IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Scraped front bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-19, 04:04 PM
DYH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scraped front bumper?

Husband drove my car up onto the curb basically. NOT happy.

Anyone else have scrapes like this on theirs? Is it even worth my time (and money) to get it fixed?
There’s one section where the plastic is hanging off, but I don’t want to just tear it off because then it leaves a gap.

It’s a 2017 IS200t.
Old 09-22-19, 05:34 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,820 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by DYH

Husband drove my car up onto the curb basically. NOT happy.

Anyone else have scrapes like this on theirs? Is it even worth my time (and money) to get it fixed?
There’s one section where the plastic is hanging off, but I don’t want to just tear it off because then it leaves a gap.

It’s a 2017 IS200t.
Aesthetically, I'd say it's not worth it. I did the same thing as your husband to my own car, making that day a sad day indeed. However, I can't see it unless I crouch down low. Most people would never know it's there.

Can you show the part that's handing off? I'm wondering if it's just the air dam underneath the bumper. You might want to have a body shop fix that. I'm not sure if the dealer would be able to do that. My wife's car had to have a similar piece replaced when she hit a steep incline in the road (bad parking lot entry, I think) and ripped hers off, and we had to go to a body shop.
Old 09-22-19, 05:40 PM
DYH
Driver School Candidate

Here’s the small piece that is hanging off.
Old 09-22-19, 05:47 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by DYH
Here’s the small piece that is hanging off.
Ah... No joke: that is pretty small! I was thinking it was something deeper under the car, so disregard my previous post.

You could try trimming that piece off, sanding that down, and taking some touch up paint to it, if you don't want to be hassled with going to a shop. That bumper will probably see more abuse in the future - just a fact of life if you're going to be driving a lot - so it's probably not worth spending real money on unless it gets really messed-up, for me personally. For rock chips and such, of which I have more than a few, I've just touched those up, which makes a huge difference. From more than 5 feet away, you'd never know anything happened.
The following users liked this post:
IcemanFLL (09-27-19)
Old 09-22-19, 05:51 PM
DYH
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! That makes me feel better. I’m overprotective of the car because it’s my first Lexus and I’ve always wanted one (I sound like a dork, I know). So, it means more to me than a car normally would. I’m sure it had a few dings in it before my husband decided to pretend it was a monster truck, but his stunt certainly didn’t help matters!

I think I’ll cancel the body shop appointment I had scheduled. No sense in getting it all pretty when this kind of stuff will happen regularly.
Old 09-22-19, 05:53 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by DYH
Thanks! That makes me feel better. I’m overprotective of the car because it’s my first Lexus and I’ve always wanted one (I sound like a dork, I know). So, it means more to me than a car normally would. I’m sure it had a few dings in it before my husband decided to pretend it was a monster truck, but his stunt certainly didn’t help matters!

I think I’ll cancel the body shop appointment I had scheduled. No sense in getting it all pretty when this kind of stuff will happen regularly.
Well, if you want to get the estimate, there's certainly no harm in that. In fact, it might help put things into perspective.

Sorry if this seems obvious to you, but in case not... Keep in mind, if you do decide to do paint, you would need to get the full kit - primer, color, and clear-coat, since you're down to the plastic with that scrape.
Old 09-22-19, 05:54 PM
DYH
Driver School Candidate

Not obvious at all, so I appreciate the information! I know very little about that kind of stuff. Thank you! 🙂
Old 09-22-19, 09:17 PM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I am meticulous with my IS. Went up a steep driveway apron.
Looked innocent. Totally unexpected damage, $1500 new bumper.

I will I’ll be more careful.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...er-damage.html
Old 09-23-19, 10:26 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

You definitely don't want to see the underside of my front bumper. Bought it with scrapes, added a few myself. Car is lowered and sometimes no matter how hard I try it rubs on driveways. I'll even backup and find another entrance/exit when I can.
My more noticeable ones I just filled in with touch up paint.
Old 09-23-19, 11:25 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

I always park in reverse because of this (doesn't help I'm lowered). I've had my IS for almost 2 years now and I have accidentally kissed a curb because of the VERY few times I have parked forward (thank god for PPF as it took the damage instead of my actual bumper lip). I hate parking facing forward, but sometimes I have to if I'm going to be putting lots of stuff in the trunk. Just tell your husband to park in reverse or what not, it's literally a habit for me. I feel weird parking any other way.
Old 09-24-19, 03:46 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm lowered, too, and I scrape on just about everything. From the front the bumper looks normal, but underneath it's all scraped up. I installed a front-view camera when I lowered it to avoid running into curbs and such when parking so that I don't ruin the bumper aesthetically. So far, so good.
Old 09-24-19, 07:45 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,197 Likes on 1,647 Posts

It's such a low and invisible part of the car. And an easy color to work with. I'd probably sand down the rough spots super smooth 400 grit then 600 grit. Maybe even 200 grit on some rough areas to start with. Then lay a quick layer of base (you can order your color code of paint in a spray can) and 2k clear coat. overlap to the outside and tape up what you don't want painted though be careful with tape lines. you can fix that under $100 easily and it'll look 90%. 2k clear requires a special respirator for $40 or so. it'll make a fun project.
Old 09-24-19, 07:48 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

also if you want a really quick fix just to make it look somewhat better, you can always clean it up real good and touch it up with touch up paint.

the amount of quality you want will depend on how much time and money you want to spend.

somewhat better =$15

a lot better, almost new=$100 + 2 hours of your time

New=refinish and repaint at a shop=$400-600 or so
The following users liked this post:
IcemanFLL (09-27-19)
Old 09-24-19, 09:02 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Asking your husband to reverse into parking spaces is a good idea.
I know where the front of my car is within 2 inches or so and drove as a youngster with a car about 2in off the ground so I'm as prepared as can be....it still happens.

I plan to one day change the front bumper which can be done under $1000 I believe. Repaint further down the line for $500 or so is also an option.

To me it's normal wear/tear you can try to avoid but it's due to happen to any daily driver.
Old 09-24-19, 03:40 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

ya i used to be really **** about bumpers in my young kid car days. I'd go 2mph, angle and everything. now i really dgaf. i strike curbs and go oh well. it's just a car. no sense in worrying so much about something that's bound to get chewed up a bit. it's a car. let it do car things. (within reason)

Quick Reply: Scraped front bumper?