IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Confused with Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-19 | 02:17 PM
tiredking
Driver School Candidate

Default Confused with Tires

So I have a 2016 IS200t F sport and was just confused about replacing my tires. I was looking through previous threads and saw that the Michelin Pilot Super Sport was recommended for this exact same model, but when I check websites (tirerack and michelin), it says they aren't compatible with the vehicle. However, when I check Costco, it says it does. I was just a little confused about this and just wanted to replace my stock Turanza ER33 tires. Anybody know if the MPSS are the same size as the OEM tires?
Old 09-24-19 | 02:32 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

The MPSS can be purchased in the same sizes as the OEM sizes for the 200t F Sport.
On Tirerack when you look for tires By Vehicle, they don't show for the IS.
If you look them up By Size, and use the front and rear sizes of the F Sport, they also don't show up.
If you look them up individually then you can find both the front and rear tire sizes that you need.
The Load Rating and Speed rating are the same for other recommended brands, even with Michelin.
I think the biggest difference is the Tread wear...the "recommended" tires for the IS on Tirerack have a high Tread wear rating...300...500...etc.
The MPSS only have a 220 rating...so they won't last long at all, or at least by comparison to the recommended tires.

Have you tried Firehawk Indy 500 tires...I'm sure someone will recommend them here.
Old 09-24-19 | 02:35 PM
arentz07

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
The MPSS can be purchased in the same sizes as the OEM sizes for the 200t F Sport.
On Tirerack when you look for tires By Vehicle, they don't show for the IS.
If you look them up By Size, and use the front and rear sizes of the F Sport, they also don't show up.
If you look them up individually then you can find both the front and rear tire sizes that you need.
The Load Rating and Speed rating are the same for other recommended brands, even with Michelin.
I think the biggest difference is the Tread wear...the "recommended" tires for the IS on Tirerack have a high Tread wear rating...300...500...etc.
The MPSS only have a 220 rating...so they won't last long at all, or at least by comparison to the recommended tires.

Have you tried Firehawk Indy 500 tires...I'm sure someone will recommend them here.
+1, you can get the tires in our size. Not sure why Tire Rack is making the editorial decision of not listing them as "recommended".

Also, +1 for the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. A friend has them on his IS 350 RWD and loves them. I also took a test drive in the car and found them to be both quieter than my BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2s as well as equally responsive. Nice tire.
Old 09-24-19 | 03:37 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

MPSS is great but way too expensive for this car. You'll go through them like butter. Every 12-15k on this car, you will need new front tires and new front brakes. This car is extremely aggressive on both, particularly on f sport, particularly on summer rubber.

Get the Firehawk 500s before they discontinue. after that, 3IS owners are in a world of hurt. hope another manufacturer will step up and create a good tire value like the Firehawks. They are extreme in their capability...
Old 09-24-19 | 04:29 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Been driving on Firehawk indys for a couple weeks now.

Very quiet, extra sticky, and paid $522 for all 4 out the door. Reviews don't get any better, neither does the price.

Don't know that's what you want in any climate but our southern California rains are not much of a threat.