IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Solution to F Sport Tire excessive edge wear

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-19, 07:49 PM
Jazzkanda6
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Solution to F Sport Tire excessive edge wear

Dealer has recommended flipping all 4 of the tires backwards to even out the outer edge wear. Anyone every done this or think it's safe to do? 30,000km OEM rubber and already worn edges

Last edited by Jazzkanda6; 09-25-19 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-23-19, 09:54 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Good question. If it's not a directional tire than I can't imagine why not. Maybe I'm wrong though. If it were that easy feel like I'd hear about the option far more often...most cars wear inside edge before outside so many cars would benefit from a flip like that if it were safe to do.

Of course wouldn't wait until tread was gone on the inside edge because it's needed even more on outter edge, then it'd be unsafe forsure. But to sort of "rotate/flip" to extend tire life, might be a good idea.
Old 09-23-19, 11:36 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

I know my Michelins have a "outside" label on the part of the tire that is supposed to be on the outside, but they aren't directional. I think even if they are not directional, the tire is still designed a certain way so that the outside has certain details engineered into them versus the inside of the tire. I was wondering the same thing about flipping it, but it seems it's not something that is done often so idk that it is safe or not.
Old 09-24-19, 07:35 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,628 Posts

If the tire says "outside" on it, then you probably shouldn't. I haven't really seen any modern performance tire that isn't directional. The cost to flip and rebalance and remount anyway would substantially eat into the cost of two new Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s so you may as well get new tires and maybe a set of GSF bushings at that point. No point in riding on tires with worn edges, especially if the worn edge is on the outside where you need it for cornering and its most susceptible to popping under load/stress/heat
Old 09-24-19, 09:41 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,790 Likes on 1,924 Posts

I don't view it as a "solution", but a Band-Aid, if you will. The only real solutions are to switch to firmer front lower control arm bushings, like the GS F bushings, or an aftermarket set like FIGS. For whatever it's worth, I've also switched to having some slight toe-in at the front on my alignment, and that's also seeming to keep the inner wear under control. Last time I measured, the inner parts of the front tires were maybe half of 1/32" different from the middle and outer part of the tire, with about 7/32" remaining all around. And, it was only on the front-right tire - the front-left actually had slightly more wear in the middle of the tire (again, less than 1/32") rather than on the inside or out. So, my oddball alignment fix notwithstanding, you probably will have to get bushings.
Old 09-24-19, 10:38 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by E46CT
If the tire says "outside" on it, then you probably shouldn't. I haven't really seen any modern performance tire that isn't directional. The cost to flip and rebalance and remount anyway would substantially eat into the cost of two new Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s so you may as well get new tires and maybe a set of GSF bushings at that point. No point in riding on tires with worn edges, especially if the worn edge is on the outside where you need it for cornering and its most susceptible to popping under load/stress/heat
Happened to just install those same tires all around a couple weeks ago and bushings shipped yesterday from Japan.

It's true the cost of the potential fix or band aid would be about almost the cost of 1 front tire.
Old 09-24-19, 07:11 PM
Jazzkanda6
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
I know my Michelins have a "outside" label on the part of the tire that is supposed to be on the outside, but they aren't directional. I think even if they are not directional, the tire is still designed a certain way so that the outside has certain details engineered into them versus the inside of the tire. I was wondering the same thing about flipping it, but it seems it's not something that is done often so idk that it is safe or not.
Lexus dealer also mentioned inflating the tires to 40psi will help as well. It's a shame e need to spend all this extra money to get around a major inconvenience
Old 09-25-19, 02:27 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazzkanda6
Lexus dealer also mentioned inflating the tires to 40psi will help as well. It's a shame e need to spend all this extra money to get around a major inconvenience
I honestly doubt the dealership knows wth they are talking about in this regard. Lol The honest truth is that without Poly LCA bushings there is no getting around the inner tire wear. The RCF/GSF bushings (which I have installed) will help a little, but not eliminate the issue. People who just do a lot of highway driving would also avoid the issue as the bulk of the inner tire wear is from turns and braking.
The following users liked this post:
igetit14is (09-25-19)
Old 09-25-19, 05:07 AM
Hondabuff
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

You can not fix the inner tire wear without replacing the LCA bushings. I have close to 30k miles on my 2G IS350 running Michelin Pilot A/S3+ and the look new still. I previously went through 2 sets of Pilot sports and each set had a ton of tread left but was down to the cords on the inner edges after 12k miles. The IS suspension was designed for dynamic toe to give it the quick responsive steering but the byproduct is eating the toe of the front tires. I have the Figs LCA bushings on mine.
Old 09-25-19, 06:23 AM
bgross88
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

At the risk of hijacking this thread, can someone point me to a website/part numbers for the RCF/GSF bushings? Recently bought a 2016 IS 300 and I'd like to do this upgrade. I've read a lot of the threads about the benefits, but am a bit confused as to where I can purchase them.

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-25-19, 08:52 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by bgross88
At the risk of hijacking this thread, can someone point me to a website/part numbers for the RCF/GSF bushings? Recently bought a 2016 IS 300 and I'd like to do this upgrade. I've read a lot of the threads about the benefits, but am a bit confused as to where I can purchase them.

Thanks for the help!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present/914519-installed-rcf-gsf-
bushings.html

I got mine from mega zip
bgross88 (09-25-19)
Old 09-25-19, 09:10 AM
bgross88
Pit Crew

Thanks, Homer...one last question. I checked out mega zip, and used the following part numbers, which are included in the thread/link you provided. Are these correct? When I enter them on mega zip's website, they say they fit Lexus GS and Lexus RC, no mention of the IS. Just making sure I get the right ones, before I order. Apologies for the multiple questions; new to the IS world and trying to get a handle on things.

48075-24010
48076-24010
Old 09-25-19, 09:27 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,790 Likes on 1,924 Posts

Thanks, Homer...one last question. I checked out mega zip, and used the following part numbers, which are included in the thread/link you provided. Are these correct? When I enter them on mega zip's website, they say they fit Lexus GS and Lexus RC, no mention of the IS. Just making sure I get the right ones, before I order. Apologies for the multiple questions; new to the IS world and trying to get a handle on things.

48075-24010
48076-24010
They are designed for the GS F and RC F, and obviously there is no IS F. However, they will fit.
bgross88 (09-25-19)
Old 09-25-19, 09:32 AM
bgross88
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by arentz07
They are designed for the GS F and RC F, and obviously there is no IS F. However, they will fit.
Duh....makes sense....thanks for clarifying. Appreciate the help.
Old 09-25-19, 12:22 PM
igetit14is
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the help!
https://www.rr-racing.com/Lexus-Lowe...isfxlca001.htm

I have 21k on my Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S's and the inside edge and outside edge are even after beating the crap out of them in Santa Cruz mountains daily on my commute.
I installed the and set the toe to the middle of Lexus spec range and wala, I run my PSI @ 36 cold
bgross88 (09-26-19)

Quick Reply: Solution to F Sport Tire excessive edge wear