out there’s no description of what model yr for the car. I think they designed these units with Asia market units but they don’t know there are many different connectors based on region, or even Mark Levison variations.
Did the seller ask you to take a photo of the back of your head unit before ordering? I just inquired about one of those "Carlinkit" retrofit units and they requested for that info before I could place an order.

Carlinkit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carlinkit-F...sAAOSwknFdPqOj

Does anyone else have experience with this kit?
Old 09-19-19, 01:44 PM
Will31894
Driver

Reply to hieu5000

We had some people on this forum previously purchase similar systems and they got sent something that didn't work for their vehicle and instead for another lexus vehicle and others did not work at all. If its something you are willing to purchase and test out great let us know but the others have not been successful.
Old 09-19-19, 01:45 PM
Will31894
Driver

Originally Posted by AlgoTrader
I bought a Beat-Sonic integrated unit for my 13 RX350. I'm on Android (Samsung Note9) and they said AA was working now. Once I receive and install it, I can post some pix and my review.
let us know how both systems work!
Old 09-19-19, 02:41 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hieu5000
Did the seller ask you to take a photo of the back of your head unit before ordering? I just inquired about one of those "Carlinkit" retrofit units and they requested for that info before I could place an order.

Carlinkit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carlinkit-F...sAAOSwknFdPqOj

Does anyone else have experience with this kit?
No they didn't at the time since the ebay pic showed Type B wasn't compatible, but since then they came out with another harness for Type B. Just for safety you should take a pic if you know how to take out your radio or search around forum for a pic. It was a hassle to return package to China it was stuck in china side custom for 3 weeks.

Honestly, I do like Carlinkit better if it actually works since I want to try Carplay wirelessly and it only needs one box instead of two on Beatsonic. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 10-20-19, 06:41 PM
scriminal
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive been meaning to make a new thread about the system since its not 4x4 system and its over 300 dollars cheaper. So there is a lot of little annoying stuff with a unit like this so if you have an like big questions fire away. But yes the joystick works with the andriod interface but, does not work with apple carplay, the screen is touch screen so its not the worst. The installation was very easy, i found the cables that needed to go to the top of the screen, placed electrical tape around them all and slide them to the top.

Heres some of my biggest annoyances with the system:

-I use bluetooth instead of the carplay audio cause I think it doesnt sound so good through the AUX. The down fall of this is that the navigation apps dont do the directions unless i switch back to AUX.
-The rear camera instead of it being instant there is like a 2-4 second delay
-The system takes over 15 seconds to boot up when first powering on
-I sometimes have to wait until the system is on to connect my phone or else the carplay app wont start up
Thanks for saving me $500, 4 hours of tearing up my dash, and being super frustrated in the end. I'll stick with my phone mounted in the proclip.
Old 10-20-19, 06:52 PM
AlgoTrader
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazzkanda6
Can anyone comment in Android autos audio quality when it is set up. Specifically using tidal hifi streaming. If at all it drops from OEM Bluetooth I don't see this system being worth it.
I don't use Tidal, but there is a noticeable drop in sound quality when playing music from my phone over the Beat-Sonic Android Auto vs Blue Tooth. I have the base sound systems in my 3RX. When I want high quality sound for music, I switch to BT audio, but of course, I lose sound from Android Auto (I can't hear the Google Assistant, Waze, etc.). If I want directions step-by-step voice instructions (such as from Waze or Google Maps), I have to switch to Aux sound input (Beat-sonic), and yes, I can play music through AA, but its at a lower quality sound.
MatiLab (10-22-19)
Old 11-22-19, 11:20 PM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Any updates on the beatsonic apple carplay? Long-term usability thoughts?
Old 11-27-19, 05:54 AM
Will31894
Driver

One thing to note about the system is when there are updates pushed out by beatsonic, it looks like you have to take everything apart to reach the hardware boxes. That would probably be annoying especially if the update provides a new function or resolves an issue that you need asap. Also it looks like updates are pushed out often, maybe just for now.
Old 12-05-19, 06:53 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

One thing to note about the system is when there are updates pushed out by beatsonic, it looks like you have to take everything apart to reach the hardware boxes. That would probably be annoying especially if the update provides a new function or resolves an issue that you need asap. Also it looks like updates are pushed out often, maybe just for now.
One could also plug in an usb extension from the moduel and leave it in the glove box for easy updating without taking everything apart simply to update.
Old 12-05-19, 09:53 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zhifan1
One could also plug in an usb extension from the moduel and leave it in the glove box for easy updating without taking everything apart simply to update.
Unfortunately it's not as simple as plugging in USB drive. Instructions showing all video cables need to be unplugged before updating. Good thing I didn't buy this kit seems like a pain just to update FW.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rgr...8dC6SlMRK/view
Will31894 (12-05-19)
Old 12-05-19, 10:16 AM
Will31894
Driver

Originally Posted by zhifan1
As Dojoman replied below, its not just one USB connection, its multiple different boxes/components that need to be updated. I guess you could run three different USB cables to the glove box, but then im not sure if the connections are used by the system so maybe a spliter? lol , or if certain parameters have to be met, like unplugging it completely or having the system connected to a power source.

Hopefully they add a way to update all the systems in a more convenient method!

Quick Reply: Take 2 - BeatSonic Lexus Carplay