IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus IS Regret?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-20, 08:14 AM
budman1
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

We had a 2015 IS 350 FSport AWD and now have a 2018 IS 300 AWD FSport. No regrets here.

We've owned BMWs and Audis in the past. They were fun cars, but tended to be in the shop quite often. Nothing beats Lexus reliability!
The following users liked this post:
LaZeR (04-04-20)
Old 04-04-20, 12:17 PM
enkrypt3d
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

if you like a car, who gives a **** what some reviewer says about it? Seriously. I love my 3IS F sport and wouldn't sell it for just about anything.
Old 04-04-20, 02:00 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by budman1
We had a 2015 IS 350 FSport AWD and now have a 2018 IS 300 AWD FSport. No regrets here. We've owned BMWs and Audis in the past. They were fun cars, but tended to be in the shop quite often. Nothing beats Lexus reliability!
Sounds like you always lease eh?
Old 04-04-20, 08:32 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by enkrypt3d
if you like a car, who gives a **** what some reviewer says about it?
I literally do TONS of review & research before buying a car.
Old 04-05-20, 09:48 AM
Restomod
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Zero regrets after 7months.

I've owned various German sedans and coupes over the last 20years and feel I have enough experience to compare.

Old 04-05-20, 11:00 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Love my 350 FSport just wish it was a bit faster
Old 04-05-20, 11:46 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
Major towns in southern Ontario & BC, and northern New York state, also don't get tons of snow, even if they do it doesn't last very long, and with a set snow tires it's a no brainer. But all of this applies more so if you really want, and ONLY want RWD, like me!! On a related note, it's not only performance related, AWD adds more: mechanism, weight (sometimes several hundred pounds), and (new car) cost $$$$.
generally you are correct that RWD is “better”
But in the case of our cars...

-Fastest 3rd gen IS is the 350 AWD, tested as low as 5.3 0-60 with a 13.9 quarter mile compare to RWD doing a 5.5 with a 14.0 quarter mile. Now that’s on dry pavement, factor in snow, rain/wet roads, some sand/gravel etc and the AWD beats it even more.

- 350 AWD curb weight is 3737 pounds vs 3593 for RWD...only a 144 lb difference.

- AWD Lexus system in our 3rd gens is full time AWD with 70% of power going to the rear wheels. Meaning the rears get almost 2.5x more power than the fronts. Power can be split 50/50 when slipping. Both understeer at limit.

- RWD has a much better 8 speed tranny vs the 6 speed...Except 0-60 gearing where 8 speed needs 2 shifts to hit 60 where as AWD only needs 1.
- About 1mpg better fuel economy for RWD.
-RWD Would have more WHP than AWD+weighs less so has a better top end speed after 100mph or so.
-handing is 0.86g of lateral acceleration for RWD vs 0.85g for AWD.
-RWD can get VGRS option...variable gear ratio steering.

Realistically, being that our cars aren’t a true performance sports sedan most ppl buying one are not going to push them to the limits. in terms of almost every metric they are damn near identical.

For me, in a part of Canada that sees insane amounts of snow AWD was a no brainer.

Only BIG differences would be rain/snow traction which depending on where u live may not even be a factor.
Ultimately if you live in a place that gets real snowfalls, like apocalyptic blizzards where I live your better off getting AWD. If you live in Cali or places that don’t see snow, or have very minimal snow RWD would be the better choice.

either way anyone with a 350 has a great car.
The following 5 users liked this post by NickCaesar:
davyjordi (04-05-20), FreshIS (04-07-20), GNS (08-09-21), kj07xk (04-05-20), LaZeR (04-05-20)
Old 08-07-21, 07:07 AM
AquaMayne
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

My ONLY regret is not worrying about the AWD drivers floor hump, it drives me absolutely nuts!! I love everything about the car except that dam HUMP!! Honestly Lexus really F'kd up leaving that hump there for us left side drivers, it really destroys the cars desirability for me, and I will be a little sad, but mostly glad when i get rid of it in a couple years. I would keep this car forever if it didnt have that damn hump, and I had really planned to until i realized this hump was going to ruin the car for me. I know they have RWD but I need an AWD, and sadly the IS & GS are the only V6 awd sedans available that are newer out of Lexus/Toyota & Honda/Acura. I may try the TLX Type-S since its v6 awd, but it has a turbo & im not very fond of them tbh.
The following 2 users liked this post by AquaMayne:
dteskmo (08-07-21), GrizzlyMan (08-07-21)
Old 08-07-21, 12:56 PM
GrizzlyMan
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

If Lexus managed to fit a V8, they can manage to have alternate platforms.

To me V8 is too much, it would be perfect a V6 4.0 on the engine bay

To keep the same 350 yr after yr is lame, and then keep adding weight. It somewhat suffers from the same power issue as the RX8, well it was worst as they removed boost.
Old 08-07-21, 06:29 PM
Napalvr
Advanced

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by AquaMayne
My ONLY regret is not worrying about the AWD drivers floor hump, it drives me absolutely nuts!! I love everything about the car except that dam HUMP!! Honestly Lexus really F'kd up leaving that hump there for us left side drivers, it really destroys the cars desirability for me, and I will be a little sad, but mostly glad when i get rid of it in a couple years. I would keep this car forever if it didnt have that damn hump, and I had really planned to until i realized this hump was going to ruin the car for me. I know they have RWD but I need an AWD, and sadly the IS & GS are the only V6 awd sedans available that are newer out of Lexus/Toyota & Honda/Acura. I may try the TLX Type-S since its v6 awd, but it has a turbo & im not very fond of them tbh.
Ive had my 2015 AWD since new and barely notice the hump. My comfort zone keeps me away from it I guess. Definitely not a deterrent from buying it
AquaMayne (08-08-21)
Old 08-07-21, 06:50 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 162 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by Jazzrock:
AquaMayne (09-07-21), Racer00J (08-08-21)
Old 08-08-21, 01:21 AM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

I'm 5'11" and my leg has never touched the hump ever
AquaMayne (08-08-21)
Old 08-08-21, 10:18 AM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by swaangin
I'm 5'11" and my leg has never touched the hump ever
5’10” and I noticed the hump immediately when I test drove a couple cars, and wondered if it would bother me long term, but it ticked all the boxes in what I was looking for, so pulled the trigger. After I got my car, and fine tuned the seat position for comfort, I’ve never noticed the hump in this car.
The following 2 users liked this post by kj07xk:
AquaMayne (08-08-21), Racer00J (08-08-21)
Old 08-08-21, 10:51 AM
AquaMayne
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Napalvr
Ive had my 2015 AWD since new and barely notice the hump. My comfort zone keeps me away from it I guess. Definitely not a deterrent from buying it
Its not necessarily the hump in a way, its what the hump forces your ankle/foot to do. You either have to have your entire foot on the pedal, or if you bring your foot down the pedal at all you are forced to angle your foot around the hump. The hump also prevents me from bringing my foot back like you can on the left foot. Its most noticeable when your on a long commute; theres nowhere for your right leg & foot to go besides on the pedal. Cruise control is kinda pointless for me on the car because of that.
Old 08-08-21, 11:47 AM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 239 Posts

Its not necessarily the hump in a way, its what the hump forces your ankle/foot to do. You either have to have your entire foot on the pedal, or if you bring your foot down the pedal at all you are forced to angle your foot around the hump. The hump also prevents me from bringing my foot back like you can on the left foot. Its most noticeable when your on a long commute; theres nowhere for your right leg & foot to go besides on the pedal. Cruise control is kinda pointless for me on the car because of that.
On a long open cruise, I fold my right leg under the left and relax. Not a safety issue, as I’m a left foot braker for 50 years.
AquaMayne (09-07-21)

Quick Reply: Lexus IS Regret?