IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Took my car to get it washed then this happens. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-19, 04:19 PM
Erikkenny
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Took my car to get it washed then this happens. HELP

I am hoping someone can tell me what the hell this part is, so annoyed. I called the car wash and they said they have it and that I can pick it up tomorrow but I am wondering if this is an easy fix? or do I need a whole new part..

HELP
Old 06-03-19, 09:34 PM
Luisvm
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

It's hard to tell what I'm looking at from the pic you posted. If it's the small exterior garnish on the front window corner (gloss black triangle shape), then it looks like they might've snapped it. See the attached pic and link below. On my 2014 is350, that piece is secured by a screw in addition to the clip/guide. You have to remove the interior door trim panel to get to the screw to properly remove it. Part link: https://www.mylparts.com/oem-parts/l...ing-6749653030

The following users liked this post:
Erikkenny (06-04-19)
Old 06-03-19, 11:13 PM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

It might be a quick fix, but it might also not be. It depends on how much damage there is.
Cracked mirror? Water in the door? Damaged electrical components?
Erikkenny (06-04-19)
Old 06-04-19, 04:54 AM
Erikkenny
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Luisvm
It's hard to tell what I'm looking at from the pic you posted. If it's the small exterior garnish on the front window corner (gloss black triangle shape), then it looks like they might've snapped it. See the attached pic and link below. On my 2014 is350, that piece is secured by a screw in addition to the clip/guide. You have to remove the interior door trim panel to get to the screw to properly remove it. Part link: https://www.mylparts.com/oem-parts/l...ing-6749653030

Thats exactly what it is, I couldn’t just use some heavy duty glue? What electrical components should i worry about? No other damage anywhere
Old 06-04-19, 07:37 AM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts

So your side mirror is fine? If it is and just the black plastic triangle, that part may just be held on by clips and a screw as Luisvm said above. I guess a quick DIY could be to use heavy duty glue, but you'd need to ensure you get a good glue seal plus it would need to be completely waterproof because the last thing you'd want is water seeping into those clip/screw holes.

Since it's not your fault for the damage, can't you go back to that car wash place and get them to pay for the damage to get it fixed properly?
Erikkenny (06-04-19)
Old 06-04-19, 07:51 AM
Erikkenny
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by unioncorps
So your side mirror is fine? If it is and just the black plastic triangle, that part may just be held on by clips and a screw as Luisvm said above. I guess a quick DIY could be to use heavy duty glue, but you'd need to ensure you get a good glue seal plus it would need to be completely waterproof because the last thing you'd want is water seeping into those clip/screw holes.

Since it's not your fault for the damage, can't you go back to that car wash place and get them to pay for the damage to get it fixed properly?

Yes everything is fine asides that part, and unfortunately they state “we aren’t responsible for anything broken” blah blah blah, literally so annoying.
Old 06-04-19, 08:15 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...ulding,,67496C
Erikkenny (06-04-19)
Old 06-04-19, 11:41 AM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Erikkenny
Yes everything is fine asides that part, and unfortunately they state “we aren’t responsible for anything broken” blah blah blah, literally so annoying.
I'd still argue. I mean that's significant damage, not like a little scratch or nick to the paint.
Old 06-04-19, 12:54 PM
Luisvm
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Erikkenny
Thats exactly what it is, I couldn’t just use some heavy duty glue? What electrical components should i worry about? No other damage anywhere
You can use a two-part epoxy glue (JB Weld), but it might not be quite as flush as it was before. Something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/J-B-Weld...0112/204986141. I wouldn't worry about water leaking in. As I recall, there's another piece on the interior of the car that seals off the cutout. The part they broke is purely cosmetic.

The part is not too expensive though. I would just buy it online and replace it. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, you might find a local audio or vinyl wrap installer to get a price quote and buy the part online. They're usually comfortable removing trim pieces like that. It's not hard, but it's easy to mar the trim if you're not careful.

However, like others suggested, I would call BS on their policy of avoiding liability. That piece is secured pretty well. It would take a bit of force to break it. At the very least, I'd demand additional information, for example:
  • Specific details regarding their policy for broken/damaged items. Their little disclaimer sign can't shield them from ALL liability.
  • Do they have a more detailed written policy? It's expected it would include small scratches, minor damage, etc., but this is beyond that.
  • How did it happen? They were clearly aware of it since they had the broken part, but intentionally concealed it from you. Was it a drive thru wash, did an employee snag a towel on it?
  • Maybe offer to be reasonable and suggest they reimburse you for the cost of the part and you agree to have it installed...