IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Transmission clunk from park to other gears

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-19 | 08:16 AM
abaitedcat
Driver

Default Transmission clunk from park to other gears

Hi. Whenever I shift from my park to reverse or drive even on a flat service, my entire car ( 2015 is250 53,000 miles) clunks even with the e brake on. It is very noticeable going from p to r. It seems like I really need to press down really hard on the brake pedal to either stop or lessen the clunk. I also shift each gear slowly of doing it fast and waiting for it to lock in before going to the next gear should I be just park pulling straight down to D instead of p to r to n to d. Which is the correct way? Thanks .
Old 05-21-19 | 08:47 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by abaitedcat
Hi. Whenever I shift from my park to reverse or drive even on a flat service, my entire car ( 2015 is250 53,000 miles) clunks even with the e brake on. It is very noticeable going from p to r. It seems like I really need to press down really hard on the brake pedal to either stop or lessen the clunk. I also shift each gear slowly of doing it fast and waiting for it to lock in before going to the next gear should I be just park pulling straight down to D instead of p to r to n to d. Which is the correct way? Thanks .
my 2015 350 AWD, same tranny as yours does same thing, especially when cold. You really hear/feel it going into reverse. As long as you wait a second before gassing it after going into gear you’re fine. I noticed if cars warm, from driving recently it’s a lot let noticeable.
Old 05-21-19 | 09:02 AM
abaitedcat
Driver

And going from r to d or d to r is perfectly fine and smooth. Or going really fast from d to p.
Old 05-21-19 | 09:08 AM
arentz07

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
my 2015 350 AWD, same tranny as yours does same thing, especially when cold. You really hear/feel it going into reverse. As long as you wait a second before gassing it after going into gear you’re fine. I noticed if cars warm, from driving recently it’s a lot let noticeable.

As long as you wait a second before gassing it after going into gear you’re fine.
This would apply to literally any car ever. You shouldn't press that gas pedal until the gear has engaged.

I've never experienced a "clunk", but I have had the transmission be a little more jerky if I don't give the revs a good 5-7 seconds to drop before I put it into gear (while holding the brake, obviously).
Old 05-21-19 | 09:08 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by abaitedcat
And going from r to d or d to r is perfectly fine and smooth. Or going really fast from d to p.
R to D is pretty smooth, a slight surge when going into D, barely noticeable and all cars do it. I just mainly noticed, when cold, P to R can have a slight clunk.
Their really bulletproof transmissions, Lexus has been using it for well over 10 years, most likely your over thinking it or maybe it’s just how your shifting/pressing brake? I’d be absolutely blown away if the 6 speed tranny we have would have any sort of mechanical issues at 53k miles. Have you done a tranny drain n refill yet? And you still have powertrain warranty so I wouldn’t even sweat it, drive it, if it gets worse bring it in to Lexus
Old 05-21-19 | 09:14 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by arentz07

This would apply to literally any car ever. You shouldn't press that gas pedal until the gear has engaged.

I've never experienced a "clunk", but I have had the transmission be a little more jerky if I don't give the revs a good 5-7 seconds to drop before I put it into gear (while holding the brake, obviously).
I said in my comment you should wait a second after putting it into gear to hit the gas...
you replied with a confused emoji than proceeded to tell me exactly the same thing I said that you shouldn’t hit the gas right away after putting it into gear....
Old 05-21-19 | 09:43 AM
pngo
Intermediate

There are a couple of threads on this same issue. I experience the same thing and it is concerning to me, but others have either not felt it or think it is a non-issue.
Old 05-21-19 | 10:48 AM
arentz07

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
I said in my comment you should wait a second after putting it into gear to hit the gas...
you replied with a confused emoji than proceeded to tell me exactly the same thing I said that you shouldn’t hit the gas right away after putting it into gear....
My point was that I have never driven a car where, if I press the gas before the gear engages, it's smooth. There's always a jerk if I do that. It's not exclusive to the IS.
Old 05-21-19 | 11:30 PM
logix1229
Rookie

thank goodness someone posted this. i recently purchased a used 2014 and noticed this same issue. I thought something was wrong/broken but thankfully it seems to be a normal occurrence.