IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus IS Regret?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-20, 09:50 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Well firstly, it sounds like luxury & creature comforts is more important to you, and less important is road worthiness & driving pleasure. My primary objective was the latter, and performance, so got the most powerful of the IS lot - 350 FSport RWD - with the understanding that some standard luxury features would sacrifice, but at the same time better quality, reliability, & longevity than BMW.

Secondly, almost all of the other cars you mentioned are (run of the mill) FWD - albeit all good cars - but not the greatest wrt performance, so it seems like there's some unbalance in the OP.

Like you I also did lotsa research beforehand and there's not as much remorse (wrt road worthiness & driving pleasure & performance) but you have to get the IS350 FSport RWD. Including luxury features & creature comforts, if you want a "driver's/performance/sports car" - whatever brand/model that may be - ALWAYS get RWD, regardless of torque and HP. I already had/have one RWD - a Lexus GS300. When I was recently in the market again for a new car my search started with EVERY brand/model RWD I could find, and everything else was secondary. I had a TINY BIT of remorse when the newer Camry was released, but again, it's FWD (maybe AWD in northern states & Canada).

Last edited by LaZeR; 04-02-20 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-01-20, 01:52 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
Well firstly, it sounds like luxury & creature comforts is more important to you, and less important is road worthiness & driving pleasure. My primary objective was the latter, and performance, hence the most powerful of the IS lot - 350 FSport RWD - with the understanding that some standard luxury features would sacrifice, but at the same time better quality, reliability, & longevity than BMW. Secondly, almost all of the other cars you mentioned are (run of the mill) FWD - albeit all good cars - but not the greatest wrt performance, so it seems like there's some unbalance in the OP.

Like you I also did lotsa research beforehand and there's not as much remorse (wrt road worthiness & driving pleasure & performance) but you have to get the IS350 FSport RWD. Regardless of luxury features & creature comforts, if you want a "driver's/performance/sports car" - whatever brand/model that may be - ALWAYS get RWD, regardless of torque and HP.
If you live in a northern climate where winters are harsh and heavy snow is experienced, then AWD would be preferable not only for performance, but also for resale value.

Last edited by davyjordi; 04-01-20 at 11:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (04-01-20)
Old 04-01-20, 07:54 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by EvilJoker
Black paint scratches easy, but also heals easy
idk if I can agree with you but I get your point I think. No matter how clean the car is or waxes, if you touch it with ANY towel you can see the scratches reoccurring. Literally paint corrected, polished, waxed, and the final light buffing was scratching it moments later.

And theres not enough clear coat to begin with so we only have so much correction we can do, says my detail guy. He said with German cars he can really lay into it and knows he has plenty of clear coat to dig into, not so with the Japanese cars. I believe him.
Old 04-01-20, 02:16 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

... Regardless of luxury features & creature comforts, if you want a "driver's/performance/sports car" - whatever brand/model that may be - ALWAYS get RWD, regardless of torque and HP.
Originally Posted by davyjordi
If you live in a northern climate where winters are harsh and heavy snow is experienced, then AWD would be preferable not only for performance, but also for resale value.
Well, in those northern climates that you speak of, in spring & summer months RWD is not an issue of course, and during snow &/or ice seasons winter tires are a no brainer affording better driving performance than AWD (IMO anyway).

As for resale value, RWD models are rare and hard to find in northern states, and especially more so in Canada where most manufacturers and especially Lexus offers ONLY AWD & FWD. There are hardly any newer generation IS & GS with RWD in Canada, and they're rare in northern states like Michigan, Minnesota, Washington, etc. Northern buyers are hard up for RWD and pay a lot, or even travel south, to buy an IS or GS in RWD (again IMO).

Last edited by LaZeR; 04-02-20 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-01-20, 02:31 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,958 Posts

Well, in those northern climates that you speak of, in spring & summer months, OR during times when there's NO snow or ice, RWD affords better driving performance than AWD (IMO anyway).

As for resale value, RWD models are rare and hard to find in northern states, and especially more so in Canada where most manufacturers and especially Lexus offer ONLY AWD & FWD. There are hardly any newer generation IS & GS with RWD in Canada, and they're rare in northern states like Michigan, Minnesota, Washington, etc. Northern buyers are hard up for RWD and pay a lot, or even travel south, to buy an IS or GS in RWD (again IMO).
They're rare and hard to find, but they will also likely be hard to sell to people who live in climates that get snow. I have a co-worker who's shopping for a car and considering the IS. He seems to want something that's a lot of fun, but I can't convince him to go for a RWD IS. He says AWD is a requirement, even though we don't typically get a ton of snow here in KC. Case in point.
davyjordi (04-01-20)
Old 04-01-20, 03:05 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by arentz07
... He says AWD is a requirement, even though we don't typically get a ton of snow here in KC.
Major towns in southern Ontario & BC, and northern New York state, also don't get tons of snow, even if they do it doesn't last very long, and with a set snow tires it's a no brainer. But all of this applies more so if you really want, and ONLY want RWD, like me!! On a related note, it's not only performance related, AWD adds more: mechanism, weight (sometimes several hundred pounds), and (new car) cost $$$$.

Last edited by LaZeR; 04-01-20 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-01-20, 10:37 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 239 Posts

It was pretty clear to me that the buyer will only consider AWD cars, i.e. it is his personal requirement of the car he buys.
davyjordi (04-02-20)
Old 04-02-20, 07:18 AM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

i own an is 250 non f sport (the least desirable IS) and i have no regrets.. best car i drove and all the ladies are always impressed
LaZeR (04-02-20)
Old 04-02-20, 09:21 AM
stbiss
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I own a 2014 IS250 - first Lexus and best car I have ever owned - no regrets at all - zilch, nada, zero, none......
The following 2 users liked this post by stbiss:
LaZeR (04-02-20), swaangin (04-02-20)
Old 04-02-20, 03:05 PM
texag2246
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stbiss
I own a 2014 IS250 - first Lexus and best car I have ever owned - no regrets at all - zilch, nada, zero, none......
Great to hear. I just may be getting a 2014 250 F Sport in the next week or so
The following 5 users liked this post by texag2246:
arentz07 (04-02-20), davyjordi (04-03-20), LaZeR (04-02-20), m1919 (04-03-20), swaangin (04-02-20)
Old 04-03-20, 05:05 AM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by texag2246
Great to hear. I just may be getting a 2014 250 F Sport in the next week or so
Ok, just be sure to not test drive a 350, or you might change your mind. (I did.)
Old 04-03-20, 05:40 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Ok, just be sure to not test drive a 350, or you might change your mind. (I did.)
while that may be true, his wallet may not be in alignment with his emotional perception of the two cars. while new, the price difference may not be very much, but 350s on the used market command a much higher price tag than the 250s or even the 200t/300s.
Old 04-03-20, 04:35 PM
mopudding
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Major towns in southern Ontario & BC, and northern New York state, also don't get tons of snow, even if they do it doesn't last very long, and with a set snow tires it's a no brainer. But all of this applies more so if you really want, and ONLY want RWD, like me!! On a related note, it's not only performance related, AWD adds more: mechanism, weight (sometimes several hundred pounds), and (new car) cost $$$$.
Living in Vancouver, RWD's are like hitting gold. I searched for a while to get mine and having driven the AWD version several times, I would never give up my RWD! The 8 speed is silky smooth and it drives like a dream.
LaZeR (04-03-20)
Old 04-03-20, 04:51 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by mopudding
Living in Vancouver, RWD's are like hitting gold. I searched for a while to get mine and having driven the AWD version several times, I would never give up my RWD! The 8 speed is silky smooth and it drives like a dream.
hahaha point proved! You got the IS350 FSport? And what Year? Depending on the year was it "originally shipped" much further south? Don't think any Lexus Dealers in Canada get new RWD IS, GS, etc.

Last edited by LaZeR; 04-03-20 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-03-20, 10:46 PM
mopudding
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

hahaha point proved! You got the IS350 FSport? And what Year? Depending on the year was it "originally shipped" much further south? Don't think any Lexus Dealers in Canada get new RWD IS, GS, etc.
It's a 2014 originally from Vancouver. Only has 76k kms. It's like new 🙂

Quick Reply: Lexus IS Regret?