IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

What All Season Tires Are You Running?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-19, 08:44 PM
Neat
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What All Season Tires Are You Running?

What all tire season are you running? Would you recommend them for someone living in the North East? Pros/Cons from your experience with them?
Old 06-05-19, 01:21 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Neat
What all tire season are you running? Would you recommend them for someone living in the North East? Pros/Cons from your experience with them?
RWD or AWD?
Old 06-05-19, 06:59 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

I have Goodyear Eagle Sport.
Specs look good and they're not the cheapest tire; however I would not recommend. They do not handle well and I've always had to be extra careful when accelerating in the rain. Can't wait to replace with summer tires (I live in Southern CA).
Old 06-05-19, 07:48 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Currently running Toyo Proxes 4 plus staggered. They dont handle deep standing water at highway speeds... I dont think I could recommend them for someone expecting a lot of snow.

I know this is different, but my car was briefly stuck on a small mud patch. If I recall correctly, it was the right rear tire. I forget how i got out of it, but if thats any indicator, I wouldnt use my tires if I knew I would be encountering snow any time soon.

Good luck on the search.

PS

Had a positive experience on Falken Ziex 950 A/S on my previous 2004 camry in Michigan winters. Obviously not a winter tire, but I was certainly able to drive around once the roads were plowed. Several of my roommates (big house) got stuck on the road right in front of our house, but I was the only one able to make it out of the main road which had a decent incline. I can recommend those Falkens - no hesitation.
Old 06-05-19, 08:08 AM
MoreNachos
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 on mine. Took the 3IS up to the pass skiing on these tires 8 or 9 times this year, never an issue. Also got me to work during our 2 week snowstorm with minimal issues. I am AWD.

The following 2 users liked this post by MoreNachos:
Neat (06-05-19), sixbanger (06-11-19)
Old 06-05-19, 09:07 AM
m1919
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS on mine right now, RWD.

Handled well the snow without any issues last major snowfall we had back in March, just a bit of slippage on start due to black ice under fresh snow.

Handling in the rain feels good, haven't run into any situations where the grip has been an issue. They seem pretty noisy to me depending on the road surface, but I have nothing to compare to as these were installed by the dealer on my IS200T F Sport before I picked it up in February.
Old 06-05-19, 11:24 AM
Neat
Driver

Originally Posted by Flash5
RWD or AWD?
AWD - also looking to do a square set up
Old 06-05-19, 11:27 AM
Neat
Driver

Originally Posted by MoreNachos
I have the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 on mine. Took the 3IS up to the pass skiing on these tires 8 or 9 times this year, never an issue. Also got me to work during our 2 week snowstorm with minimal issues. I am AWD.

Glad to hear! Are you running a square set up? How’s the handling in the rain? Are they loud?
Old 06-05-19, 12:03 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Instead of an "all season" tire, you might look into an "all weather" tire. They are marked with a symbol of a 3 peak mountain with a snowflake. They are designed for much better winter traction than the all seasons. Toyo Celcius is one example available in the US.
Old 06-05-19, 12:25 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Instead of an "all season" tire, you might look into an "all weather" tire. They are marked with a symbol of a 3 peak mountain with a snowflake. They are designed for much better winter traction than the all seasons. Toyo Celcius is one example available in the US.
Funny you mentioned this, here in Germany the tires have to have that symbol to legally drive during the winter haha you get fined if caught with tires that don’t have that symbol during the winter.
Old 06-05-19, 01:08 PM
MoreNachos
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Glad to hear! Are you running a square set up? How’s the handling in the rain? Are they loud?
I am staggered, I believe they are 225 front and 255 rear. Handling in the rain is fine, never slipped and I'm in Seattle so that is not for lack of opportunity. I haven't driven with any other tires on this car so I have nothing to compare sound-wise, but never have I noticed these tires being noisy.

I'm about to pull the trigger on new rims, and will be purchasing these tires again, mainly because I know they perform well in the mountains during ski season.
Old 06-05-19, 01:31 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,709 Likes on 1,887 Posts

I'm running BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S.

Pros: Stiff sidewalls that lead to a composed ride and sharp turn-in, decent comfort over most surfaces, and talkative at the limit. Very nice in dry weather.
Cons: Weird humming/resonance sound at speed, smaller impacts come into the cabin quite a bit more than something like the DWS06. Could be better in snow, but not the worst.

If you need the best snow performance, look elsewhere, but if you are prioritizing dry performance, it'll probably be either these of the Michelin PS A/S 3+.

Old 06-05-19, 04:53 PM
Neat
Driver

Originally Posted by Flash5
Funny you mentioned this, here in Germany the tires have to have that symbol to legally drive during the winter haha you get fined if caught with tires that don’t have that symbol during the winter.
Thats crazy! Might have to get those tires in case I ever move there or to Europe 😝
Old 06-05-19, 04:54 PM
Neat
Driver

Originally Posted by MoreNachos
I am staggered, I believe they are 225 front and 255 rear. Handling in the rain is fine, never slipped and I'm in Seattle so that is not for lack of opportunity. I haven't driven with any other tires on this car so I have nothing to compare sound-wise, but never have I noticed these tires being noisy.

I'm about to pull the trigger on new rims, and will be purchasing these tires again, mainly because I know they perform well in the mountains during ski season.
Thats awesome man. Just came back from Seattle! You have a very clean city haha
Old 06-06-19, 01:50 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Thats crazy! Might have to get those tires in case I ever move there or to Europe 😝
Most of us just swap between summer and winter tires every season.

Quick Reply: What All Season Tires Are You Running?