IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Are dealership oil changes 5k or 10k?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-19, 10:52 AM
spindos
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are dealership oil changes 5k or 10k?

I threw away the oil change sticker that the dealership put on my car so I'm not sure what the actual interval is. The infotainment system has the oil change service listed at 10k while the scheduled maintenance reminder light on the instrument cluster is on. These are two conflicting sources of information and I'd really appreciate if someone could chime in.
Old 06-04-19, 11:40 AM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts

According to Lexus, it's at 10K (or 1 year if you have the 2 complimentary maintenance deal with the purchase of a new car - whichever comes first).
Old 06-04-19, 11:40 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 869 Likes on 655 Posts

The service intervals are every 5K miles for the tire rotations and every 10K for the synthetic oil changes.
Both of your notifications are appropriate, Oil change service at 10K and "scheduled maintenance reminder"
is for the tires and various minor checks and fills. Note: at 30, 60, 90k miles the schedule calls for cabin air
filter and brake fluid flush services also.
Old 06-04-19, 01:21 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Topical: https://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/MY...ices-Guide.pdf

tl;dr: Every 5,000 miles, you'll want to inspect fluids and consumable items (like brake pads). Every 10,000, you have an oil change.
Old 06-05-19, 12:24 AM
ABGLexus
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
The service intervals are every 5K miles for the tire rotations and every 10K for the synthetic oil changes.
Both of your notifications are appropriate, Oil change service at 10K and "scheduled maintenance reminder"
is for the tires and various minor checks and fills. Note: at 30, 60, 90k miles the schedule calls for cabin air
filter and brake fluid flush services also.
5k service is pointless on the IS F Sport. The tires are staggered and you can't even rotate them back to front, just side to side aka pointless right?
Old 06-05-19, 06:06 AM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ABGLexus
5k service is pointless on the IS F Sport. The tires are staggered and you can't even rotate them back to front, just side to side aka pointless right?
I wouldn't say the 5K service is pointless for the F-Sport - It'd be more checking on fluids and other wearable items on the car. But particularly for the F-Sports, since the wheel setup is staggered you wouldn't be able to rotate them aside from moving from one side to the other as you mentioned. So as part of the service, it'd be inspecting them to see any signs of irregular wear (which our cars are known for due to the softer bushings that come stock).
Old 06-05-19, 10:25 AM
evltwn
Advanced

Received 143 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by unioncorps
I wouldn't say the 5K service is pointless for the F-Sport - It'd be more checking on fluids and other wearable items on the car. But particularly for the F-Sports, since the wheel setup is staggered you wouldn't be able to rotate them aside from moving from one side to the other as you mentioned. So as part of the service, it'd be inspecting them to see any signs of irregular wear (which our cars are known for due to the softer bushings that come stock).

With a the staggard wheels/tires on the FSports, instead of rotating them, I have had the tires re-balanced. I wouldn't bother switching them from one side to the other.
Old 06-05-19, 10:33 AM
luiave
Driver School Candidate

I in no way feel comfortable waiting 10k miles to change my engine oil. I usually change the oil around 6k miles...
Old 06-05-19, 11:01 AM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

If you have the base model with non-staggered wheels, make sure the dealer is actually rotating your wheels. Mine failed to do so for both my 20k and 25k service because they "assumed my wheels were staggered"..
Old 06-05-19, 12:21 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by luiave
I in no way feel comfortable waiting 10k miles to change my engine oil. I usually change the oil around 6k miles...
That’s a waste of money, if you’re going to do that use synthetic blend haha. Full synthetic was meant to go for much longer than conventional or synthetic blend. I would go 7,500 miles on full synthetic minimum. Just my opinion though, to each their own what they do with their money
Old 06-05-19, 06:01 PM
ABGLexus
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
That’s a waste of money, if you’re going to do that use synthetic blend haha. Full synthetic was meant to go for much longer than conventional or synthetic blend. I would go 7,500 miles on full synthetic minimum. Just my opinion though, to each their own what they do with their money
Same, my 2014 camry used full synthetic and i changed every 8-9k. It's at almost 100k miles with no issues. People are just old school sometimes with the mindset oil must be changed 3-5k.. This 2019 Lexus IS, I plan on changing 8-9k as well.
Old 06-05-19, 07:24 PM
luiave
Driver School Candidate

Same, my 2014 camry used full synthetic and i changed every 8-9k. It's at almost 100k miles with no issues. People are just old school sometimes with the mindset oil must be changed 3-5k.. This 2019 Lexus IS, I plan on changing 8-9k as well.
My issue is every time I change my oil at around 6500 miles it’s jet black. I’m not exactly a car guru but that can’t be great for the car...
Old 06-05-19, 08:20 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

My issue is every time I change my oil at around 6500 miles it’s jet black. I’m not exactly a car guru but that can’t be great for the car...
Have you checked the oil on your Lexus IS? I've never seen my oil in such condition in almost 30,000 miles.

Also, you might want to verify the type of oil that is being used. If you aren't getting full synthetic, it obviously won't last more than 5,000 reliably.
Old 06-05-19, 09:25 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I am at about 19000 miles, still about 1000 miles to go for oil change - the oil looks very good, no way it is 'black'. Either something wrong with your description or you have some issue.
Old 06-06-19, 02:08 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Yeah that sounds like conventional oil is being used. There's NO WAY it's jet black after that many miles. I am at 6,000 miles on my current oil and there's barely a hint of black.

Quick Reply: Are dealership oil changes 5k or 10k?