IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New 3IS/IS 250 Owner - What should I expect?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-19, 08:12 PM
Jay3Day
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New 3IS/IS 250 Owner - What should I expect?

Hey everyone!

I recently got a new-to-me 2014 IS 250 Non F-Sport with 37K miles, and even more recently, joined ClubLexus.

I know Lexus/Toyota products in general are very reliable- we have a 20 year old 4Runner still going in the family. Lexus/Toyota products are a family favorite- it's part of the reason why I decided to grab a Lexus. However, I do know in the back of my mind that nothing is completely bulletproof.

That being said, has anyone experienced any major or even ongoing problems with their 3IS? I'm just a tiny bit worried as I know I'm going to be putting a lot of miles on it for the foreseeable future. It drives and handles like a charm- but I know that the 2.5L V6 carried over from the 2IS had carbon build up issues(at least in the 2IS)- did something similar to that carry over to the 3IS?

Thanks for the help/advice!
(PS: Sorry if I'm a little misinformed- I'm still trying to work my way through all there is to ClubLexus )
Old 09-12-19, 11:05 PM
Raghza
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The carbon build up should be fixed on the 3IS.
Overall it's a very reliable car an I don't think of anything you should worry about. Enjoy your new ride!
Old 09-13-19, 05:06 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Welcome to the forum!
I think you will definitely enjoy your new-to-you IS.

There may be a few things to keep an eye on.
If you have Navi...some of the 2014's have experienced issues with it, the radio head unit being the ultimate root cause.
If you have Blind Spot Montioring and/or Clearance Sonar, there is an updated Gateway ECU for batter drain issues.
The Amp...if you all of sudden lose sound from the audio system...the Amp in the trunk is likely the cause...replacement is the fix.
Doors stop locking/unlocking...there's been a number of report door lock actuator failures...not the end of the world...a new actuator, or just the motor within it will fix it right up.
Carbon buildup issue was corrected around 2011, so you're good to go.
Be sure to check tire pressure and alignment...3IS likes to wear the front tires on the inside. Installing the Front Lower Control Arm bushings from the RCF/GSF will assist with minimizing that...and an easy DIY install if you're handy.
The following users liked this post:
luis3is (02-14-24)
Old 09-13-19, 06:28 AM
Jay3Day
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Raghza
The carbon build up should be fixed on the 3IS.
Overall it's a very reliable car an I don't think of anything you should worry about. Enjoy your new ride!

Sounds good, thank you for the reply!
Old 09-13-19, 06:32 AM
Jay3Day
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Welcome to the forum!
I think you will definitely enjoy your new-to-you IS.

There may be a few things to keep an eye on.
If you have Navi...some of the 2014's have experienced issues with it, the radio head unit being the ultimate root cause.
If you have Blind Spot Montioring and/or Clearance Sonar, there is an updated Gateway ECU for batter drain issues.
The Amp...if you all of sudden lose sound from the audio system...the Amp in the trunk is likely the cause...replacement is the fix.
Doors stop locking/unlocking...there's been a number of report door lock actuator failures...not the end of the world...a new actuator, or just the motor within it will fix it right up.
Carbon buildup issue was corrected around 2011, so you're good to go.
Be sure to check tire pressure and alignment...3IS likes to wear the front tires on the inside. Installing the Front Lower Control Arm bushings from the RCF/GSF will assist with minimizing that...and an easy DIY install if you're handy.
Thanks for the response! I'm glad that the Carbon Build up Issue was cleared up, really puts my mind at ease

The door unlock/lock malfunction seems to be a common issue in Toyota/Lexus products... unfortunately.

Pertaining to the Blind Spot Monitoring problem- is there anyway to get that updated Gateway ECU? I bought the car L-Certified (not sure if that makes any difference) so might've been fixed, but seeing as though the service records that came with the car don't have any mention of that, is there a way to check if the Gateway ECU has been updated?

Thanks again!
Old 09-13-19, 07:53 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Welcome! You're right nothing is bulletproof. There are some issues where the 2014 seems to have the most reported cases. See here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-concerns.html
Old 09-13-19, 10:00 AM
Jay3Day
10th Gear

Originally Posted by E46CT
Welcome! You're right nothing is bulletproof. There are some issues where the 2014 seems to have the most reported cases. See here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-concerns.html
Thanks for the link! Seems very informative I'm glad that most of these deal more with non-engine related/mechanical stuff- I feel like that kind of stuff can get pricey.
Old 09-13-19, 02:10 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,660 Posts

If any of that stuff ever goes out, try eBay. Never buy dealer new. You can also send it to an electronics fixing place as i imagine a lot of failures comes down to a single component that costs pennies. like a resistor or failed capacitor or failed solder joint. Dealers make fortunes replacing full units over something that likely costs pennies (component wise)
Old 09-13-19, 07:12 PM
Jay3Day
10th Gear

Originally Posted by E46CT
If any of that stuff ever goes out, try eBay. Never buy dealer new. You can also send it to an electronics fixing place as i imagine a lot of failures comes down to a single component that costs pennies. like a resistor or failed capacitor or failed solder joint. Dealers make fortunes replacing full units over something that likely costs pennies (component wise)
Seems like solid advice. Will most of that stuff on eBay be OEM? I imagine that there would be a lot of off-brand replacements, and as cheap as they are, I could never really fully trust them. Going to a third-party seems like a good idea for the electronics themselves though- installation is something that I could never trust myself to do, I'm not exactly handy lol
Old 09-14-19, 07:51 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay3Day
Seems like solid advice. Will most of that stuff on eBay be OEM? I imagine that there would be a lot of off-brand replacements, and as cheap as they are, I could never really fully trust them. Going to a third-party seems like a good idea for the electronics themselves though- installation is something that I could never trust myself to do, I'm not exactly handy lol
There are some Lexus dealerships who have eBay storefronts that sell OEM parts at discounted prices. I would look for those.
Old 09-14-19, 10:05 AM
Jay3Day
10th Gear

Originally Posted by davyjordi
There are some Lexus dealerships who have eBay storefronts that sell OEM parts at discounted prices. I would look for those.
Sounds good, thanks!
Old 09-14-19, 11:18 AM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

You'll eat thru brakes and rotors, but other than that probably nothing major mechanical wise. I think most of the problems would most likely be electrical if you have any.

All I did in my 3 years of ownership was just replace my vacuum regulator valve, and brakes and rotors. Very sturdy and reliable car. Returned it with 17k miles on it just a few weeks ago.

Congrats on the new car. Lots of well informed people on this forum, you'll be in good hands if you ever need assistance.
Old 09-16-19, 09:48 AM
Jay3Day
10th Gear

Originally Posted by premier3IS
You'll eat thru brakes and rotors, but other than that probably nothing major mechanical wise. I think most of the problems would most likely be electrical if you have any.

All I did in my 3 years of ownership was just replace my vacuum regulator valve, and brakes and rotors. Very sturdy and reliable car. Returned it with 17k miles on it just a few weeks ago.

Congrats on the new car. Lots of well informed people on this forum, you'll be in good hands if you ever need assistance.
That's a welcome insight, and thank you for your congratulations! If you don't mind me asking, what is the vacuum regulator valve for?

Everything aside, it's good to hear that your IS was low maintenance- I'm looking forward to having the car for awhile, and I'm sure that this forum will come in handy should I ever need help
Old 09-28-19, 08:01 AM
athanato
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Is this still an issue with the 2018 AWD?
Old 09-30-19, 12:17 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by athanato
Is this still an issue with the 2018 AWD?
Yes, it is as far as we know. For sure it's an issue with 2016 and earlier. The OE Bridgestone Turanzas are terrible tires, so might as well burn through them... Maybe you could try running those for a few thousand miles and checking the tread depths after? Then you'd know for sure.

Quick Reply: New 3IS/IS 250 Owner - What should I expect?