IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Salvage is250, minimal damage

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-19 | 04:03 PM
Is200tieu
Driver School Candidate

Default Salvage is250, minimal damage

Was browsing the auction and came across this really clean IS. Has minimal damage just to the rear trunk, nothing else to be seen. Suggestions/tips? How much do you think it should go for? Has 42,000 miles and is a first model 3IS.
thanks!
Old 05-14-19 | 07:01 PM
ex00
Intermediate

Not too sure if the meaning of salvaged is the same for all people but I considered salvaged when the value of repair is beyond the current value of the car. But then that is depending what the insurance company deems it to be so in their books, they think it's not worth for them to repair the car but to just pay out for the car.

Did airbags deploy?
Old 05-14-19 | 11:15 PM
BrettKA7
Pole Position

I’m willing to bet this car has irreparable frame damage and/or slightly buckled quarter panels and c pillars
Old 05-15-19 | 02:06 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BrettKA7
I’m willing to bet this car has irreparable frame damage and/or slightly buckled quarter panels and c pillars
Damage does not look that bad to me. Some insurance companies just deem cars a total loss for the smallest things, others are super strict so it just depends.
Old 05-15-19 | 08:23 AM
Is200tieu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ex00
Not too sure if the meaning of salvaged is the same for all people but I considered salvaged when the value of repair is beyond the current value of the car. But then that is depending what the insurance company deems it to be so in their books, they think it's not worth for them to repair the car but to just pay out for the car.

Did airbags deploy?
No airbags at all, car runs and drives. Attached some more pictures. To my eyes, seems like the diffuser is a little messed up and mainly trunk lid needs to be replaced.

Old 05-15-19 | 08:25 AM
Is200tieu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BrettKA7
I also thought that. But closely looking at all the panels, looks like it all is in good condition. But to a professionals eyes, there could be way more than just a trunk lid.
Old 05-15-19 | 08:43 AM
Pittsy
Racer

It looks like a steal quite frankly. Have it inspected for frame rail and pillar damage.
Old 05-15-19 | 08:51 AM
Is200tieu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Pittsy
It looks like a steal quite frankly. Have it inspected for frame rail and pillar damage.
Even if it did have slight buckling or little frame damage, you think it’ll be worth it? The bid is slightly under 10k at the moment. I’m just looking for a daily, not to resell or anything.
Old 05-15-19 | 09:35 AM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Is200tieu
Even if it did have slight buckling or little frame damage, you think it’ll be worth it? The bid is slightly under 10k at the moment. I’m just looking for a daily, not to resell or anything.
I'm overly cautious and would err on the side of being very conservative, so I would have everything inspected thoroughly like what others said above. Get the chassis/frame checked out along with the rest of the car and if it turns out it's only the trunk needing replacing, you're in luck and this would be a steal.

Any frame damage is a risk since the original integrity was impacted. A good reputable shop should be able to repair minor frame damage and hopefully reinforce it, but it ultimately it's the threshold of risk you're willing to accept - even if the overall cost as is may be a "steal."
Old 05-15-19 | 10:32 AM
350phi
Pit Crew

strange.. at most that's around 3k to repair. my IS got rear ended like that but not as bad. Had to replace and pull a few parts but not salvaged.

that trunk will be replaced. the rear lower trunk tray will need a pull. new rear bumper and diffuse. new rear bumper support and mount. 1500 in labor. 1500 in parts. 500 in paint.
Old 05-15-19 | 12:20 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by Is200tieu

Yes, in my opinion. If there is a crinkle in the frame, you are taking on the risk that if you get in a horrible, and i mean horrible accident, you could be squished in the car.

I doubt it has any frame damage though. Is it a possibility that the previous owner only had liability? Kind of weird to only have liability on a car of this class though.
Old 05-15-19 | 01:24 PM
Is200tieu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Pittsy
Yes, in my opinion. If there is a crinkle in the frame, you are taking on the risk that if you get in a horrible, and i mean horrible accident, you could be squished in the car.

I doubt it has any frame damage though. Is it a possibility that the previous owner only had liability? Kind of weird to only have liability on a car of this class though.
My goal was also to see if the previous owner would somehow see this post, pretty low hopes that’ll happen. But looks like this car is either a hit or miss. This was one of the best looking (condition wise) 3IS I’ve ever seen and I’ve been searching for a while.
Old 05-15-19 | 07:57 PM
jnesss
Driver

my old car got rear ended. damage didn't even look as bad as the one you posted up. i can't recall what the estimated repair cost was, but i think it was around $10k. it was written off.
Old 05-16-19 | 07:59 AM
RedneckJoe
Pit Crew

I’m watching it and may bid on it. Trying to talk my girlfriend into it, Lol.

Used decklid, bumper, and a little time on a frame machine is probably what it needs unless it was ran off the road and has suspension/chassis damage (they will definitely clean it and try to hide that). I have a good friend with a private body shop that just does companies/municipalities that self insure and is a pro at fixing stuff like that.

You really have no opportunity to do much of an inspection on Copart.

Bought a few work trucks off Copart and fixed them. Base model type of vehicles that are theft recoveries with minor body damage are the best deals by far.

Anyway just throwing my input out as she really doesn't want it because the cut off is 2016 plus for her. I wouldn't get it if it went for more than $10,800 because of the stiff auction fees. Lot of people overpay on Copart.

On a side note, where is the classifieds on this site? Sellers and people wanting to get out of leases.
Old 05-16-19 | 08:20 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RedneckJoe
On a side note, where is the classifieds on this site? Sellers and people wanting to get out of leases.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...classifieds-3/

Quick Reply: Salvage is250, minimal damage