IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2020 Updates?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-19 | 05:52 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Default 2020 Updates?

I’m sure this has been discussed previously, but wanted to chime in since it’s getting towards the end of the year and the IS is desperately needing a refresh. Does anyone have any definitive information on the 2020 release? Is it going to be a carryover, or a refresh?
Old 08-28-19 | 06:45 PM
arentz07

Originally Posted by FUZCO
I’m sure this has been discussed previously, but wanted to chime in since it’s getting towards the end of the year and the IS is desperately needing a refresh. Does anyone have any definitive information on the 2020 release? Is it going to be a carryover, or a refresh?
Nothing yet. There have been rumors swirling of an update or redesign, but Lexus themselves have not confirmed anything.
The following users liked this post:
FUZCO (08-28-19)
Old 08-28-19 | 06:47 PM
GNS
Intermediate

The fact that there is zero concrete information is not encouraging. All I've heard so far are rumors like Job #1 starting in July 2020 for the 2021 model year, the switch to the TNGA platform, it will be slightly larger than the current gen, and a 2.4L turbo engine will replace the V6. There is even an absurd rumor going around about the IS getting the B58 engine from the Supra, when there is already a V35A-FTS twin turbo V6 engine available.
FUZCO (08-28-19)
Old 08-28-19 | 09:14 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Interesting how Lexus has been keeping us in the dark about the IS. Just hope that they don’t drag their heels like they’ve done with the RX. They posted three months ago about the new 2020 and still isn’t on the website. There’s already the 2020 RC-F, yet the 2020 RC is also a big mystery yet likely to be a carryover because of the current redesign.

I’m sure Lexus has a certain “genius” to it’s model refreshes given the obscurities. Just have to ride it out I guess.
Old 08-28-19 | 09:26 PM
GNS
Intermediate

Slow and steady just does not work for the luxury car segment, period. I'm sure Lexus / Toyota can find a way to move faster and inject more sportiness and power while retaining the high build quality and reliability.

We already have a TNGA-N / L platform, a 8 or 10 speed Direct Shift automatic and a twin turbo V6 designed for use with TNGA, among other things. It's all there, just put it all together and go up against the M340i, S4, C43, G70, Q50 RS, CT5-V and TLX Type-S.
Old 08-28-19 | 10:20 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GNS
Slow and steady just does not work for the luxury car segment, period. I'm sure Lexus / Toyota can find a way to move faster and inject more sportiness and power while retaining the high build quality and reliability.

We already have a TNGA-N / L platform, a 8 or 10 speed Direct Shift automatic and a twin turbo V6 designed for use with TNGA, among other things. It's all there, just put it all together and go up against the M340i, S4, C43, G70, Q50 RS, CT5-V and TLX Type-S.

Its not so much performance competition as it is a well
refined vehicle that’s substantial rather than gimmicky. I’d gladly take the is 350 RWD anyway over the m340I as it excels everywhere in comparison except for performance. If your looking for performance bragging rights then get a Mustang GT, Corvette, or Charger.
Old 08-29-19 | 12:03 AM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

refined vehicle that’s substantial rather than gimmicky. I’d gladly take the is 350 RWD anyway over the m340I as it excels everywhere in comparison except for performance. If your looking for performance bragging rights then get a Mustang GT, Corvette, or Charger.
That's a first I have ever heard this, I hope you are joking? Never heard anyone ever say they'd take a IS350 over an M340i... These 2 cars are not even on the same page.
GNS (08-29-19)
Old 08-29-19 | 12:08 AM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Asked my dealer about the 2020 IS before I moved to BMW, and the dealer told me its not going to be a new design... They may be just BS'ing... but that's what they told me.
Old 08-29-19 | 12:46 AM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by premier3IS
That's a first I have ever heard this, I hope you are joking? Never heard anyone ever say they'd take a IS350 over an M340i... These 2 cars are not even on the same page.
Depends what your looking for. IS has been around long before the “M340” or whatever BMW decides to call it nowadays. The 330i dual exhaust is a much cleaner look than the ugly plastic rear on the m340i. At that price point it’s not worth it.

Last edited by FUZCO; 08-29-19 at 12:49 AM.
Old 08-29-19 | 05:01 AM
GNS
Intermediate

M340i is ugly af, I may get some BMW hate here but I loathe the front grille and the fake exhaust.

It is an unfair statement to say that if you want performance, then you're a braggart. You don't want to see Lexus improve the power / performance of the 4IS?
FUZCO (08-29-19)
Old 08-29-19 | 12:13 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Isn't it all relative though. Wanting a car (that you spend money on) that competes well in its market is not about looking for performance bragging rights. Otherwise, couldn't I use that argument against you buying an IS350 vs. a Corolla.. or an 86?

Why get an IS350 and its powerful NA V6.. for performance bragging rights?

The fact is Lexus is a business. Business means you have to sell in a world with competitors.

The B58 rumor may be unlikely but not absurd. Otherwise why didn't Toyota use their own twin turbo V6 in the Supra?

Engineers did an assessment and at the end of the day they chose the B58 for their sports car.

Sup?
Old 08-29-19 | 12:15 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I think a lot of die hards are angry they can't pump their fist at BMW any longer and go BUT LEXOOOS ENGINES. Uh..

Lexus is the one that chose BMW. the very company you are backing and bragging about chose your enemy. So the argument is DOA.

It's just business and there are no fan boys in Corporate Lexus. There's just businessmen! The fan boys are just on forums.
Old 08-29-19 | 01:36 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GNS
M340i is ugly af, I may get some BMW hate here but I loathe the front grille and the fake exhaust.

It is an unfair statement to say that if you want performance, then you're a braggart. You don't want to see Lexus improve the power / performance of the 4IS?
The V6 packs plenty of punch unless you are into drag racing.
Old 08-29-19 | 01:38 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by E46CT
I think a lot of die hards are angry they can't pump their fist at BMW any longer and go BUT LEXOOOS ENGINES. Uh..

Lexus is the one that chose BMW. the very company you are backing and bragging about chose your enemy. So the argument is DOA.

It's just business and there are no fan boys in Corporate Lexus. There's just businessmen! The fan boys are just on forums.

::Confused::
Old 08-29-19 | 01:43 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by premier3IS
Correct. The m340i is an ugly wannabe M3.

Quick Reply: 2020 Updates?