IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Luck with Continental tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-19, 04:36 PM
Robinson77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Luck with Continental tires?

Has anyone had the Continental Extreme Contact tires on their IS? I live in a pretty pithole-striken town, but lighting has truly struck twice this weekend.

Friday night leaving work I hit a pothole and ripped a hole in the sidewall of my front right tire. $219 after installation to repair.

To add insult to injury the tire wasn’t installed properly and I wound up on the side of the road waiting on AAA the next day with a flat.

Fast forward to today and I hit another pothole trying to avoid it and the same thing happens to my back right tire. $220 to repair + installation.

So this makes me wonder wonder if I should be concerned about the Continental Extreme Contact tires in general? Or if I’ve just stumbled across some horrible luck. Any input is appreciated!
Old 05-27-19, 04:47 PM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Excellent tires, I've owned several and in my north-eastern, pot-hole riddled, US road, I'm not sure any tire will survive the sharp edges of a deep pothole. Every tire I've owned has succumbed following a winter storm and bad roads, and I've been driving for 50 years. I suppose you get get an off-road or truck tire, but that has other issues.

One thought, Tirerack has a 2 year warranty on their tires, ask them about the warranty. I've used it 2X's and got a free tire each time.
The following users liked this post:
Robinson77 (05-27-19)
Old 05-27-19, 07:15 PM
mak8504
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I’m running Continental extreme contact DWS06 and I had two flats on the same tire within 3 weeks of getting them. Haven’t had an issue since (knock on wood). I think this is more of a low profile tire setup/suspension tune issue rather than the fault of the actual tire though. I shudder as I type this when thinking about how bad a profile feels when driving the IS...
Old 05-27-19, 08:10 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,755 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Originally Posted by Robinson77
Has anyone had the Continental Extreme Contact tires on their IS? I live in a pretty pithole-striken town, but lighting has truly struck twice this weekend.

Friday night leaving work I hit a pothole and ripped a hole in the sidewall of my front right tire. $219 after installation to repair.

To add insult to injury the tire wasn’t installed properly and I wound up on the side of the road waiting on AAA the next day with a flat.

Fast forward to today and I hit another pothole trying to avoid it and the same thing happens to my back right tire. $220 to repair + installation.

So this makes me wonder wonder if I should be concerned about the Continental Extreme Contact tires in general? Or if I’ve just stumbled across some horrible luck. Any input is appreciated!
I see you're in "Kansas". Not sure if KCMO area or not, but if so, I feel your pain. I don't have Continentals, but I had a sidewall bubble a few weeks ago due to a pothole (or at least, that's what I would guess). The roads around here are mostly good, but when they are bad, they're REALLY bad. But I don't think your Continental tires are alone in suffering flats, as I had one of my BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S tires go out as well.

@sunamer had these same tires on his as well. I drove his car a couple of times, and they seemed to be pretty responsive, but still quiet and comfortable. Definitely just a little softer than mine though.

Maybe having stiffer sidewalls would make them more resistant to getting bubbles or flats, as I have on my BFGoodrichs, but as you can see, that's no guarantee.
Old 05-27-19, 08:21 PM
Robinson77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I see you're in "Kansas". Not sure if KCMO area or not, but if so, I feel your pain. I don't have Continentals, but I had a sidewall bubble a few weeks ago due to a pothole (or at least, that's what I would guess). The roads around here are mostly good, but when they are bad, they're REALLY bad. But I don't think your Continental tires are alone in suffering flats, as I had one of my BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S tires go out as well.

@sunamer had these same tires on his as well. I drove his car a couple of times, and they seemed to be pretty responsive, but still quiet and comfortable. Definitely just a little softer than mine though.

Maybe having stiffer sidewalls would make them more resistant to getting bubbles or flats, as I have on my BFGoodrichs, but as you can see, that's no guarantee.
First flat was actually in KCMO. Second in Overland Park, but yes everywhere I've been in town is very bad.
Old 05-27-19, 11:03 PM
Lexyaaaas
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Personally never liked Continentals. Their sidewalls didnt feel as quality as other brands back when I was installing tires 10 years ago or so.
For ride quality I'd go with Michelin Pilot Sports. Or if you want something cheap I'd go with Firestone Firehawk
Old 05-28-19, 06:41 AM
Crossxup11
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the DWS06 on my 350. I love the tires so far. Good grip in wet and dry conditions. I have confidence in turns and they are not loud. I don't know what else to say, solid tires.
Old 05-29-19, 10:13 AM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same experience with the Conti DWS, went through 3 tires in one Boston winter. No problems with OEM Bridgestones or Michelin AS3 plus I’m running now.

Originally Posted by Robinson77

The following users liked this post:
Robinson77 (05-29-19)
Old 05-31-19, 05:18 PM
Bastrd6
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 43 Posts

Have Conti DWS06 on my IS and theyve defintely held up well to some rough backroads and pot holes.
Old 05-31-19, 06:36 PM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Man, I've had several sets of Conti DWS tires, never had a problem. But then again, I don't hit pot-holes.

Sounds like you don't need different tires, you need a truck.
Old 05-31-19, 07:03 PM
evident
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 88 Posts

Been using the extreme contact DW summers since 14k miles and going. Got them because the Michelin pss were sold out but I'm not complaining. Great tires. If you want cheap but great tires, get sumitomo htr z3 . They were great on my g35 but only had it for about 6k miles
Old 06-01-19, 06:56 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Had two sets of DWS on my previous car. Just after getting the first ones, one got a cut on the inside sidewall and was replaced, but no other issues. Great all-round tires, long-lasting, and reasonably-priced. And have to believe that they are quieter than these Turanzas, which sound like rollerskates on concrete.
Old 06-03-19, 10:15 PM
sunamer
Advanced

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

As @arentz07 mentioned, I used to have DWS06.
pros: nice grip in the wet, quite ride, nice traction in snow.
cons: side wall too soft = affects steering response and cornering stability.

i also got an inner wall damage on one of the tires due to a pothole. Did not know it was there until I changed the tires.
Now I ride on Indy500 summer tires and like them a lot more than the DWS06s.