IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Help! ARK GRIP Performance exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-19, 03:17 PM
johan2019
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help! ARK GRIP Performance exhaust

Hey there, new to the forums. I bought a catback ARK GRIP performance exhaust for a 2014 lexus is350 RWD a couple of weeks ago. Recently I have been having a big issue exhaust cat section. The Lexus tech that has been dealing with my car pointed out that the welding of the sensor housing connection is too far out causing the o2 sensors to not sit deep into the pipe as it would on an oem cat which ultimately causes the o2 sensors to read adequate oxygen/fuel fume levels. Due to this problem, there has been rough idling as well multiple CEL codes. My question to you guys is if anyone experienced this problem with an ARK grip performance cats? Also, is there anything that can be done in order for the o2 sensors to sit inward (deeper) into the pipe? Because the exhaust is brandly new, (purchased in late april) less than 1k miles in it. Should i return the product?

What do you guys think?
The following users liked this post:
momak (03-27-20)
Old 06-12-19, 04:35 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,370 Posts

I would say return the product if there is an issue related to manufacturing.

Questions:
- what are the codes that you are getting?
- and what is the piece of metal(?) between the sensor and pipe?
Old 06-12-19, 05:06 AM
johan2019
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply! These are the codes that I have gotten, and this is the part of the pipe that was manufactured too far out
Old 06-12-19, 06:31 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 115 Posts

I remember reading about this regarding Ark exhausts. Someone else was dealing with CEL issues as well. Looks like design flaw to me
Old 06-12-19, 08:40 AM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts

It seems whoever installed it jacked up your sensor, the shield around it is jacked up, seems like it was heated and broken apart to get it off.
Old 06-12-19, 09:10 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyN
It seems whoever installed it jacked up your sensor, the shield around it is jacked up, seems like it was heated and broken apart to get it off.
That's the part I was referring to...the remnants of the heat shield.
Which makes you wonder how they got it off? Looks like a torch was used.
Unfortunately if that is the case, that much direct heat could screw up the sensor...not a guarantee, but a possibility.
At this point the shield is doing jack, might as well toss them.

Also, if possible to swap the O2 sensors side to side, see if the code follows the sensor (you would get codes for Bank 1). If it does, then the issue is the sensor, not the pipe.
Old 06-12-19, 01:13 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by JNP1227
I remember reading about this regarding Ark exhausts. Someone else was dealing with CEL issues as well. Looks like design flaw to me
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...exhaust-3.html
Old 06-12-19, 09:13 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

For what its worth, I haven't had problems with the Ark exhaust (had it for 4 years now, a couple of installs/removals).
Old 03-27-20, 11:35 AM
momak
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I just got my ark grip exhaust the other week and my mechanic was unable to get the 02 sensors off because they have a sleeve on them and that bent metal you are seeing is the sleeve. That sleeve is a heat shield. It looks like your mechanic cot off way too much of the sleeve as it functions like a cape. My mechanic left the hood part of the cape and cut the rest of the cape off when it starts to bend long ways alongside the sensor. I have still not had any issues, but I know there will be an issue sometime soon for sure. I am assuming there is a specialty tool which makes removing those 02 sensors with the cape much easier, but my mechanic did not have that specialty tool and had to cut that cape like your mechanic did. I am sure buying new sensors along with that specialty tool will help him install the news ones with the shield easily. If anyone knows what specialty tool is needed for the 2015 lexus is 350 awd f sport, please PM me.
Old 03-27-20, 11:38 AM
momak
Driver School Candidate

forgot to add that the cape i am talking about is the heat shield for the sensor which explains why you are having issues. most likely it over heated and will need to be replaced to clear those codes. best of luck. please let us know how much those costs because i am too scared to take a look :/
stay well during this crazy quarantine
Old 03-27-20, 11:41 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by momak
I just got my ark grip exhaust the other week and my mechanic was unable to get the 02 sensors off because they have a sleeve on them and that bent metal you are seeing is the sleeve. That sleeve is a heat shield. It looks like your mechanic cot off way too much of the sleeve as it functions like a cape. My mechanic left the hood part of the cape and cut the rest of the cape off when it starts to bend long ways alongside the sensor. I have still not had any issues, but I know there will be an issue sometime soon for sure. I am assuming there is a specialty tool which makes removing those 02 sensors with the cape much easier, but my mechanic did not have that specialty tool and had to cut that cape like your mechanic did. I am sure buying new sensors along with that specialty tool will help him install the news ones with the shield easily. If anyone knows what specialty tool is needed for the 2015 lexus is 350 awd f sport, please PM me.
Yup, they sell o2 sensor sockets that will remove o2 sensors without damaging the sleeve. I'm a surprised a "mechanic" doesn't have one.

I installed my Ark Grip myself, and this is the sensor socket set I bought:
Amazon Amazon

It worked great for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by whoismiked:
Farizzl3 (07-15-20), momak (03-27-20)
Old 03-27-20, 11:47 AM
momak
Driver School Candidate

He is a mechanic who was recommended by my friend. Thank you for the prompt response. I am going to buy those now and pray that I won't have to buy new 02 sensors. Also, I purchased an extended warranty when I bought the car. Is it safe to assume that my warranty is voided with this exhaust? lol
whoismiked (03-27-20)
Old 03-27-20, 11:53 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

He is a mechanic who was recommended by my friend. Thank you for the prompt response. I am going to buy those now and pray that I won't have to buy new 02 sensors. Also, I purchased an extended warranty when I bought the car. Is it safe to assume that my warranty is voided with this exhaust? lol
Not flat out voided, no.

Mods to your car often come with risks, but as far as warranty goes. There is a law ( Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act) that states a company cannot void your warranty unless they can prove the mod caused the failure.

Now I'm sure your o2 sensors, exhaust, and anything related, are no longer under warranty, but lets say for example your headlight goes bad, they cannot deny your warranty to fix the headlight because you modified your exhaust.

So again, your warranty is not flat out void, but if you have a issue and they can somehow legitimately blame your exhaust caused that failure, then that claim could be denied.
momak (03-27-20)
Old 03-27-20, 12:01 PM
momak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whoismiked
Not flat out voided, no.

Mods to your car often come with risks, but as far as warranty goes. There is a law ( Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act) that states a company cannot void your warranty unless they can prove the mod caused the failure.

Now I'm sure your o2 sensors, exhaust, and anything related, are no longer under warranty, but lets say for example your headlight goes bad, they cannot deny your warranty to fix the headlight because you modified your exhaust.

So again, your warranty is not flat out void, but if you have a issue and they can somehow legitimately blame your exhaust caused that failure, then that claim could be denied.
Thank you for informing me about this law. I was worried if something went terribly wrong, they would say you have an aftermarket exhaust. Sorry.
also, nice rims 😁

whoismiked (03-27-20)
Old 03-27-20, 12:09 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

also, nice rims 😁
Ayyyye! We are wheel brothers! Nice choice my man! I love mine and get compliments on them all the time. The only downside is they are a pain to clean haha. I actually had a different wheel model in mind when I went to the shop and then saw these ones on display and really liked them so I got them and couldn't be happier. Did you stay staggered or squared? I went Squared (18x8.5 on all corners) so that I could start doing tire rotations.
momak (03-27-20)

Quick Reply: Help! ARK GRIP Performance exhaust