IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus IS Regret?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-19, 07:03 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

The guys who went German in this forum are pretty unbiased especially if you visit a BMW forum. The Germans right now do luxury better than Lexus and they are quicker but seem to be way more expensive. The BMW 330 is pretty slow and the 340 is decently quick but may cost and arm and a leg depending on options. The G70 has decent speed too but has no brand cache. It's really the OPs decision on what he wants the most...luxury, speed, or price. Pick 2 of those categories but you can't pick three
The following users liked this post:
momak (03-27-20)
Old 09-27-19, 07:16 AM
lexuscanuk
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No regrets, loving my IS350awd Executive edition I do have tilting mirrors, heated/ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, etc. Not the F-Sport but it is sporty enough for me. And I also installed an F-Sport cluster so I am good.
The following 2 users liked this post by lexuscanuk:
dteskmo (08-07-21), momak (03-27-20)
Old 09-27-19, 07:16 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The guys who went German in this forum are pretty unbiased especially if you visit a BMW forum. The Germans right now do luxury better than Lexus and they are quicker but seem to be way more expensive. The BMW 330 is pretty slow and the 340 is decently quick but may cost and arm and a leg depending on options. The G70 has decent speed too but has no brand cache. It's really the OPs decision on what he wants the most...luxury, speed, or price. Pick 2 of those categories but you can't pick three
Was actually gonna edit my original comment and add that I would most likely go German with my next vehicle purchase. Car mods for the 350 are plentiful, but many are not my taste. Definitely more BMW at heart, the more I reflect
momak (03-27-20)
Old 09-27-19, 07:26 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 287 Likes on 194 Posts

Me personally, I absolutely love my car and have zero regrets whatsoever. If I went back to the time when I was in the market I would buy the exact same car again. The ONLY thing I was slightly disappointed in was the lack of power compared to some of my previous vehicles, but I'm not a racer and rarely even have the need to really punch it, but if/when I do it does a good enough job to pass someone. The extreme comfort, style, handling, quiet ride (nice sound proofing) and reliability of the car keep me 100% happy with my purchase.
momak (03-27-20)
Old 09-27-19, 07:37 AM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts

I would agree with most in this thread - I have zero regrets with my '18 IS350 F-Sport AWD as well. Just wished I had a little more time to drive it, as it's not my daily driver vehicle.

Aside from a few "issues" that have been brought up multiple times in this forum such as:
  • Awkward cup holder locations
  • Inner tire wear
  • Old school infotainment center
... I really have no gripes with the car but then again, I bought it knowing these issues that I can live with. Another plus is I don't need to do many mods to it, as the car has the basic look/feel that I've wanted. It handles well, looks aggressive and has a decent sound system (I have the ML system). I agree it's not the fastest ride I've driven, but I'm not looking to race or track it either...

At a similar price point, I don't know any other luxury sport sedan that I would want and this is a huge upgrade for me from my 2004 Corolla.
momak (03-27-20)
Old 09-27-19, 08:05 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,660 Posts

330i does 0-60 in 5.2s. I wouldn't call that slow. (to whoever said that)

The reason the IS lacks in terms of features is because Lexus still is a conservative company. And the IS was designed in an era (2012-ish likely) where Lexus was even more conservative than it is today with their today-designed cars. So it doubles down on conservatism. This means it'll share basic electronics and sub-systems with lower end Toyota models for the most part. The most technologically forward thing about the 3IS was concenrtated around its chassis development and rear suspension design which debuted in the 2013 GS--it was a huge leap at the time.

The Germans on the other hand are very aggressive with new tech. They do not really care about blemishing their reliability reputation should things go wrong with their new tech. They just take huge chances. Whether or not that's good or bad is up to the company and their perception of their reputation. BMW and Mercedes still sell very well despite the tech they put in their cars, so to them it doesn't really matter. Because euro makes have brand perception and image going for them. Lexus doesn't quite compare in that arena, so their fallback is their reliability reputation. So this naturally makes them slow and hesitant, and frankly, unable to make huge leaps in tech and features. If someone's going to buy an unreliable car, it's certainly not going to be an unreliable Lexus.

Now as "prehistoric" as the 3IS already is, we can see how it's fairly riddled with gremlins, failing amps, failing hvac, failing LED modules, clusters, etc etc. They're 2/10ths the way into big boy territory but with 5/7th of the problems. I call these growing pains, and it's inevitable regardless of the country of manufacturer. I've said these things quite a few years ago when people would criticize the germans and praise Lexus. I told them it's because they're thinking of their grandpa's 1990 Lexus and lumping it in with a 2020 BMW. Try taking that Lexus and injecting it with BMW-level tech and suddenly things won't be so rosey. All those goodies and tech, no matter what make of car they come on, they come at a cost. Nothing comes for free.

That being said, enjoy the IS. It has good bones and its powertrain is somewhat ancient, but decently solid. It's a car you can have a decent amount of fun with without having to worry about the mechanicals.

Just keep a spare amp and LED DRLs in the trunk. And a healthy budget for front tires and brakes.
The following 2 users liked this post by E46CT:
momak (03-27-20), premier3IS (09-27-19)
Old 09-27-19, 08:19 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Great thread. I think the part about being self-conscious about performance does resonate with me a little, especially since non-car-guys look at this car and think it's super sporty. I was telling my former manager about how I got only 19 MPG (don't remember how we got on the subject...), and he said "Well that's what you get for buying a sports car!" I'm thinking to myself, "Sports car? Last time I checked, those don't have four doors..." But, it illustrates the point that people see the IS as being a bit sportier than it is. It's a sheep in wolf's clothing - which isn't a bad thing in and of itself. You get the emotional effect of having something really sporty, but without getting beaten up on the commute. Over time I've accepted more and more that it isn't A) a German car or B) a "sports car". It's a reliable, somewhat fun daily runabout that happens to have really good road manners and excellent handling. Sure, it's not going to float down the road like a cloud, like you'd get in some other Lexus products like the ES, for instance, but it does strike a good balance of not completely falling apart on rough road surfaces while still providing confidence.

I know the IS's interior isn't to a lot of people's taste, but I think it has some really strong points. The plastics on the center console are "meh". The trim throughout the car is largely plastic, even if it looks metal. However, I do realize that most passengers are surprised when they get in the car. Mainly, I think it's the seats. The seats are well-bolstered but not too difficult to get in and out of. And the Rioja Red is always a crowd-pleaser. I do wish the IS had more storage, however. There's nowhere to put things except the door pockets, small glove box, and small center console. Thankfully the trunk feels an awful lot bigger than the 10.8 cu ft. measurement suggests, and is perfectly-sized for two weeks' worth of groceries.

I think my appetite for performance, especially power, has grown recently. I've driven some legitimately quick cars since getting my IS - some of which, like the Model X P100D, are just insane and unnecessary, but others, like the Stinger, still feel usable yet satisfying. So I am probably going to get something with a similar power/acceleration level to that, when I replace the IS. Probably my biggest regret with the IS is that I didn't get the additional power of the 350.

Overall, I know the IS isn't a perfect car, but I have no regrets (other than not getting a 350) in owning one. It will go down as the car that really got me excited about cars in general. I've had a lot of fun adventures in this car - drifting in the snow, carving up some mountain roads, and just generally living with it for 3 years. It's been able to do all that without experiencing any major issues, which is great on its own.
Settle4 (09-27-19)
Old 09-27-19, 08:29 AM
Settle4
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Great thread. I think the part about being self-conscious about performance does resonate with me a little, especially since non-car-guys look at this car and think it's super sporty. I was telling my former manager about how I got only 19 MPG (don't remember how we got on the subject...), and he said "Well that's what you get for buying a sports car!" I'm thinking to myself, "Sports car? Last time I checked, those don't have four doors..." But, it illustrates the point that people see the IS as being a bit sportier than it is. It's a sheep in wolf's clothing - which isn't a bad thing in and of itself. You get the emotional effect of having something really sporty, but without getting beaten up on the commute. Over time I've accepted more and more that it isn't A) a German car or B) a "sports car". It's a reliable, somewhat fun daily runabout that happens to have really good road manners and excellent handling. Sure, it's not going to float down the road like a cloud, like you'd get in some other Lexus products like the ES, for instance, but it does strike a good balance of not completely falling apart on rough road surfaces while still providing confidence.

I know the IS's interior isn't to a lot of people's taste, but I think it has some really strong points. The plastics on the center console are "meh". The trim throughout the car is largely plastic, even if it looks metal. However, I do realize that most passengers are surprised when they get in the car. Mainly, I think it's the seats. The seats are well-bolstered but not too difficult to get in and out of. And the Rioja Red is always a crowd-pleaser. I do wish the IS had more storage, however. There's nowhere to put things except the door pockets, small glove box, and small center console. Thankfully the trunk feels an awful lot bigger than the 10.8 cu ft. measurement suggests, and is perfectly-sized for two weeks' worth of groceries.

I think my appetite for performance, especially power, has grown recently. I've driven some legitimately quick cars since getting my IS - some of which, like the Model X P100D, are just insane and unnecessary, but others, like the Stinger, still feel usable yet satisfying. So I am probably going to get something with a similar power/acceleration level to that, when I replace the IS. Probably my biggest regret with the IS is that I didn't get the additional power of the 350.

Overall, I know the IS isn't a perfect car, but I have no regrets (other than not getting a 350) in owning one. It will go down as the car that really got me excited about cars in general. I've had a lot of fun adventures in this car - drifting in the snow, carving up some mountain roads, and just generally living with it for 3 years. It's been able to do all that without experiencing any major issues, which is great on its own.
Thanks for the in-depth response. There are so many good posts on this thread that I must reply to when I get more time.

The one regret I don't have is not getting the "350". It bothered me quite a bit at first but after driving the 350 I couldn't tell the difference from the seat. Link to my comparison video here.

I thought maybe the video might make you feel better as well. I was going to do the RR Racing tune, but I doubt the added performance will be all that noticeable. I also worry about voiding my warranty. The risk vs reward isn't high enough to convince me yet.

Let me know what you think of the video.
Old 09-27-19, 08:41 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

At the same time, have you compared directly against a base model BMW 3 series or Mercedes C class? They're all the same, cheap components and faux materials. That's why consumer reports and many other reputable sources reference the IS, 3 series, and C-class as the ultimate lease vehicle for millennials who want to show like they have money by owning a "luxury" car. By no means would I consider a base model IS, 3 series, or C class a luxury car despite the name behind them. You really have to step up into the GS, 5 series, or E class to get going anywhere with the top 3 luxury brands.
Old 09-27-19, 08:44 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by E46CT
330i does 0-60 in 5.2s. I wouldn't call that slow. (to whoever said that)

The reason the IS lacks in terms of features is because Lexus still is a conservative company. And the IS was designed in an era (2012-ish likely) where Lexus was even more conservative than it is today with their today-designed cars. So it doubles down on conservatism. This means it'll share basic electronics and sub-systems with lower end Toyota models for the most part. The most technologically forward thing about the 3IS was concenrtated around its chassis development and rear suspension design which debuted in the 2013 GS--it was a huge leap at the time.

The Germans on the other hand are very aggressive with new tech. They do not really care about blemishing their reliability reputation should things go wrong with their new tech. They just take huge chances. Whether or not that's good or bad is up to the company and their perception of their reputation. BMW and Mercedes still sell very well despite the tech they put in their cars, so to them it doesn't really matter. Because euro makes have brand perception and image going for them. Lexus doesn't quite compare in that arena, so their fallback is their reliability reputation. So this naturally makes them slow and hesitant, and frankly, unable to make huge leaps in tech and features. If someone's going to buy an unreliable car, it's certainly not going to be an unreliable Lexus.

Now as "prehistoric" as the 3IS already is, we can see how it's fairly riddled with gremlins, failing amps, failing hvac, failing LED modules, clusters, etc etc. They're 2/10ths the way into big boy territory but with 5/7th of the problems. I call these growing pains, and it's inevitable regardless of the country of manufacturer. I've said these things quite a few years ago when people would criticize the germans and praise Lexus. I told them it's because they're thinking of their grandpa's 1990 Lexus and lumping it in with a 2020 BMW. Try taking that Lexus and injecting it with BMW-level tech and suddenly things won't be so rosey. All those goodies and tech, no matter what make of car they come on, they come at a cost. Nothing comes for free.

That being said, enjoy the IS. It has good bones and its powertrain is somewhat ancient, but decently solid. It's a car you can have a decent amount of fun with without having to worry about the mechanicals.

Just keep a spare amp and LED DRLs in the trunk. And a healthy budget for front tires and brakes.
I don't think the 3IS has 5/7th of the problems. I had my 3IS for about 5 years and completely trouble free. Yes it ate tires and brakes but thats my driving style that contributed to that. Frankly, the 330 is pathetically slow for the price you pay. A decent optioned one is $50k with all the safety gizmos and to get that 5.2 seconds, you have to use launch control Horsepower is super cheap these days and a G70 loaded blasts its way to mid 4s and costs less than $50k. The 330 also loses a lot of steam up top...the 340 is worth every penny above the 330 (even then the 340 has decent speed but not that fast). These days speed has been redefined. Sports cars are getting under 3 seconds which is fast. Anything over 3 seconds is decently quick and it takes something in the mid 4s range to be considered decent.

5 to 6 second range is family sedan territory now
The following 3 users liked this post by EZZ:
davyjordi (09-27-19), Flash5 (09-28-19), Sasnuke (09-27-19)
Old 09-27-19, 09:07 AM
taktiks
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I wanted a reasonably nice car with low total cost of ownership to use as a comfortable (but not boring) daily driver. This left me firmly in the Japanese camp. The offerings from Infiniti were meh, I didn't want anything FWD so Acura was out, which only left Lexus.

Let me preface this by saying that although I've driven more cars than I can remember, I've only ever purchased BMW and Lexus models. I am absolutely a BMW fanboy, but with the mileage I have to put down these days, reliability and maintenance costs were a huge factor, so Lexus it is.

The IS is simply different. I see fewer of them on the road, and when I do see one, it stands out more than the Germans do. I refused to get anything other than the 350, and if you have the ability, I would definitely recommend not getting anything other than the 350 due to how slow and unresponsive the other two engine options are. It's not fast, but its fast enough, and it's comfortable while being fun when I want to toss it around a bit.

From what I've seen with BMW these days, there's a good chance I'll stick with Lexus for the foreseeable future until I manage to get to the point where I can move to Porsche instead of BMW. There's plenty of fun to be had with the LC500 and the RC-F to me.
Old 09-27-19, 09:48 AM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Whoever is saying the 330i is 'slow' must not realized that it's quicker than their coveted IS350s lol. Also, comparing it to the IS250 or 200t is out of the question, they are not in the same league. If you go on the BMW forums... not a single Lexus is ever discussed in any thread (apart from them making fun on the grill and comparing the new M4 grill to it). I'm not bashing the IS (I've had one), I'm just bringing up valid points since it seems like the crowd is uninformed and loves to bash BMW for some odd reason.

There is no launch control from what I know as well on the 330i for the US version, that is for your international non US 330i models only. M340i does has launch control though.

And for the ones saying its expensive and you can have cars for under 50k with more power, you can say the same for your IS.... You can get a Camry for more power than your IS too... End of day, you are paying a premium for your badges, that's always been the case. As far as being expensive, that's good, I'm happy... don't want the average Joe getting into a new BMW anyways. Glad they got rid of the BMWs such as the 320i which were around 35-37k starting or whatever it was.

Point being, you can enjoy your Lexus and us others can enjoy our cars. I see no reason to bash one since if it gets to that point, trust me the IS loses overall.
Old 09-27-19, 09:56 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by premier3IS
Whoever is saying the 330i is 'slow' must not realized that it's quicker than their coveted IS350s lol. Also, comparing it to the IS250 or 200t is out of the question, they are not in the same league. If you go on the BMW forums... not a single Lexus is ever discussed in any thread (apart from them making fun on the grill and comparing the new M4 grill to it). I'm not bashing the IS (I've had one), I'm just bringing up valid points since it seems like the crowd is uninformed and loves to bash BMW for some odd reason.

There is no launch control from what I know as well on the 330i for the US version, that is for your international non US 330i models only. M340i does has launch control though.

And for the ones saying its expensive and you can have cars for under 50k with more power, you can say the same for your IS.... You can get a Camry for more power than your IS too... End of day, you are paying a premium for your badges, that's always been the case. As far as being expensive, that's good, I'm happy... don't want the average Joe getting into a new BMW anyways. Glad they got rid of the BMWs such as the 320i which were around 35-37k starting or whatever it was.

Point being, you can enjoy your Lexus and us others can enjoy our cars. I see no reason to bash one since if it gets to that point, trust me the IS loses overall.
I don't think anyone is bashing the BMWs. I think a lot of people think its overpriced (me included) but no one is saying its a bad car. I agree that the IS350 is now really slow as well as the 330. Again, family sedan territory The new G20 feels more luxurious than the current IS...i honestly can't recommend a 2019/2020 IS series anymore just because its so old. For those that got it in 2013/2014 timeframe, it was a very competitive car. Not so much anymore.
momak (03-27-20)
Old 09-27-19, 10:06 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by premier3IS

It’s not just about 0-60 and hp. Obviously on the grand scale of performance an IS at the bottom, but when you consider factors like reliability, resale value, brand significance their towards the top. Toyota/Lexus is annually ranked #1 in resale and reliability, that’s 2 HUGE factors the average car buyer considers.

but yes, in terms of pure performance, power train, etc the IS is bottom of the sporty car class.
And motor trend tested a 2014 is350 fsport awd and got a 5.3 second 0-60...that’s only 1-10th second slower then a 330i. For a 3800 pound luxury/sporty sedan with epic reliability that’s not to shabby.
Old 09-27-19, 10:19 AM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I don't think anyone is bashing the BMWs. I think a lot of people think its overpriced (me included) but no one is saying its a bad car. I agree that the IS350 is now really slow as well as the 330. Again, family sedan territory The new G20 feels more luxurious than the current IS...i honestly can't recommend a 2019/2020 IS series anymore just because its so old. For those that got it in 2013/2014 timeframe, it was a very competitive car. Not so much anymore.
I agree, if you got in early it was a great car... got me so many compliments back then too. The sharp lines and looks of the car were something special. Now, its just way to outdated.

I know you mention the 3 series being expensive, but think about it.. if it was cheaper it would diminish the value of the brand. If it was a 35k car many wouldn't look at it the same way as now. The BMW target market is upper middle-class so I'm sure the people pricing these cars have taken into factor many points. I think the price point currently is fair, but it wasn't in the previous 3 series gen.

Also, 5.2 seconds is not slow lol. What is fast to you since you mentioned this, I'm just curious:
'Anything over 3 seconds is decently quick and it takes something in the mid 4s range to be considered decent.' You consider 3s as decently quick and mid 4s as decent only??? First time I've heard as 3s being decently quick lol.

Last edited by premier3IS; 09-27-19 at 10:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS Regret?