IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Android Assistant and Voice control not working over Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-19, 01:04 PM
FilmiHero
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Android Assistant and Voice control not working over Bluetooth

I have a 2016 IS350 AWD and I've connected my Pixel 2 XL to it via Bluetooth. I'm using Bluetooth AVRCP Version 1.3 so when I play music (such as Spotify) the artist and music information properly shows up in the car.

However, it looks like the car/Bluetooth isn't correctly picking up my voice whenever I use Google Assistant. For example, if hit the Google Assistant icon on the phone or the mic icon within Android Auto and I start talking, the phone doesn't pick anything up (meaning, my speech isn't transcribing onto the phone). On the other hand, if I make phone calls, the car picks up my voice just fine.

I also noticed that, while using Android Auto, if I have it play messages sent to me while driving, I won't hear anything through the car's speakers (or even the phone).

Has anyone run into this issue? And/Or have any suggestions?
Old 05-24-19, 06:14 AM
lance55
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I get the same issue for voice-to-text on the Galaxy S8. I usually have to tap the button a second time, and it starts picking up my voice. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if that function goes through the phone mic or the car's.

I don't use android auto, but, the car used to read my texts to me no problem, with a few seconds delay. Now, the delay is about 30 seconds or more, and it never even plays the most recent message.
Old 05-24-19, 08:44 AM
FilmiHero
9th Gear

Originally Posted by lance55
I get the same issue for voice-to-text on the Galaxy S8. I usually have to tap the button a second time, and it starts picking up my voice. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if that function goes through the phone mic or the car's.

I don't use android auto, but, the car used to read my texts to me no problem, with a few seconds delay. Now, the delay is about 30 seconds or more, and it never even plays the most recent message.
Okay, so it sounds like an issue with Android and not the car, right? I already passed on Android Auto integration in the car because I wanted a reliable car. I just hope there's no incompatibility issues with Bluetooth now too.
Old 05-24-19, 10:43 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 216 Posts

This is normal do you see your phone dialing yourself when you trigger voice control on the phone? It's trying to connect to car's microphone and there will be a big lag.
Old 05-24-19, 11:47 AM
FilmiHero
9th Gear

Wow, I actually figured it out. I basically had to reset my Google Assistant app (clear storage) and it started to work. I also changed my Bluetooth AVRCP version to 1.6 (from 1.3) and repaired with the car but I don't know if that's needed.

(1) Go into your Developer settings and change the BLUETOOTH AVRCP VERSION to 1.6. Then, 'forget' your current Blueooth pairing with your car on the phone and the car -- basically, repair the phone with your car. Restart the car to have the music info show up.

(2) Make a Google Assistant request (e.g., "Testing") and while it's speaking, hit the Recent Apps tab on your phone so you see this screen. Then, click on the Google Assistant icon at the top to bring up the context menu and select APP INFO.

(3) Select STORAGE

(4) Select CLEAR STORAGE

(5) Select CLEAR ALL DATA. Optionally, you can select CLEAR GOOGLE SEARCH DATA but I think that's optional.

Then, I simply made a Google Assistant request and the audio and mic came through the car. It all worked perfectly!

I hope this helps someone else.
Old 05-24-19, 02:26 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,723 Likes on 1,896 Posts

Originally Posted by lance55

I have an S8 and have no issues with texts. Might have to compare some things to figure out why yours is different. (Also, this is off-topic from OP's topic I think.)