IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus logic of memory seating in the RC but not the IS

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-19, 08:40 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Lexus logic of memory seating in the RC but not the IS

I love my IS350 f-sport but I cant comprehend the logic of Lexus having memory seating as a standard in the RC coupes but not in the FOUR DOOR IS. This feature is more practical in a 4 door vehicle than a 2 door vehicle. My wife rarely drives my car but I still have to remember to adjust just right everytime. The RC's dont need memory seating. Lol

Last edited by GibbsLexus; 07-01-19 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-01-19, 08:48 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

This is one of the reasons I'm putting the RC on my shopping list for when my lease is up - well, in a more general sense, it has a few features the IS doesn't. I think it's just a way to differentiate the RC from the IS and convince buyers to spend a little more on the RC.
Old 07-01-19, 08:55 AM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
This is one of the reasons I'm putting the RC on my shopping list for when my lease is up - well, in a more general sense, it has a few features the IS doesn't. I think it's just a way to differentiate the RC from the IS and convince buyers to spend a little more on the RC.
Agreed. I think the IS being the "entry level" for the Lexus line, it'd be more profitable to lump things into packages which would essentially be upgrades for that trim. That's most likely the reason why it's not standard - similar to the reasoning why some other 'standard' features you see on the IS would be available options on a Corolla that would add to the overall cost.

A base model RC starts much higher than a base IS, so the pricing would actually include some things standard that would exist as additional packages/options on a lower end model.
The following users liked this post:
GibbsLexus (07-01-19)
Old 07-01-19, 09:20 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

I would get the RC, actually I would get the RCF (off topic), however that wouldn't be a good look for me now since I'm a family man. I'll wait until the girls are out of the house. Lol

Last edited by GibbsLexus; 07-02-19 at 06:07 AM.
Old 07-01-19, 09:26 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by unioncorps
Agreed. I think the IS being the "entry level" for the Lexus line, it'd be more profitable to lump things into packages which would essentially be upgrades for that trim. That's most likely the reason why it's not standard - similar to the reasoning why some other 'standard' features you see on the IS would be available options on a Corolla that would add to the overall cost.

A base model RC starts much higher than a base IS, so the pricing would actually include some things standard that would exist as additional packages/options on a lower end model.
Didnt know the IS350 trim was considered entry level
Old 07-01-19, 09:39 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,631 Likes on 1,038 Posts

At least it's more available now than it used to be. From 2014 to 17 it was only available on the Luxury Package, so you couldn't get it on an F Sport. From 2018 on they made the Comfort Package available, which includes the memory seats, and can be combined with the F Sport package. F Sport owners prior to 2018 were out of luck, even as a paid option.
Old 07-01-19, 09:39 AM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by GibbsLexus
Didnt know the IS350 trim was considered entry level
Meant the IS in general vs. the other models Lexus offers
Old 07-01-19, 10:12 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

I have 2019 ES as a loaner for 3 days it's very luxurious for the same price as IS so I don't agree Lexus left out some features for entry level car.
ES has memory seats, rain sensor, auto heat/ventilated seats, rear heat seats, etc... I hope next gen IS will have more common features like ES.
Old 07-01-19, 02:32 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 888 Likes on 668 Posts

The IS has Double Wishbone front suspensions and models with Turbos or AWD.
Has fold down back seats standard but N/A on ES's Traction Control allows the
defeat of the Stability Control. They are different platforms for different drivers.
You can buy the memory seats for an IS...you can not buy a AWD ES (yet!).
Old 07-01-19, 02:37 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by dojoman
I have 2019 ES as a loaner for 3 days it's very luxurious for the same price as IS so I don't agree Lexus left out some features for entry level car.
ES has memory seats, rain sensor, auto heat/ventilated seats, rear heat seats, etc... I hope next gen IS will have more common features like ES.
The 2019 ES is actually amazing. They pretty much erased all my complaints about the 2018-. It's quieter, rides just as well, but doesn't feel as ponderous. And, the interior is better designed. However, it's not as fun as the IS, that's for sure. I don't think I'd cross-shop them.
The following users liked this post:
GibbsLexus (07-01-19)
Old 07-01-19, 02:44 PM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

The 2019 ES is actually amazing. They pretty much erased all my complaints about the 2018-. It's quieter, rides just as well, but doesn't feel as ponderous. And, the interior is better designed. However, it's not as fun as the IS, that's for sure. I don't think I'd cross-shop them.
Agreed on the IS fun factor. Its definitely more sporty than luxury. However memory sheeting should be a standard on any$50k vehicle.
Old 07-01-19, 02:53 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by GibbsLexus
Agreed on the IS fun factor. Its definitely more sporty than luxury. However memory sheeting should be a standard on any$50k vehicle.
Good thing my IS stickered for only $47k then.

But no I totally agree. It's no wonder they added it to the 2018's as part of a package.
Old 07-01-19, 03:33 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

I've been doing spirited driving in ES 300h with Sport mode and to my surprise it's very quick, feels even quicker than my IS350. I'm just kind of stumped is it because of electric motor?

It's definitely for grandpa crowd with floaty suspension and handling but 0-60 feels a lot quicker.
Old 07-02-19, 08:52 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

$52,000 isn't entry level IMO, and with the other interior compliments, it made sense to have the memory seats, and at a minimum auto-dipping mirrors. I'd be much happier with my IS if it just had those two things.

The RC is nice, but no way I'd have it over an M2, so it's not even in the picture for me.
Old 07-02-19, 12:49 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by dojoman
I've been doing spirited driving in ES 300h with Sport mode and to my surprise it's very quick, feels even quicker than my IS350. I'm just kind of stumped is it because of electric motor?

It's definitely for grandpa crowd with floaty suspension and handling but 0-60 feels a lot quicker.
0-60 is slower in the ES 300h. I think what you feel is the relatively quicker throttle response, as you stated, due to the electric motors. Also the IS has some pretty noticeable throttle by wire delay, whereas the ES does not.

Quick Reply: Lexus logic of memory seating in the RC but not the IS