IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus IS Regret?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-19, 10:30 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by premier3IS
I agree, if you got in early it was a great car... got me so many compliments back then too. The sharp lines and looks of the car were something special. Now, its just way to outdated.

I know you mention the 3 series being expensive, but think about it.. if it was cheaper it would diminish the value of the brand. If it was a 35k car many wouldn't look at it the same way as now. The BMW target market is upper middle-class so I'm sure the people pricing these cars have taken into factor many points. I think the price point currently is fair, but it wasn't in the previous 3 series gen.

Also, 5.2 seconds is not slow lol. What is fast to you since you mentioned this, I'm just curious:
'Anything over 3 seconds is decently quick and it takes something in the mid 4s range to be considered decent.' You consider 3s as decently quick and mid 4s as decent only??? First time I've heard as 3s being decently quick lol.
I used to think my Tesla Model 3 Performance was extremely fast until I rode in my friends P100D and he showed me Ludicrous. It was so fast i thought my eyes would be sucked into my brain...and now I know what truly fast speed is. My car actually doesn't feel that fast anymore...its decent but not in that class. The new C8 is supposed to do 0-60 in under 3 seconds and its under $70k and GTRs do that all day. As I said, fast in an absolute scale, is in that class of automobile. Anything under that 3 second barrier is just plain fast and lots of cars can get there now.
Old 09-27-19, 10:43 AM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I used to think my Tesla Model 3 Performance was extremely fast until I rode in my friends P100D and he showed me Ludicrous. It was so fast i thought my eyes would be sucked into my brain...and now I know what truly fast speed is. My car actually doesn't feel that fast anymore...its decent but not in that class. The new C8 is supposed to do 0-60 in under 3 seconds and its under $70k and GTRs do that all day. As I said, fast in an absolute scale, is in that class of automobile. Anything under that 3 second barrier is just plain fast and lots of cars can get there now.
While I agree that the P100D is ridiculously quick, but now we are talking P100D money which is around 130k plus. We wont be getting these speeds in a 50k car, so that's out of discussion.

I still think what you get for a 50k 3 series is great, but hey that's just my opinion I guess. Also, isn't a well optioned 2019 or 2020 IS350 F-Sport around 50k as well lol? Wouldn't that be considered 'a slow and overpriced car' too then? Just saying...

Also, appreciate you saying the ones who went German are unbiased on this forum... I'm glad you noticed that.

Last edited by premier3IS; 09-27-19 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-27-19, 11:30 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by premier3IS
Whoever is saying the 330i is 'slow' must not realized that it's quicker than their coveted IS350s lol. Also, comparing it to the IS250 or 200t is out of the question, they are not in the same league. If you go on the BMW forums... not a single Lexus is ever discussed in any thread (apart from them making fun on the grill and comparing the new M4 grill to it). I'm not bashing the IS (I've had one), I'm just bringing up valid points since it seems like the crowd is uninformed and loves to bash BMW for some odd reason.

There is no launch control from what I know as well on the 330i for the US version, that is for your international non US 330i models only. M340i does has launch control though.

And for the ones saying its expensive and you can have cars for under 50k with more power, you can say the same for your IS.... You can get a Camry for more power than your IS too... End of day, you are paying a premium for your badges, that's always been the case. As far as being expensive, that's good, I'm happy... don't want the average Joe getting into a new BMW anyways. Glad they got rid of the BMWs such as the 320i which were around 35-37k starting or whatever it was.

Point being, you can enjoy your Lexus and us others can enjoy our cars. I see no reason to bash one since if it gets to that point, trust me the IS loses overall.
I don't think anyone would be bashing BMW specifically if ya fanboy didn't start it.
And BMW is only mentioned on this forum cause ya fanboy started it...with the bashing.
You see the common denominator here?
In all likelihood we would probably have a respectful comparison about the luxury brands on here, but once again, fanboy...
I think it's good that Lexus has a wide lineup that many can afford from a CT all the way to an LS...I wouldn't purposely slash models just to discriminate against buyers. And I've driven (not owned) a 320i, and it's pretty quick...but you're still paying over $50K CAD for it.

Reality is, it's not win or lose...it's what you like, and more importantly, what you can afford.
I can afford to own and maintain an IS...well after the warranty is done.
I can afford to lease a BMW/MB, but there's no way I can afford to maintain it the day after the warranty ends.
Don't get me wrong, BMW/MB/Audi all have some crazy tech in there cars that are really cool...but you talk to people that work for those brands and they all agree they would never own one...and I mean own, not lease....ooowwwwnnnn...just too many problems, and the repairs are too expensive.

And just to clarify this: "Now as "prehistoric" as the 3IS already is, we can see how it's fairly riddled with gremlins, failing amps, failing hvac, failing LED modules, clusters, etc etc. They're 2/10ths the way into big boy territory but with 5/7th of the problems."
1. Amp failures right now have been limited to the 2014 IS...we are now into 2019 models...it's hard to condemn an entire lineup over 6 years for a part that failed in the first model year, and only the first model year
2. There have been a few HVAC issues that have been addressed...and it's not rampant by any means
3. Yes, some of the cat-eye DRL's have failed
4. Clusters - it's literally a cluster...meaning one, and that was the sliding mechanism for the F Sport ring, the actual display still works perfectly fine...hardly even worth mentioning
The following 2 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
cliffhokie (10-02-19), momak (03-27-20)
Old 09-27-19, 11:46 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

So much I want to chime in with but all been said really.

The 3IS fits into it's class just fine in terms of everything the OP mentioned.

Imo one of the best looking cars on the road period, any class. "On the road" doesn't include that super car you see in magazines or once a month.

In that sense, as much as I appreciate about BMW and MC the 3 series and c class aren't even in the same book when it comes to styling. Boring.

Do I wish my IS could out run that mustang GT I see everywhere and they paid the same or less... Yes I do lol.
The following 3 users liked this post by HOMER350:
AtomicAWD (10-02-19), momak (03-27-20), Sasnuke (09-27-19)
Old 09-27-19, 11:57 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

My mind must be living in the past where sub 5 seconds was respctably fast. Wow have times changed.
Old 09-27-19, 11:59 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Imo one of the best looking cars on the road period, any class. "On the road" doesn't include that super car you see in magazines or once a month.

In that sense, as much as I appreciate about BMW and MC the 3 series and c class aren't even in the same book when it comes to styling. Boring.
Thanks what I'm saying...around me you can throw a rock in any direction and hit a BMW/MB...the styling, to me, is just run of the mill.
But like I did say, those M's and AMG's do sound good.
Old 09-27-19, 12:51 PM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Absolutely no regrets, many points have been listed, so i am not gonna repeat them. Would just like to say even today, after nearly three years, I still turn around to admire the car when i walk away after i locked it.
The following 2 users liked this post by zhifan1:
dteskmo (09-27-19), Sasnuke (09-27-19)
Old 09-27-19, 01:11 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by RageRacerM
My mind must be living in the past where sub 5 seconds was respctably fast. Wow have times changed.
Dont you live in Cali? All I see are Teslas down here in so-cal that eat BMWs for breakfast on my morning commutes I can say one thing though...i stopped looking back at my car when I got rid of the IS350. To me, it was the best looking car in its class by far.
Old 09-27-19, 01:25 PM
dteskmo
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuscanuk
No regrets, loving my IS350awd Executive edition I do have tilting mirrors, heated/ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, etc. Not the F-Sport but it is sporty enough for me. And I also installed an F-Sport cluster so I am good.
I also have no regrets with my IS350 AWD Executive Edition (which also has real-leather memory seats).
Old 09-27-19, 01:54 PM
athanato
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

You are attempting to compare top of the line non-luxury brand cars with an entry level luxury brand and just adding a higher HP engine to them does not make them sporty. Camry, Avalon, or Optima are a different segment/clientele than the IS. Older driver vs younger.
I test drove the 2019 ES350 which is based off the Avalon and has a whopping 1hp more, at no point did I think or feel that is was a sporty car, it was still a sluggish old man's car all be it nice looking.
My only disappointment with my 2018 IS is that Lexus cheapened out with the trunk compared to my previous 2010 IS. It is lighter thus requires more force to close with the internal handle and the interior is cheaper quality and design vs the 2010. On the 2010 the trunk arms are hidden in the trunk lining giving you a clean premium presentation where as the 3rd gen design leaves them exposed like a cheap American car would. A very silly thing to cheap out on, other than that the car is solid.
Old 09-27-19, 01:56 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Dont you live in Cali? All I see are Teslas down here in so-cal that eat BMWs for breakfast on my morning commutes I can say one thing though...i stopped looking back at my car when I got rid of the IS350. To me, it was the best looking car in its class by far.
Currently out of state, but yeah lived in SoCal for 20+ years. Will be back by the end of the year. I know what you mean about seeing Tesla galore. I actually had a pre-order for a Model 3 (got email and pics for proof) but I needed a newer car a lot sooner than I had anticipated (was hit by a Ford F150). Dont get me wrong, I know how fast electric vehicles are and everything else is out there. I guess my perception of what the general public defines as fast in 2019 is just way off. 0-60 times is just one component of everything I look at, and I'll choose a slower car if it means it suits my needs/personality more.

Just cause a vehicle has a 0-60 of 3 seconds (chosen at random), doesnt mean I'll pick it. Cockpit layout, power delivery, the way the vehicle feels, if I'm trading performance for reliability, etc etc. all that subjective stuff will guide my decision. Im of the mindset that theres always gonna be a faster car out there. Totally went on a tangent here, but honestly my dream project car would be an E46 M3. Not the fastest, not the easiest to modify for power, but man do I love the way that thing drives.
Old 09-27-19, 02:08 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I don't think anyone would be bashing BMW specifically if ya fanboy didn't start it.
And BMW is only mentioned on this forum cause ya fanboy started it...with the bashing.
You see the common denominator here?
In all likelihood we would probably have a respectful comparison about the luxury brands on here, but once again, fanboy...
I think it's good that Lexus has a wide lineup that many can afford from a CT all the way to an LS...I wouldn't purposely slash models just to discriminate against buyers. And I've driven (not owned) a 320i, and it's pretty quick...but you're still paying over $50K CAD for it.

Reality is, it's not win or lose...it's what you like, and more importantly, what you can afford.
I can afford to own and maintain an IS...well after the warranty is done.
I can afford to lease a BMW/MB, but there's no way I can afford to maintain it the day after the warranty ends.
Don't get me wrong, BMW/MB/Audi all have some crazy tech in there cars that are really cool...but you talk to people that work for those brands and they all agree they would never own one...and I mean own, not lease....ooowwwwnnnn...just too many problems, and the repairs are too expensive.

And just to clarify this: "Now as "prehistoric" as the 3IS already is, we can see how it's fairly riddled with gremlins, failing amps, failing hvac, failing LED modules, clusters, etc etc. They're 2/10ths the way into big boy territory but with 5/7th of the problems."
1. Amp failures right now have been limited to the 2014 IS...we are now into 2019 models...it's hard to condemn an entire lineup over 6 years for a part that failed in the first model year, and only the first model year
2. There have been a few HVAC issues that have been addressed...and it's not rampant by any means
3. Yes, some of the cat-eye DRL's have failed
4. Clusters - it's literally a cluster...meaning one, and that was the sliding mechanism for the F Sport ring, the actual display still works perfectly fine...hardly even worth mentioning
I don't really care what others say or state, my points were made by me. I've been on this forum long enough to see the BMW hate for no reason actually. My comparisons of the two cars have been fair and I've owned both so that gives me an edge. Once again, the IS shouldn't even be in the same sentence as the 3 series from what I've experienced. So many people complaining about the price... If you cannot afford it (new obviously) then find something that you can, its not made to be afforded by everyone (and that's the beauty of it), move on.

This convo will never end going back and forth, even with my unbiased comments I'll most likely get hate over it... because well.... I'm commenting about a BMW on a Lexus forum.

You guys can enjoy your IS, I'll enjoy my 330i
Old 09-27-19, 02:35 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Thanks what I'm saying...around me you can throw a rock in any direction and hit a BMW/MB...the styling, to me, is just run of the mill.
But like I did say, those M's and AMG's do sound good.
Agreed 100%.
My IS sounds better with the intake and exhaust. Still mellow axle back. Not so mellow look with those polished cans which I like most days.
Originally Posted by EZZ
I'm in so cal too, and yup.

I still give the look back daily after I park and walk into the office or home
Old 09-27-19, 02:40 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

If I may chime in. M340 is extremely quick . It’s faster than all previous M3,s and almost on par in acceleration with current non competition M3. It’s faster than the C43 , S5 etc. I don’t know where this talk about it not being extremely quick come from. Don’t mention the Tesla since that’s not a fair comparison.The car is faster than any car lexus makes to 60 except the track rcf. Regular rcf will only be faster above 140 or so. M340 hits 120 plus in blink of an eye in comfort mode not even sport plus. And the car shines even more on track.

The reviewers who all tested it on track before it debuts rave at how great it was there. As far as I am concerned it’s already too fast for the street if driven hard. If that’s not fast I don’t know what is. Car putting down 390 plus hp and over 400 lb ft toque on dynos stock despite what BMW claims. 3is is old and is no faster than the new 330. Those are facts. 3is was never fast, even the 2is were faster. We can wait to see what Lexus does with the 4IS and then compare but know that this G20 is superior to the F30 in every way.
Old 09-27-19, 03:21 PM
tmiller43
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Slight regret, it somewhat bothers me. I went for an IS200T, hoping the aftermarket tuning community would give it a nice bump in power, and also read this one handles better due to the better weight distribution from the smaller engine. However, its not as quick as I was hoping, and on top of that im concerned with long term reliability, as turbo motors are under a lot more stress and this motor is still fairly new, so reliability is still up in the air. I keep regretting getting this instead of a 3IS but I guess im kinda locked in now until this Is paid off...

Quick Reply: Lexus IS Regret?