IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Break updates

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-19, 02:14 AM
mjrszr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Break updates

I am looking to update my 2018 IS300 F sport but keeping the OEM wheels setup.

I am looking at perhaps endless breaks.
Any one has any idea what break setup would work well for the IS309 Fsport?

Thank you.
Old 08-28-19, 03:33 PM
itsx
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

It depends on what you want out of the car.
If you want something that doesn't produce alot of brake dust, then Akebono brake pads are a popular option

If you don't care about brake dust production, then the oem fsport brake pads are a decent option.

If you don't care about the aesthetics of your brake rotor, an oem replacement, stoptech, centric, ebc blanks are good options.
If you do care about the aesthetics of having slotted and drilled rotors then i recommend buying them from a well known brand.

There are a few companies that offer BBK (big brake kit) upgrades. I know there is one sold by rr-rracing, I also recall reading about a RCF GSF ISF brake conversion on the is350 platform, that may require bracket adapters

Something to consider when wanting better braking performance is also the amount of grip offered by your tires.

I personally run carbotech 1521 pads with stoptech cryo treated slotted rotors paired with Hankook R-S4 tires. I wanted a setup that's slightly aggressive and I can use constantly whenever doing spirited canyon driving.
The following 2 users liked this post by itsx:
42nd (09-03-19), mjrszr (08-30-19)
Old 08-28-19, 08:11 PM
octagon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have MX72 pads on my WRX. Great pads. I also have a is300 F sport and looked into Endless pad options and I think ssm is the only commonly stocked compound. MX72 and other compounds should be available special order.

Like the above post, tires will limit brake performance. Aside from the higher temp range, the main benefit of the MX72 pads is pedal feel, more linear response and consistency. Much easier to approach abs threshold and precisely control how much speed you scrub off.

I've never had any noise issues. Just install with original shims and something like brembo b quiet. Upgrade the fluid when you change pads for the most benefit.

Endless bbk are probably nice but will cost an arm and a leg.
Old 08-30-19, 05:34 PM
mjrszr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by itsx
It depends on what you want out of the car.
If you want something that doesn't produce alot of brake dust, then Akebono brake pads are a popular option

If you don't care about brake dust production, then the oem fsport brake pads are a decent option.

If you don't care about the aesthetics of your brake rotor, an oem replacement, stoptech, centric, ebc blanks are good options.
If you do care about the aesthetics of having slotted and drilled rotors then i recommend buying them from a well known brand.

There are a few companies that offer BBK (big brake kit) upgrades. I know there is one sold by rr-rracing, I also recall reading about a RCF GSF ISF brake conversion on the is350 platform, that may require bracket adapters

Something to consider when wanting better braking performance is also the amount of grip offered by your tires.

I personally run carbotech 1521 pads with stoptech cryo treated slotted rotors paired with Hankook R-S4 tires. I wanted a setup that's slightly aggressive and I can use constantly whenever doing spirited canyon driving.
Thank you. I am looking to take my car for track day. I already have the Tom's ECO piggyback and the Tom's throttle Control. I really don't want more power. Just better throttle control and braking balance. I want a more aggressive braking.

I currently have Michelin Pilot Sport 4.
Old 08-30-19, 05:43 PM
mjrszr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by octagon
I have MX72 pads on my WRX. Great pads. I also have a is300 F sport and looked into Endless pad options and I think ssm is the only commonly stocked compound. MX72 and other compounds should be available special order.

Like the above post, tires will limit brake performance. Aside from the higher temp range, the main benefit of the MX72 pads is pedal feel, more linear response and consistency. Much easier to approach abs threshold and precisely control how much speed you scrub off.

I've never had any noise issues. Just install with original shims and something like brembo b quiet. Upgrade the fluid when you change pads for the most benefit.

Endless bbk are probably nice but will cost an arm and a leg.
Thank you.

I had Endless break system on my GTR and they were fantastic but, I don't know if they have anything that fits the IS3.

I had dunlop sp sportmax 050+ on My GTR but the tire wear on those is crazy aggressive. So when I saw that the IS300 Fsport comes stock with Dunlop SP sportmax 050...I prepared myself to change tires within the first year and focus on getting Michelin Pilot Sports.

Are TRD pads good for the IS? Are Tom's pads any good?
Old 09-01-19, 02:13 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

a track pads, brake fluid and tires are a must for a track day. If you can, I would look into some camber kits as well. The stock suspension camber settings are horrible for the track.
Old 09-04-19, 08:19 AM
Tlam94
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the stock brakes on the f sports are actually pretty good, aside from brake dust (which is to be expected from high performing brakes).
you could also look at caliper covers which reduce brake dust, but im sure reduce cooling but isnt a big deal if youre not tracking.
rr racing has good brake upgrades and im sure brembo makes something as well, but expect top shelf prices.
Old 09-04-19, 03:05 PM
itsx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mjrszr
Thank you. I am looking to take my car for track day. I already have the Tom's ECO piggyback and the Tom's throttle Control. I really don't want more power. Just better throttle control and braking balance. I want a more aggressive braking.

I currently have Michelin Pilot Sport 4.
Depending how hard you drive on those tires, they might not last your entire track session, and by that i mean they might get really hot and start to lose grip on you. Id say see what the track guys run for tires and brakes. I know my tire is a popular option (Hankook R-S4), some other popular options would be the r888r, re71r. You should be able to compare just based on weight of the car.

Another thing to consider would be getting SS brake lines, and upgrading to DOT4 fluid. I actually warped my stock rotors hence my switching to cryo slotted rotors.

Good luck finding your perfect setup!
Old 09-05-19, 04:06 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,657 Posts

Factory stock F Sport Professional German Pads (OE) are great. Best in the business for a performance oriented street pad. Packages are developed using supercomputers and secret insider data only Lexus has access to (on their own models) Same for every brand. The engineers did all the hard work for you.

Best of all they're the cheapest priced option if you buy them savvy. The dust is a badge of honor and they could save your life.

All you need to do is slick your hair back and enjoy!

If you really need less dust, then you can go with "Lexus blues" --they're made by a japanese supplier and are a "low dust" version of pad. Obviously you'll take a performance hit--otherwise Lexus wouldn't have two pads. They're likely a ceramic or ceramic hybrid of some sort as opposed to the sporty metallics.

Just know with brakes, you have to pay to play. There are no free rides.
Old 09-05-19, 04:58 PM
itsx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by E46CT
Factory stock F Sport Professional German Pads (OE) are great. Best in the business for a performance oriented street pad. Packages are developed using supercomputers and secret insider data only Lexus has access to (on their own models) Same for every brand. The engineers did all the hard work for you.

Best of all they're the cheapest priced option if you buy them savvy. The dust is a badge of honor and they could save your life.

All you need to do is slick your hair back and enjoy!

If you really need less dust, then you can go with "Lexus blues" --they're made by a japanese supplier and are a "low dust" version of pad. Obviously you'll take a performance hit--otherwise Lexus wouldn't have two pads. They're likely a ceramic or ceramic hybrid of some sort as opposed to the sporty metallics.

Just know with brakes, you have to pay to play. There are no free rides.

so how do you think they would perform on the track? I've never been that hard on my pads to experience brake fade, but i know OP seems to be thinking about taking the IS to the track