Brown/Discoloured Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-19, 05:14 PM
SpicklePie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brown/Discoloured Tires?

Hello All,

This may seem like a stupid question, but, I'm baffled as to why the tires on my 2018 IS 300 F SPORT are discoloured/brown around the edges. Each time I handwash my car, I pay special attention to the tires and use a tire brush.

I have attached a picture for reference.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
Old 08-12-19, 05:39 PM
BrettKA7
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I have the same car as you and my tires do not look like that. I hand wash my car as well. Do you have a stiff, plastic low profile tire brush? I’d suggest a stronger APC to knock the brown residue off. Pressure washing may help a bit too.
Old 08-12-19, 06:55 PM
MatB
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you dress your tires after washing g them? If so, maybe try a different tire dressing. You could try a wheel and tire cleaner. A tire brush is an excellent idea.
Old 08-12-19, 07:53 PM
enkrypt3d
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

That looks like dirt / brake dust on the tires... just wash them and use tire shine and be done with it!
Old 08-13-19, 07:07 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

That looks odd for sure...it almost looks like when you drive a tire ever so gently against a curb, and the cement basically scuffs the sidewall.
Usually some tire dressing will restore the black luster of the tire.
Any chance it gets driven on some odd surface we don't know about? Or even the automated tracks of a touchless carwash?
Old 08-13-19, 08:19 AM
evchao
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That **** is just oil from the tire manufacturing process seeping out IIRC. just get an APC [ie. super clean] and spray, let it dwell for few mins and then brush off. Old dressings also cause that
Old 08-13-19, 02:54 PM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by evchao
That **** is just oil from the tire manufacturing process seeping out IIRC. just get an APC [ie. super clean] and spray, let it dwell for few mins and then brush off. Old dressings also cause that
What he said. It's due to an additive during the tire manufacturing process to slow the degradation due to ozone, UV, etc. The additive, antiozonant, oxides over time and turns brown. It all just depends on exposure, the protectant used (or not used) and of course the tires themselves. Look up "tire blooming."

Every time I clean my cars/truck I use 303 aerospace and don't have that issue even in the blistering summers of Texas.

Last edited by Tungstn-IS; 08-13-19 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-13-19, 03:27 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

I've been using NO TOUCH tire shine for a while now, and it alleviates any discoloration I have on mine. My tires also get kinda brown after a few months. Tire shine is underrated - really makes the car look its best.
Old 08-13-19, 05:16 PM
SpicklePie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BrettKA7
I have the same car as you and my tires do not look like that. I hand wash my car as well. Do you have a stiff, plastic low profile tire brush? I’d suggest a stronger APC to knock the brown residue off. Pressure washing may help a bit too.
Thanks for your response. I recently purchased a pressure washer and used it this past Saturday, but will definitely try a stronger APC.
Old 08-13-19, 05:24 PM
SpicklePie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MatB
Do you dress your tires after washing g them? If so, maybe try a different tire dressing. You could try a wheel and tire cleaner. A tire brush is an excellent idea.
Thanks for your response and suggestions! I'll look into purchasing a more effective tire dressing.
Old 08-13-19, 05:27 PM
SpicklePie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by enkrypt3d
That looks like dirt / brake dust on the tires... just wash them and use tire shine and be done with it!
Thanks for your response! I will definitely do that.
Old 08-13-19, 05:30 PM
SpicklePie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
That looks odd for sure...it almost looks like when you drive a tire ever so gently against a curb, and the cement basically scuffs the sidewall.
Usually some tire dressing will restore the black luster of the tire.
Any chance it gets driven on some odd surface we don't know about? Or even the automated tracks of a touchless carwash?
Thank you for your response! I don't drive on any odd surfaces or take my car to the carwash, but I'll definitely look into getting a more effective tire dressing.
Old 08-13-19, 05:32 PM
SpicklePie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by evchao
Thank you for your response and suggestions, I appreciate it.
Old 08-13-19, 05:34 PM
SpicklePie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tungstn-IS
What he said. It's due to an additive during the tire manufacturing process to slow the degradation due to ozone, UV, etc. The additive, antiozonant, oxides over time and turns brown. It all just depends on exposure, the protectant used (or not used) and of course the tires themselves. Look up "tire blooming."

Every time I clean my cars/truck I use 303 aerospace and don't have that issue even in the blistering summers of Texas.
Thank you for explaining this; I really appreciate it. I'll look into the most effective tire dressings/APCs.
Old 08-13-19, 05:37 PM
SpicklePie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arentz07
I've been using NO TOUCH tire shine for a while now, and it alleviates any discoloration I have on mine. My tires also get kinda brown after a few months. Tire shine is underrated - really makes the car look its best.
Thank you for your response and suggestions, I appreciate it! I'll be sure to look into the No Touch tire shine.

Quick Reply: Brown/Discoloured Tires?