IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus IS Regret?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-19, 06:21 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,718 Likes on 1,894 Posts

Originally Posted by premier3IS
I had the pleasure of riding in @mjeds RC-F a while back ago, and I must say the car is extremely comfortable and..... pretty quick lol. The interior feels just like the IS, but the power is on another level

He did have some fun flooring it at one point lol and the tires spun out just like you mentioned, but they locked right back on and caused absolutely no issues. The RC-F is many times compared to the BMW M4, but the 2 are in no direct competition with each other from what I've seen and heard. Great car nonetheless

You in the market to purchase one now? What about the IS lease you still have?
I had been considering one, but, I'm thinking that just because I can buy one doesn't mean I should. I was really impressed with the car, but I am not sure it makes sense right now. There will always be another car like it that I am wanting, so I am thinking for now of getting something a little easier to run/own.

Currently talking to the same dealer about transferring a 2016 IS 350 F Sport. It's Ultrasonic Blue and has only 20,000 miles, and hey, it's actually RWD this time! I've driven an IS 350 RWD before, so I already know what to expect. Hoping it'll work out. I really like the color and overall idea of this car. I could see myself continuing to drive an IS for the next few years and being happy - just, preferably RWD lol.
Old 03-27-20, 10:10 AM
momak
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

coming from a 2003 honda accord 2.4 lx, i have the same year and model as you do and am still in love
Old 03-27-20, 11:29 AM
kaleo211
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

When I first time met a black IS in the parking lot behind the library when I was in school, I know this is the car I want to buy simply because of the aggressive looking. 5 years later, I bought a white IS and still in love with it! One thing that occasionally bothers me is that there is a noticeable delay between pressing down the shifting paddle and the actual shifting.
Old 03-27-20, 01:58 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Only regret is BLACK. Why did I buy a black Lexus. Because I was in love with black on black since the 90s lol.

Clear coat scratches like butter.
Old 03-28-20, 05:02 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

i had regrets as early as a few days after I bought my wrecked car's replacement which was just like a week ago in that I had bought a car so late into the generation when it's due for a complete redesign relatively soon. The BMW M240i keeps popping into my head to haunt me!

i also regretted perhaps getting the 2.0l I4 instead of the 3.5l V6, but I didn't want the extra markup the dealerships were asking for the V6 over the I4 -- the bro tax is a bit much when dealing with CPOed vehicles, not so much when buying new, but CPOed for sure, and I didn't want to buy new as my old 2014 IS 250 F Sport was modified tastefully to my liking and was fully paid off. I just didn't feel like financing more than I needed to given what the insurance company (Geico) had given me to get back into essentially the same car, despite the drivetrain being different. A few bonuses, the addition of nicer interior materials, the larger navigation/infotainment screen, the suite of safety features standard, and the newer, more powerful drivetrain, even if not quite as refined nor as quiet as the 2.5l V6 found in the 250. Also, the CPO bumper-to-bumper warranty lasting well into the year 2026.

But the damn M240i keeps popping into my head! With an extended warranty, that would have been a cool car to own despite the steep depreciation curve.
Old 03-28-20, 06:31 AM
Nguyenerr
Driver

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Only regret is BLACK. Why did I buy a black Lexus. Because I was in love with black on black since the 90s lol.

My IS is also black. But I ended up with going with the Caviar cause the color slightly hides the swirls. I also had my car ceramic coated to sorta help.

On some days I do feel like I regret getting my IS because of the horrible MPG. (IS350F AWD) I wish the gas tank was larger so I wouldn't have to fill up at the gas station 1-2 times a week.
Old 03-28-20, 09:17 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Nguyenerr
My IS is also black. But I ended up with going with the Caviar cause the color slightly hides the swirls. I also had my car ceramic coated to sorta help.

On some days I do feel like I regret getting my IS because of the horrible MPG. (IS350F AWD) I wish the gas tank was larger so I wouldn't have to fill up at the gas station 1-2 times a week.
I was getting 18mpg with my driving "style" and that was about $300 a month of fuel. I've saved a boatload of cash going electric The one thing I regretted was not getting XPEL. My bumper looked like it got hit by a shotgun. I have XPEL now on my current car and it still look s fabulous in the front. HIGHLY recommended if you are OCD
Old 03-28-20, 09:32 AM
Nguyenerr
Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
I was getting 18mpg with my driving "style" and that was about $300 a month of fuel. I've saved a boatload of cash going electric The one thing I regretted was not getting XPEL. My bumper looked like it got hit by a shotgun. I have XPEL now on my current car and it still look s fabulous in the front. HIGHLY recommended if you are OCD
Yup thats where I am at right now too. I do have a little bit of OCD so I actually got my front wrapped with Suntek PPF the day I bought my car! Totally worth it because AZ has a lot of rocks on the road.
Old 03-28-20, 10:08 AM
m0chafrap
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i had regrets as early as a few days after I bought my wrecked car's replacement which was just like a week ago in that I had bought a car so late into the generation when it's due for a complete redesign relatively soon. The BMW M240i keeps popping into my head to haunt me!

i also regretted perhaps getting the 2.0l I4 instead of the 3.5l V6, but I didn't want the extra markup the dealerships were asking for the V6 over the I4 -- the bro tax is a bit much when dealing with CPOed vehicles, not so much when buying new, but CPOed for sure, and I didn't want to buy new as my old 2014 IS 250 F Sport was modified tastefully to my liking and was fully paid off. I just didn't feel like financing more than I needed to given what the insurance company (Geico) had given me to get back into essentially the same car, despite the drivetrain being different. A few bonuses, the addition of nicer interior materials, the larger navigation/infotainment screen, the suite of safety features standard, and the newer, more powerful drivetrain, even if not quite as refined nor as quiet as the 2.5l V6 found in the 250. Also, the CPO bumper-to-bumper warranty lasting well into the year 2026.

But the damn M240i keeps popping into my head! With an extended warranty, that would have been a cool car to own despite the steep depreciation curve.

Haha, I also find myself checking the BMW CPO listings for the M240I (LCI specifically). The B58 and the ZF8 are a very well paired drivetrain combo!

I get bored of my 200t when driving around in normal commuting and LA traffic but when I take it on the canyon roads, I always fall back in love with it. Takes to the curves very nicely and the turbo is very fun in the higher rev range.
The following users liked this post:
davyjordi (03-28-20)
Old 03-30-20, 10:09 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,718 Likes on 1,894 Posts

Originally Posted by m0chafrap
Haha, I also find myself checking the BMW CPO listings for the M240I (LCI specifically). The B58 and the ZF8 are a very well paired drivetrain combo!

I get bored of my 200t when driving around in normal commuting and LA traffic but when I take it on the canyon roads, I always fall back in love with it. Takes to the curves very nicely and the turbo is very fun in the higher rev range.
I drove an M235i and was underwhelmed. Fun car, but it really shouldn't have an "M" in its name. Maybe the 40i version will be better, if anything because it will have the B58 engine. It was fun but not really sporty - would make a good daily. I think if you got a decent tune for it, it could wake up.

After switching to the GTI I honestly have no regrets... yet. And I don't regret owning my IS either. It was fantastic. I think I really just wanted something a bit more agile and better on fuel, while remaining equally quick as my IS 300 AWD - which is exactly what the GTI is.

Last edited by arentz07; 03-31-20 at 11:16 AM. Reason: photo
Old 03-30-20, 06:16 PM
ALLBLCK604
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

A buddy I work with has a 2016 3 series. He said my 2014 350 f sport is nicer in every way. My dad has a 2017 a4 s line and he said my car is nicer. Buddy with a Beamer is a total car guy like most of us. On the side he even has a mobile tire service. And my dad is pretty much the opposite. So just to put how nice the IS is in perspective. And as far as compared to Toyota. Even a brand new Avalon isn’t nearly as refined as our cars. I just sat in one in the show room. The interior felt cheap and inferior to ours. The buttons, the materials. Everything about the Lexus is nicer. Only thing those cars have that I wish the IS had, was a DCT or at least the sport direct shift. I have the AWD.
Old 03-31-20, 06:17 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by ALLBLCK604
A buddy I work with has a 2016 3 series. He said my 2014 350 f sport is nicer in every way. My dad has a 2017 a4 s line and he said my car is nicer. Buddy with a Beamer is a total car guy like most of us. On the side he even has a mobile tire service. And my dad is pretty much the opposite. So just to put how nice the IS is in perspective. And as far as compared to Toyota. Even a brand new Avalon isn’t nearly as refined as our cars. I just sat in one in the show room. The interior felt cheap and inferior to ours. The buttons, the materials. Everything about the Lexus is nicer. Only thing those cars have that I wish the IS had, was a DCT or at least the sport direct shift. I have the AWD.
I dunno about that. I mean, the 2020 IS compared to the 2020 A4/S4 or even the aging C-Class have interiors that are much better not only in my opinion, but in the auto journalists' opinions as well. Then you have start-ups like Genesis with the G70 with absolutely beautiful interiors on their upper trim variants. And all of that is just talking about the interior quality, fit and finish, and materials used, tech included. The performance is another topic altogether where Lexus lags behind.

Not to talk shiz on Lexus because I just bought a second 3IS after mine was totaled, because I really do like the car and I know that that vehicle will not leave me stranded or give me costly repair bill headaches right after the warranty is up. Toyota/Lexus does a phenomenal job on the reliability/dependability front and that's one of their main selling points.
Old 03-31-20, 11:20 AM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

One thing I agree with is that NO cheaper car should be more well equipped than a "high end" car that cost more. One place Lexus failed. My '06 Acura TL had memory seats standard. Lexus "luxury" package... lol. I thought Lexus was already "luxury"??!?? lololol
Old 03-31-20, 03:11 PM
RSFSPORT
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No regrets with the car thus far. It's been worry free driving. Slight regret getting the car in black...super hard to take care of and should have gone with our initial white with red interior.
Old 03-31-20, 06:47 PM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350

Black paint scratches easy, but also heals easy

Quick Reply: Lexus IS Regret?